Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We lost our male about six months ago, and have a female who's nine. We have a great set-up with fenced-in yards at two homes, and our lives have centered around two Boxers. I actually went into a Petland to look at puppies, and wanted to take a french bulldog home that had the colorings of fawn boxer. I wouldn't buy from Petland because I think they are a puppy mill, but it got me looking for rescues. There are not many available at the local Boxer Rescue, and they are being adopted out very quickly.

I know sometimes a breeder will rehome a bitch, or stud when they are done breeding. This way they get a chance to experience a more pampered home life.

Are there other resources for rescues out there?

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Well Rescues, as it were from Real Breeder's, is a "rare," thing. I have only seen it twice ... "online." And one was an Wl GSD and the other was an American Bull Dog.

It just does not seem to happen a lot?? But on here ... Karen, aka KACO Boxer's ... would most likely have some valuable input?? Other than that ... And Boxer's Rescue in general ... we don't know where you are?? Now I am gonna guess that since you have a "Von Bachvett Boxer??? You are somewhere in the Mid West??? " So I would ask, have you contacted them???

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Oh yes if you have female definately a male I basically just included the link for the organization names in case they are in the general area. Sometimes there re rescues nearby one never hears of, at least I note that for me.

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Well, if you don't "have to have," an older dog from a "Breeder??" Then you might have option's available to you??

First of which would be Boxer Rescues, if there are any local to you??? If there are, I guess the unspoken secret?? Is offer to "Foster," as Rescues always have a need for Foster's.

And "Foster's," have the first right's to a dog under there care. So you get to train and take a Dog for a "test spin," if you will. :)

But just so you know ... being a "Successful Foster," can be pretty "heartbreaking," our saddest Christmas was a few year's ago. When I told my neighbor, not to take his "PIA Herder Dog," (uh cuz of him ...) to the pound! I would take her in ... "Now I detest Herder Dog's IE Sheltie's, Border Collies, Queensland's been "Badly Behaved, Poorly Trained, People Biting, Wild Horse Chasing tool's!!! So yeah ... I had not much use for them ... to be kind. :)

And this is not to mention the fact that ... to be named Molly," was the same dog ... I as has neighbor had been calling Animal and the Police on for freaking Year's!!! Over her constant barking and howling for year's!!! And the last time "Molly," busted into our yard to play with my dog's ... sigh I returned her again! And that time he said "Off to the Pound You Go!" And sigh "oh do that ... I'll take her, and since I worked with "Dog Town Rescue," I'll just foster her. :)

So that was the "plan," I'll just get her safe for you know a couple of week's and then she'll be out of here?? So food water, shelter, friend's to play with and no abuse??

And just wait for a call ... and she'll be out of my hair in a couple of week's?? That was the plan ... in which I "also," accidentally, did a "Two Week," cuz you know ... I did not care. I'd already fulfilled my original obligation ... "Keep Her Safe."

Other that ... I did not care ie "Stupid Herder Dog???" But time goes by ... first week's and a month or two or more??? Well back up al little at week three. When I took all three dog's on an outing ... I noticed that two dog's with Recall and one dog with none?? Was not really gone work out to well??? Molly failed to recall on our first outing?? And in desperation I sent my other two out to retrieve her??

Well ... that worked as that time she followed them back! And at that point ... I figured when since she is "still here??" I do "need," to start training her?? Rescues as a general rule ... "Don't Ask Forster's," to train dog's?? But I think they do expect, "Foster's to do something??"

Well fine then since she is still here?? Time to get to work! And you know what ... it turn's that Molly ... "Was Freaking Brilliant! And yeah ... I was wrong!" To say she was a "Quick Study," would be a vast understatement!!" A couple week's more ... and I was impressed!

So yeah ... sigh ... there is nothing wrong with the "Breed's," they just tend to be owned by a lot of lazy A-Hole's, apparently?? So ... now I was impressed! But ... while I was coming to the realization, that well maybe Molly, even with her "Pointy Face??" Was maybe not so bad?? Marilyn who did not carry all the this breed or that crap ... that I do ... my bad??

Fell in luv with Molly week's ago! I however am a "Show Me Kinda Guy!" And well she did. But time goes by ... "and while I am undergoing a change in attitude??" Molly is still online listed as "Available??"

And a day or so after I say to Marilyn ... "that well maybe ... we will keep her??" "The Phone Ring's!! I had forgotten that she was still online and listed as available?? And now, someone wanted to meet her?? Aww crap!! Well OK, sigh ... perhaps they will come and won't like her anyway?? So OK, ... I'll go with that. Yeah that was a fail! A freaking Hall Mark Movie moment it was a single Mom with a child and mom wanted to get her 13 year old a Dog for Christmas!

So for me ... this is not going well?? And Mom's next question was can my "Son," actually, walk this dog?? And at that ... my heart sank, I knew then that "Molly," was gone!

I handed the kid, the SLL and explained a couple of thing's. And Molly and her new owner, walked up and down the block ... like they had been doing it for year's! So they brought her back and said ''l'll, contact "Dog Town."

Now while I did ... what I set out to do? I was not happy! I could have kept her "anyway." But Marilyn asked me ..."if I wanted to break a 13 year's old heart at Christmas ... and of course I said No." That was a very sad Christmas for us ... but I kept my word and did what I said I would do ..."find her a good home." I just had no idea at the time ... that would prove to be so hard?? :(

And then came Rocky!! LOL ... a big furry dog with a funny face (AKA Working Line GSD) and "Wobbler's??? When Dog Town brought him over ... and watching him "wobble over to greet us??" Just broke my heart ... and my first thought was "Man NO ONE," is gonna want this dog?? I cried when I first I saw him, but he was game and did not seem to notice or care that he was different?? :)

And well he was great for the first five month's or so?? And I grew to luv him despite his "pointy face and excess of fur." And then ... the phone rang!!! Dog Town wanted to pick him and meet someone for a hand over??

Now that did strike me as odd .. but they know what they are doing??? And again it was a very sad Saturday, this time. I wrote up a letter for his new owner explaining what I learned, had done and know and sent it off with him, when they picked him to go to his new owner. :(

Well imagine our delight, relife and surprise, when he is back to us at 4:30 that afternoon!??? They said the folk's they were suppose to meet, never showed up?? Well ... that was it we could not go thru this crap again! I called my rescue early the next morning and told them "Take Him Off the Available List he is staying with us! I just could not go thru that pain again!!

LOL ... I still did not know, nothing of Wl GSD's??? Little did I know that I was "now," entering ... The School Of Hard Knock's??? He was 7 month's when we first got him and 10 month's now. He was now closing in the "My Dog Changed???" Range with GSD's ... happens all the time on Germanshepard.com in the 12 to 18 month, "IF," you do not have your crap together??? I did not, so you know ... ER here I come! :)

But hey whatever ... no regret's "now!" But between then and now, I learned a lot! He had "suddenly??" When he hit that range "sexual, maturity" ... so you know forget the "fixing them cures all crap!" :)

He turned into a pack fighting, human aggression, send you to the ER if you get in the way A-Hole!!! I was seriously ticked off! And you know now I felt kinda, "Trapped??" Technically I could just say ... "Well screw this," and send him back to my rescue?? But as he was not like this when I got him?? Was it something I had done?? I did not see how and I had done what I had always done with my other dog's?? But nothing worked??

So had I done this?? He had no issues when I got him?? Did I do this?? I knew this was now in him?? He had as of then ...not actually bit anyone?? But I felt that he could???

And now ... it was "pack fight's," and threatening people (stranger's in his home) in a manner so subtle, that only I was aware of it! But I am gonna say that on the Boxer Forum, not to many member's have felt a "Cold Shiver,"" go up there spine when there dog greets company?? Rocky had now become a "serious," I will mess someone up bad ... if they get in my face dog???

I did not sign up for this crap! But I knew now ... he was capable of doing serious harm to someone! If given the chance ... I was trapped! As he had not bitten anyone yet! But I knew that if given the chance ... he could???

But another Foster Home for him now ...maybe not so much?? I was kinda "trapped??" My dog my problem, I could not say nothing and pass him on??? Ah well, long story but in the long run, we worked it out! And Rocky ultimately ... re-payed, me in spectacularly fashion for all the time and effort I put into him. IE he saved my butt ... completely, unexpected and unbid??? And on that day ... he was now "My Dog!" He already knew I had his back and now I knew he had mine! :)

And while my first Luv, is still Boxer's, if I did not do the "Foster Bit??" I would never have had a GSD??? And PIA that my lack of understanding of the Breed, my have been at first??? When "WE," over came our misunderstanding's of each other ... I understood why people LUV, GSD's! If you get them right ... they are amazing dog's!!

Had I not done the Foster bit?? A decade of my life would have been different?? And yeah, Rocky was a decade of "Responsibility," but on the day he came to my aid "unbid??" He was no longer, a burden and cross to bear?? We were a "Team!" :)

Long way to say ... "Fostering," can be an interesting journey?? You could Foster a Boxer and perhap's find the one for you?? Or Foster a different breed?? I will alway's be a Boxer guy! Still looking for my next one ... and trying to get over it need's to be a Boy thing ... But Foster does give the opportunity to take other "Breed's," for a spin?? And who knows what you could discover??? And it at the bare minimum, you could help some dog out of a "tight spot??" And that is away's "A Good Thing." Just a thought. :)

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, if you don't "have to have," an older dog from a "Breeder??" Then you might have option's available to you??

First of which would be Boxer Rescues, if there are any local to you??? If there are, I guess the unspoken secret?? Is offer to "Foster," as Rescues always have a need for Foster's.

And "Foster's," have the first right's to a dog under there care. So you get to train and take a Dog for a "test spin," if you will. :)

But just so you know ... being a "Successful Foster," can be pretty "heartbreaking," our saddest Christmas was a few year's ago. When I told my neighbor, not to take his "PIA Herder Dog," (uh cuz of him ...) to the pound! I would take her in ... "Now I detest Herder Dog's IE Sheltie's, Border Collies, Queensland's been "Badly Behaved, Poorly Trained, People Biting, Wild Horse Chasing tool's!!! So yeah ... I had not much use for them ... to be kind. :)

And this is not to mention the fact that ... to be named Molly," was the same dog ... I as has neighbor had been calling Animal and the Police on for freaking Year's!!! Over her constant barking and howling for year's!!! And the last time "Molly," busted into our yard to play with my dog's ... sigh I returned her again! And that time he said "Off to the Pound You Go!" And sigh "oh do that ... I'll take her, and since I worked with "Dog Town Rescue," I'll just foster her. :)

So that was the "plan," I'll just get her safe for you know a couple of week's and then she'll be out of here?? So food water, shelter, friend's to play with and no abuse??

And just wait for a call ... and she'll be out of my hair in a couple of week's?? That was the plan ... in which I "also," accidentally, did a "Two Week," cuz you know ... I did not care. I'd already fulfilled my original obligation ... "Keep Her Safe."

Other that ... I did not care ie "Stupid Herder Dog???" But time goes by ... first week's and a month or two or more??? Well back up al little at week three. When I took all three dog's on an outing ... I noticed that two dog's with Recall and one dog with none?? Was not really gone work out to well??? Molly failed to recall on our first outing?? And in desperation I sent my other two out to retrieve her??

Well ... that worked as that time she followed them back! And at that point ... I figured when since she is "still here??" I do "need," to start training her?? Rescues as a general rule ... "Don't Ask Forster's," to train dog's?? But I think they do expect, "Foster's to do something??"

Well fine then since she is still here?? Time to get to work! And you know what ... it turn's that Molly ... "Was Freaking Brilliant! And yeah ... I was wrong!" To say she was a "Quick Study," would be a vast understatement!!" A couple week's more ... and I was impressed!

So yeah ... sigh ... there is nothing wrong with the "Breed's," they just tend to be owned by a lot of lazy A-Hole's, apparently?? So ... now I was impressed! But ... while I was coming to the realization, that well maybe Molly, even with her "Pointy Face??" Was maybe not so bad?? Marilyn who did not carry all the this breed or that crap ... that I do ... my bad??

Fell in luv with Molly week's ago! I however am a "Show Me Kinda Guy!" And well she did. But time goes by ... "and while I am undergoing a change in attitude??" Molly is still online listed as "Available??"

And a day or so after I say to Marilyn ... "that well maybe ... we will keep her??" "The Phone Ring's!! I had forgotten that she was still online and listed as available?? And now, someone wanted to meet her?? Aww crap!! Well OK, sigh ... perhaps they will come and won't like her anyway?? So OK, ... I'll go with that. Yeah that was a fail! A freaking Hall Mark Movie moment it was a single Mom with a child and mom wanted to get her 13 year old a Dog for Christmas!

So for me ... this is not going well?? And Mom's next question was can my "Son," actually, walk this dog?? And at that ... my heart sank, I knew then that "Molly," was gone!

I handed the kid, the SLL and explained a couple of thing's. And Molly and her new owner, walked up and down the block ... like they had been doing it for year's! So they brought her back and said ''l'll, contact "Dog Town."

Now while I did ... what I set out to do? I was not happy! I could have kept her "anyway." But Marilyn asked me ..."if I wanted to break a 13 year's old heart at Christmas ... and of course I said No." That was a very sad Christmas for us ... but I kept my word and did what I said I would do ..."find her a good home." I just had no idea at the time ... that would prove to be so hard?? :(

And then came Rocky!! LOL ... a big furry dog with a funny face (AKA Working Line GSD) and "Wobbler's??? When Dog Town brought him over ... and watching him "wobble over to greet us??" Just broke my heart ... and my first thought was "Man NO ONE," is gonna want this dog?? I cried when I first I saw him, but he was game and did not seem to notice or care that he was different?? :)

And well he was great for the first five month's or so?? And I grew to luv him despite his "pointy face and excess of fur." And then ... the phone rang!!! Dog Town wanted to pick him and meet someone for a hand over??

Now that did strike me as odd .. but they know what they are doing??? And again it was a very sad Saturday, this time. I wrote up a letter for his new owner explaining what I learned, had done and know and sent it off with him, when they picked him to go to his new owner. :(

Well imagine our delight, relife and surprise, when he is back to us at 4:30 that afternoon!??? They said the folk's they were suppose to meet, never showed up?? Well ... that was it we could not go thru this crap again! I called my rescue early the next morning and told them "Take Him Off the Available List he is staying with us! I just could not go thru that pain again!!

LOL ... I still did not know, nothing of Wl GSD's??? Little did I know that I was "now," entering ... The School Of Hard Knock's??? He was 7 month's when we first got him and 10 month's now. He was now closing in the "My Dog Changed???" Range with GSD's ... happens all the time on Germanshepard.com in the 12 to 18 month, "IF," you do not have your crap together??? I did not, so you know ... ER here I come! :)

But hey whatever ... no regret's "now!" But between then and now, I learned a lot! He had "suddenly??" When he hit that range "sexual, maturity" ... so you know forget the "fixing them cures all crap!" :)

He turned into a pack fighting, human aggression, send you to the ER if you get in the way A-Hole!!! I was seriously ticked off! And you know now I felt kinda, "Trapped??" Technically I could just say ... "Well screw this," and send him back to my rescue?? But as he was not like this when I got him?? Was it something I had done?? I did not see how and I had done what I had always done with my other dog's?? But nothing worked??

So had I done this?? He had no issues when I got him?? Did I do this?? I knew this was now in him?? He had as of then ...not actually bit anyone?? But I felt that he could???

And now ... it was "pack fight's," and threatening people (stranger's in his home) in a manner so subtle, that only I was aware of it! But I am gonna say that on the Boxer Forum, not to many member's have felt a "Cold Shiver,"" go up there spine when there dog greets company?? Rocky had now become a "serious," I will mess someone up bad ... if they get in my face dog???

I did not sign up for this crap! But I knew now ... he was capable of doing serious harm to someone! If given the chance ... I was trapped! As he had not bitten anyone yet! But I knew that if given the chance ... he could???

But another Foster Home for him now ...maybe not so much?? I was kinda "trapped??" My dog my problem, I could not say nothing and pass him on??? Ah well, long story but in the long run, we worked it out! And Rocky ultimately ... re-payed, me in spectacularly fashion for all the time and effort I put into him. IE he saved my butt ... completely, unexpected and unbid??? And on that day ... he was now "My Dog!" He already knew I had his back and now I knew he had mine! :)

And while my first Luv, is still Boxer's, if I did not do the "Foster Bit??" I would never have had a GSD??? And PIA that my lack of understanding of the Breed, my have been at first??? When "WE," over came our misunderstanding's of each other ... I understood why people LUV, GSD's! If you get them right ... they are amazing dog's!!

Had I not done the Foster bit?? A decade of my life would have been different?? And yeah, Rocky was a decade of "Responsibility," but on the day he came to my aid "unbid??" He was no longer, a burden and cross to bear?? We were a "Team!" :)

Long way to say ... "Fostering," can be an interesting journey?? You could Foster a Boxer and perhap's find the one for you?? Or Foster a different breed?? I will alway's be a Boxer guy! Still looking for my next one ... and trying to get over it need's to be a Boy thing ... But Foster does give the opportunity to take other "Breed's," for a spin?? And who knows what you could discover??? And it at the bare minimum, you could help some dog out of a "tight spot??" And that is away's "A Good Thing." Just a thought. :)
I'll try the Rescue again. I need a buddy. I lived with a Boxer most of the time since I was one year old.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts