Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, i've mentioned before that I got Jessie from a BYB in South Carolina off of puppyfind.com... I have since learned so much from people on the internet about the right way to go about getting a dog...

Where did you guys get your pooches...?????????????

·
Registered
378 Posts
I got Rocky my all white male from a breeder in West Liberty,Ohio and I got Star my flashy fawn from a breeder in Rushsylvania,Ohio.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
We got our first white boxer girl Cleo from a back yard breeder near Clarion, Pennsylvania. My wife and I have learned soooo much since then. Our crazy girl Daisy was from a breeder that was located south of Akron, Ohio.

Cleo had cardiomypathy, so we were very careful with the next addition to our family. I think we saw about 10 different breeders in Pennsylvania and Ohio. I know my wife screened over 30 on the phone. She took notes on an excel spreadsheet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ghost was in the DOGG HOUSE!WHAT!! AKA a shelter. But he was originally purchased at a pet store, and they charged $1200 for him in 2000.OUch That person must have feel for the RARE sales pitch.. GLad it was not me.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Matt-n-Ghost\";p=\"2460 said:
Ghost was in the DOGG HOUSE!WHAT!! AKA a shelter.
lol!!!

im definitely rescuing next time...

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Buster was purchased from a pet store!  :evil:  Yeah, I learned!! And, I got Maddie from Boxer Rescue.

·
Registered
616 Posts
We got Scout from a BYB here in Illinois....that was before I read all about it on here.  We rescued Gunner from Paducah, KY.  Yeah, that's an 8 hr round trip drive from here plus about 3 hrs to finally load him up and head home.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I got my Chatito from a BYB with so called "registry papers" (CKC: Continental Kennel Club) from McAllen, TX, and I have no regrets. Since I've got him I've done tons of research, so far no health problems, and parents look in outstanding health as well. They were good people, but next time, I know the right steps to take when making an addition to the family!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I got Cactus from a BYB here in Phoenix.  I had done research on the breed characteristics but not conformation.  My little guy certainly is not show quality, even with out the seizures, but he is the best pet anyone could ask for!
~Anne

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
My first boxer Buck was a gift to my ex and yea, I did all the research too, thought I was buying from a good place..blah blah..Well he's papered (akc), but no health guaranties, nor did I ask as I don't know any better!!!!

The following year we adopted Tia from Boxer Rescue in LA..Those 2 were and I'm sure still are, inseparable...

When I moved to Bama, the first thing I did was find a Boxer Rescue and that's how Samson came into my life :)

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
We got Henry from the Brazos Animal Shelter in Bryan, TX.  That's about 250 miles north of home!
Long story short, Henry's full boxer.  Dad was "papered" mom was not.  He's a great pup!
Zhanna

·
Registered
770 Posts
We had Daisy from a reputable breeder. We were initially after a fawn male boxer, but as soon as we saw the pics of Daisy, a white female, we fell in love with her straight away and went to see her! She was only 5 and a half weeks old when we first saw her, and the 2 and a half weeks we spent waiting to go and pick her up seemed to drag!
If we ever do have another boxer I would love to get a rescue! For now though I think Daisy's happy enough being an only child! (Well, alongside our 4 cats!)

Heather

·
Registered
14 Posts
we got our elwood from a well know breeder in the midwest. I did a lot of research before we were ready to commit to a breeder. Then had to wait a little over a year for elwood, well worth the wait. I would never buy from a byb but would adopt from a shelter or rescue in a minute.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Gunnar, our 2 yr old flashy fawn, came from a breeder in Abilene, TX.  He is AKC registered and we haven't had any hereditary problems, only eye allergies from all this West Texas dust!!  His disposition is also great, but I believe that comes from a lot of socialization!   Now I really did my homework with Ginger, our 10 week old.  We have been considering adding a second boxer for quite some time.  I have been burning up the internet, looking at puppies and health guarantees, and so forth.  For quite a while we were fostering a lab puppy, so of course my boxer baby had to wait till a suitable home was found for Missy.  Thankfully, she went to live with a fantastic family, which cleared the way for Ginger to come to us.  She was my daughter's 10th bday present, and was 8 weeks old on Nicole's birthday!  I finally chose a breeder down in Nacogdoches, TX  whose website I have been looking at for over a year.  She is AKC registered and has great bloodlines, they say she is show quality, but I don't think we'll go down that path.  My parents used to show rottweilers so I'm familiar with it, but, unfortunately DH and DC don't wish to pursue it.  Oh well, we'll just enjoy her as a pet!!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Nedra came from a backyard breeder and we've had nothing but problems with her health since day one. She really shouldn't be alive right now with all that she's been through, and it's cost us thousands in bills.

Pixie came from a reputable breeder in Ohio.

Mia came from a reputable breeder in Alaska.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BurningRiver\";p=\"2549 said:
Nedra came from a backyard breeder and we've had nothing but problems with her health since day one. She really shouldn't be alive right now with all that she's been through, and it's cost us thousands in bills.

Pixie came from a reputable breeder in Ohio.

Mia came from a reputable breeder in Alaska.
i really lucked out... knock on wood... i havent had any problems with jess

·
Registered
25 Posts
MY 1ST DOG WAS A BOXER ALI CROSS FRM A REHOMING SHELTER .
WHEN HE WAS ABOUT 5 MY SIS HAD GOT A BOXER MALE ABOUT SIX MNTHS EARLIER AND DECIDED SHE WANTED ONE TO KEEP HIM COMPANY SHE DECIDED ON A FEMALE  NOT TO BREED AS HER BOY IS UN PAPERED AND SHE DOES NOT KNOW THE FULL EXTENT OF HIS PEDIGREE . SHE SAW AN ADD IN LOCAL PAPER A 12WK OLD BOXER BITCH FOR SALE STRONG HEALTHY DOG FULL PEDIGREE IS WHAT ADD SAID

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OH MY GOD... that is awful...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts