Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone - it is now 5 days that my snorting Bailey has been home and she is the most adorable little thing I have ever seem. (proud mom!)

Anyway, when will I get her attention??? I have been trying to get her to sit before I put her food down and she just runs away on me. Am I excepting too much too soon? She will be 8 weeks on Sunday.

She knows her name. When she is in the crate and starts whining at nite, I say Bailey sleep and that works.
But to get her attention - HELP!

Here is an update pic of Bailey

Attachments

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
She's adorable.

Try to be very interesting. I carry a squeeky toy that they never get to play with in my pocket to get their attention quickly.  Don't overuse that toy however.  Get out a toy that squeeks and squeek it and throw it saying "go play or get", use a treat in your pocket to get a sit.  It helps the bonding to have the crate in the bedroom at night so that the pup can be close to you.  Put her on a six foot leash and have her follow you around the house for a little while.   It just takes time.  She is very young.  Training is a lifelong adventure.  Enroll her in an obedience class (Please, not at Petsmart) when she is 4 -5 months old.  It will help you and her socialize and bond.  Go buy the book "Mother Knows Best" by Carole Benjamin it is chock full of helpful puppy training tips.

Best of luck

Nano

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
She is absolutely adorable....What a cutie....It definitely helps if you make things a game for her. The squeaky is a great idea, the sound alone always works for mine, no matter what age. Keep your voice upbeat and fun sounding so she will learn the difference if you have to reprimand her for something. Use your hands, I found that very helpful. Get down on her level, she's small, I found it was easier when Buck was a puupy to get on the floor so he could see my face.

Good luck and feel free to ask questions, better to ask than not to know, right? Most of all, enjoy... :)

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I think all has been said already about getting her attention. Just wanted to add that she is so cute! Enjoy her while she is so little!  :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I am going to let her have thursday and friday off. I am going to start fresh on saturday because I will have 4 straight days to work with her.
She does listen to me more than anyone else in the house. That I have noticed.
I just I just forgot what is was like to have a puppy again.
I will try the squeaky toy thing.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Linda

1 - 6 of 6 Posts