Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the post on German boxer names got me to thinking - how did everyone choose their dogs' names?  I'm sure there's some interesting stories behind them!

Here's mine:

Tink - we had always planned to get a pair so were thinking along the lines of Belle & Beast, Hector & Andromecha (she'd have been Andi for short), etc. etc.  We finally decided on Tink(erbell) and Hook...

until...

We got Hector and he didn't look like a Hook at all!  I studied Classics for 5 years, so we called him Hector after my favourite character in Homer's Iliad.  (Unfortunately there's a rather annoying "personality" on Irish TV named Hector O hEochagain so everyone thinks he's named after him!)

·
Registered
405 Posts
When we rescued Abby, her name was Mya, as assigned by the boxer rescue. We actually liked the name, but my sister was pregnant, and didn't know the sex of the baby. If it was a girl, Mya was on her list of 20 something possible names. So out of the 50% chance that she would have a girl, there was a 5% chance that she may name her Mya. (Turned out it was a girl, but she was named after me!)
The night before we made our trip out to PA to get her, we had several friends over. One, who was not a dog person until he met our Abby (now he's in LOVE with her) was adament that we name her "Dammit," as that would most likely be the most used word in our vocabulary for a while. Ha!
Well, during the 5.5 hour trip back from PA, I just kept having this need to call her Abby, so it stuck. Of course, when she's in trouble, it's "ABIGAIL!!!"
Now Brady, we had in the house for a couple days before we chose a name. I had "Frankie" in my head...tehehe, my husband hated it.  I remembered that I had always liked the name Brady from, yes girls, Days of Our Lives. Who wouldn't...hahahha! So, without telling him where the name originated, Robert came in from taking Abby out and I said, "Brady?" After two days of laughing at the names the other would come up with, he said "hmm, ok."
Of course, everyone always thinks we named him after Tom Brady... think he's a nascar driver?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Fiona......Her "offical name" is Inga's Princess Fiona.  Her mothers name was Inga (keeping with the German names)....

I lost my Lab of 13 years to cancer/age back in October '06 and since I have been married for 8 years and have a 5 year old daughter, it is not hard to see who was with me the longest. I was not ready to get another until recently.  Of course my daughter has begged since about Christmas for another dog.  I told her she could help pick out the name, when the time came to get another.

My daughter is into Princess stuff.  Her room and all that.....We picked up Fiona about a week after my daughter saw Shrek 3.  She asked if she could name her Princess and I said no because we have a cat named Prince.  Then she said okay well, she is Princess Fiona and we can call her Fiona.  

I was okay with that because I always liked the name Fiona from "Fiona Apple"

·
Registered
405 Posts
Sharon---early in our dating days, we watched shrek together and always said from there on in that we would have shrek and fiona as our dogs. hahah...then we got Abby and thought we would have 2 female dogs...so we passed on Fiona. Then our male turned out to be Brady, the cocker spaniel. Shrek just isn't a great name for a 27lbs curly earred red and white parti cocker. hahah!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Nice idea Honeyec....Ok, here's my story....Buck was a gift to my ex and he was dead set on the name, but when i registered him I lengthened it out to include the kennel name to make it more exotic, hence Visions of Timbuktu..Tia didn't have a name when we adopted her and I struggled with that one for a bit, finally decided on Tia Maria for her..Samson was already named and I thought it suited him, so kept it..My original plan was when we got a female I was going to name her Delilah, but as Angel was very used to her name, even tho it doesn't suit her(she's more hellion than angel), we decided to keep it, plus it's also part of her registered name..D'onje's I'm Just A Country Angel.... :) Next male, I'm kinda leaning towards Zebidiah, Zeb for short...

·
Registered
316 Posts
When we  got Ginsy we had several names on the table but couldn't decide.  My husband wanted "Diesel"  but  i didn't like that for a girl,  he said it doesn't matter for a DOG :roll:
My DDs and I liked Daisy and Ginger but couldn't choose.  Then my youngest DS sugested we mix them so  we tried several combos  like - Daiger but we really liked Ginsy (pronounced Ginzy) so that is what stuck.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I picked Mia because I like the "a' sound in the name... (My late chihuahua -Nina-, my yorkie -Diva).. and since Diva was stolen, she was essentially Missing In Action (M.I.A.).. get it?? lol Hope i made that clear...

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
My sister was pregnant at the time I was looking for a dog so we were going through all different girls names and I came across Jessica, and I thought Jessie... and it stuck! lol...

My favorite movie is Jaws, and my sisters wanted me to name her Jaws, I decided Jessie is more fit for a female...

·
Registered
616 Posts
Ours have a military theme.  OH is a former Marine and liked the idea.  Scout(sniper) and (door)Gunner.  :wink:    I'm sure that any future boxers will follow suit.

·
Registered
780 Posts
This is a neat idea.  

Calli was our first we actually named her Calico because of her coloring as a puppy.  It was shortened to Calli.

Berkeley was our second and a rescue.  Her name was Mackinzie which we really didn't like and we wanted to give her a new start since she had been badly abused before we got her.  So we picked Berkeley because we got her from Berkeley County West Virginia.

Teaki we got as a puppy and found the name on a billboard sign on the way over to see her (ad for the Teaki Hut  :lol: ).  She was a brindle so the Teak fit her.

Ziggi was our hard one to name....we looked all over trying to find a name for him (got him in Amish country so not much to go on there).  We thought about Elmer (because that was the name of the Amish man we got her from) but didn't want to name a puppy that although now it would fit him very well.  We originally wanted to name him Joop which is a Dutch name.  Joop was my husbands uncle who had recently passed away but we were concerned that no one in the states would know how to say it properly so we changed it.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
When I started thinking of rescuing; I looked at names on the internet and wrote them down.  When I adopted Kiah her name was Molly.  I knew a Molly and the name did not bring up good memories so I remembered the list.  I had several Japanese names and Kiah was on there also.  Couldn't remember then where I had found the names but I liked Kiah (Ki for short) best so that is what I named her.  Since then I remembered that I had found the names on a website that had pet names from around the world and found the name Kiah again and found out what it meant.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Haylee was because we had always liked the name and it was runner up for our daughter's name.   Kaiser we chose because it is German and it was from the Usual Supects

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
[quote="mybaddogs\";p=\"13521":1a12f2ks]Haylee was because we had always liked the name and it was runner up for our daughter's name.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
One of my favorite movies!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Well Ian and I were on the couch and were thinking about the boxer and saying do you think your parents are going to let us get her? And I was thinking they better, but first what will her name be....Then Ian said what about Jessie then I was like alright that sounds good. At first I wanted like Roxy then I thought Jessie was a lot better

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
[quote="kiahsmom\";p=\"13520":3o9975ex]When I started thinking of rescuing; I looked at names on the internet and wrote them down.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Well when we got Savannah  her name was originally Mandi- I didnt really like the name and it didnt seem to fit her personality. After getting to know her once we brought her home we played around with a few names that meant Mahogany (her coloring)  i liked Sienna but my BF didnt like it. So we eventually went with Savannah because she seems to have that southern charm. She always puts one paw on  your knee and sits daintily.

Reese we had a little help from my daughter. With her coloring she looks like has chocolate drizzled over peanut butter. Since my daugher LOVES candy (what child doesnt?) we decided on Reese's Pieces-Reese for short.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
The breeder I got Chloe from had her named already but said we could change it once we got her. We knew as soon as we got her the name fit her perfectly. She is a miss prissy and came from Louisanna so the name Chloe Belle just shows what a prissy southern belle she is..lol

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
No, I thought about Willow cause I really like that movie but I forgot there was a Kiah :?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Sorry to get off topic, but i Chloebellesmommy I just noticed how much your Chloe looks like my old chloe!! The only dif i see is the spot of white on the nose-i was looking at the pic on both our sigs and if i still had my girl (she was stolen in Jan) i think she would be just as beautiful as your girl!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts