Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed many of you have mentioned being naive like myself and purchasing a puppy from a backyard breeder. I love my boy but I do live in constant fear that my boy will develop genetic health concerns I do my best to keep him healthy and fit as possible. I vowed to never get another back yard puppy and only get a reputable breeder. I was wondering who else has made this mistake.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
Me too, but, after joining this forum I have sure learned alot about the breed especially from 2manydogs, Kari Levitt Skinner. Also GoudasMom, Sue. These are just two of the most knowledgeable members here. Everyone here contributes and you can learn so much! Love these people!!!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Riley and Mason came from the same breeder. Looking back, I think they were BYB. I don't think she's a bad person at all, but I don't think that the health testing was done prior to breeding and her girl was never shown in confirmation. Riley and Mason had the same mom, but different fathers. I still keep in touch with this breeder, she no longer breeds.

Logan and Abby both come from reputable show breeders from AZ who also health test.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Me! Paid for it the first time with Hidie, she lasted two weeks of heartbreak, vet visits, late nights, IV's and she died in our arms of a heart attack a day longer then the vet thought she would make it...Parvo!

And now November 25th 2013. Struddell's hips went out on her 18 months ago. I work part time and weird hours so surgery was never an option. I started working grave so she had 24/ 7 care (me and better half), got her a wheelchair she used it for a while then quit trying to walk with it. :(

I made sure there was no Parvo did not know about the hips! Pretty sure the parents were never tested?

·
Super Moderator
7,011 Posts
My first boxer was from a BYB. They raised the litter in their home, the puppies were well looked after but no health clearances were done. Her name was Thea and I was blessed to have her in my life for 14yrs! She got the usual lumps and bumps that we always had removed right away. At 11 she scratched her cornea and needed surgery but other than that she was wonderful. All of her litter mates died by 6 yrs of age of cancer.

I think I was blessed to have her in my life for as long as I did. She will always be my Monkey moo

When I looked to get my second boxer I was shocked with what I was seeing. Lots of dogs in crates, no health testing, pools full of puppies of different ages. It was disgusting! Even these show breeders had so many dogs they had to rotate them all. Not what I was looking for at all.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I am sure the 'breeder' I bought my boys from did not health test but going forward I know what I need to do to get the healthiest pup possible. or do rescue from BRO. Just this weekend we hosted our annual Christmas get together and our close friend had lost their boxer 10 days shy of her 2nd birthday to cancer.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Harvey is bred from a BYB. This was our first time purchasing a puppy(but not owning one! I tend to rescue), and we didn't really know what questions to ask.
I saw Harvey's picture, and I knew that he was supposed to be with us. The only question I asked was if she would hold him an additional 2 weeks until we got back from vacation.
Everyone here has helped us through his health hiccups, but nothing is due to his genes(so far).

Although I do not approve of BYB, I wouldn't not take in a puppy just because the person who brought them into this world isn't very responsible. I would rather see those puppies in a home that can afford to look after them with any health issues, like us with Harv. But that's just how I see it. It's not the dogs' fault they were born to unhealthy parents, and they need help from someone who will care for them, and not throw them away.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Me too. Popeye was from a BYB. Hes in my avatar picture. The flashy fawn. He made it just passed a year. We lost him in May and im getting teary eyed as i type this.

Im sure it was a heart condition.

I would never judge anyone for getting a pup from a BYB. Those puppies deserve love too. Popeye was awesome. He taught us so much about unconditional love. It was a tough lesson to learn. I can honestly say if i could do it all over again i wouldnt opt to not have him.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm just learning here but I have a feeling our Brooksy is from a BYB. The family I got him from had many different boxers on site. They had two different litters at the time we got Brooks. We had the opportunity to meet both parents and the uncle to Brooks. We do not have a lot of money so we couldn't afford an aka boxer but they said he was a ckc boxer. He was less expensive and fit into our budget. I unfortunately paid for it when I brought him home and found out he had PARVOVIRUS. We were very lucky that it was a very light case and he survived after I spent 300 more on him.

He isn't even year yet but I pray we do not have health issues down the road. My kids would be devastated.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm just learning here but I have a feeling our Brooksy is from a BYB. The family I got him from had many different boxers on site. They had two different litters at the time we got Brooks. We had the opportunity to meet both parents and the uncle to Brooks. We do not have a lot of money so we couldn't afford an aka boxer but they said he was a ckc boxer. He was less expensive and fit into our budget. I unfortunately paid for it when I brought him home and found out he had PARVOVIRUS. We were very lucky that it was a very light case and he survived after I spent 300 more on him.

He isn't even year yet but I pray we do not have health issues down the road. My kids would be devastated.

Popeye had parvo too. Within 2 weeks of having him.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Me too. Popeye was from a BYB. Hes in my avatar picture. The flashy fawn. He made it just passed a year. We lost him in May and im getting teary eyed as i type this.

Im sure it was a heart condition.

I would never judge anyone for getting a pup from a BYB. Those puppies deserve love too. Popeye was awesome. He taught us so much about unconditional love. It was a tough lesson to learn. I can honestly say if i could do it all over again i wouldnt opt to not have him.

I guess that's the thing, We had Hidie (Bindle/BX) for the short two weeks she lived. (Parvo) We didn't know but what are you suppose to do once you take them home?

Take this piece of crap dog back cause she's sick? That thought
was never an option..your just trapped!

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
My boxer story/history:

I had fallen in love with the breed when on a trip in Europe with my mom and dad in 6th grade. We were in Hethro airport in London and my dad had bought me a metal toy bi plane. Well I had it in my pocket and a metal detector went off. A couple of Bobby's came and grabbed me, frisked me and found the toy. Was kinda scary.

Well after they apologized and were real nice to me after they realized I wasn't there to blow up the airport I turned around and there was an older gentleman there with two absolutely regal looking boxers with docked ears and sitting on each side of him like statues. I was in absolute awe. I have for my entire life been a dog lover and wasn't intimidated but was a bit shaky still from being searched.

I turned and we made eye contact, he smiled and nodded at me. I asked if I could pet them and he said absolutely. As I approached they stood and showered me with my first boxer slobbers:).

I ABSOLUTELY FELL IN LOVE WITH THE BREED AT THAT POINT. A love that obviously never left me.

So, fast forward to 2001. I was 23 an a probie in the FDNY right after 9/11. My lab mix at the time I took to this groomer and the owner had a friend that had bought a boxer puppy from a shake a paw pet store and brought her home where her bull mastiff was having no part in it and tried to attack her over a territorial dispute. Well, I was walking in as the owner of the groomer was with this little boxer in her arms with her little flashy fawn head and front paws hanging over her forearm. Said she needed to find a good home for her. The defense wall didn't even have a chance and I said I'd take her.

Well later that day I got the call that she was mine. She had to check with her friend that already had one first and that person couldn't take her so that was my first girl Bailey. Way worse than a byb she was definitely from a puppy mill.

She came in my life and my lab took a turn for the worse and she had to be put down. For the next 6 1/2 years she was my rock and got me through a lot of 9/11 related hard times, BUT we always knew after her first visit to my vet she had malformed kidneys.

After 6 1/2 years I had to put her down on April 4th, 2009. It took me 3 years to be able to move on.

This time around I got my girls from a breeder in Ohio. They were thrilled that I wanted to meet them before I got a puppy through them. We hit it off like family and talk regularly. As many remember Bella even with healthy bloodlines had a MCT so it's always possible but why anyone would not care about trying to minimize issues like this and others I will never understand.

Very sorry about the super long post but once I started I lost control of my thumbs. Eight paragraphs later!!!! Lol

·
Registered
597 Posts
I am the type of person who does a ton of research before any big purchase or event. Such as probably reading more about raw diets than I ever read for assignments in college lol. I found this site and it was a blessing. Along with reading many books and other websites, we learned about the health issues in the breed and so were determined to find a quality breeder. After reaching out to local boxer clubs and other sources, we found our breeder about 3 hours away from us in Ohio. They provided all health documents and were very accommodating as we drilled them with questions lol, they actually preferred that we did :). Most of our friends and family say that we overpaid but at the time she was the breeder we were most comfortable with and thought spending money now might save us down the road.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I havent bought a puppy yet all of mine were older rescues except MiSS Z and she was a "return" from a oops litter my girl Rox had with the neighbors boxer mix

·
Registered
393 Posts
Our first girl was purchased from a relative who decided to breed his girl, so yeah, BYB. He only had the one littler but still...no health checks or anything. We didn't know the difference. We are fortunate that she was with us for 11 years. She had a lot of issues with allergies. Our 4 month old pup came from a reputable breeder. I'll be curious to see how we get along in the allergy department this time around as my breeder said this has not been an issue for her dogs.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Our Leroy came from a BYB. That was me being naive and just really wanting a boxer pup. But, if I could go back in time, I'd buy him all over again. He was only with us for a short 4 years, but those years were full of so much love and laughter. I loved that crazy dog so much and because of him, I'll never be without a boxer. They are the absolute best. However, I was smarter this time around and really did my research with Archie's breeder. When\If we ever get another boxer, I would do the same thing or I would love to rescue some day.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts