Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!
I have a question about where Lola should sleep.  She's 10 weeks old....will be 11 weeks this Wednesday...and since we've had her she's slept in her kennel in our bedroom across the room where she can still see us if she wakes up.  Everything has been fine, she'll go into her kennel at night when we go to bed and sleep through the night, then wake us up with a little whinning in the morning to let us know that she has to go to the bathroom.  This morning my boyfriend decided that he wants to try to have her sleep downstairs so she doesn't get used to sleeping in the bedroom.  I think she's still too young.  I notice sometimes that she wakes up during the night and looks up as to make sure we're still there, then falls right back asleep.  I say she's not bothering us so why move her!  Any thoughts on this?  Thanks :)
P.S.  I tried posting pictures....the size is too big.  I'll keep trying!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Personally if the kennel isnt in the way i dont see a need to have her sleep elsewhere. When we had chloe she stayed in my daughters room, and now with savannah we do keep her in the living room, but that is because we dont have room for a kennel in the bedrooms. If we did have the room then she would be kenneled in our room during the night.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I don't personally think there's a problem having the crate in the bedroom.  Becks is the same age and we have him in our bedroom, too. That way when we DO hear the whine (which I know all too well, haha!) we can grab him right away and get him outside.  Since he is so young, I would say keeping him in the bedroom is a good thing for potty breaks.

·
Registered
616 Posts
We kept ours close to us in the beginning just to hear them if they needed to go out.  They no longer sleep in their kennels at night but they are still in the room with us.  I don't trust them alone anywhere else just yet.  As young as she is, I would say keep her there a little longer.  Until you know without a doubt that she can hold her bladder all night long.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
If you have the room, I'd let her stay in your bedroom for now. She's still a baby and until she gets fully housebroke, it's good if you can be close by...As she gets older you can move the crate, or if you are comfortable with it, don't use one....Samson isn't crated at nite, but Angel is for 2 reasons, she would chew everything she could find and she still has some problems with accidents.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I'm with everyone else on this. Leave her in the bedroom a while longer. That will definitely help with the housebreaking.  :)

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
My dogs sleep in my bedroom from day one.  I choose to not have them in my bed as two farting, snoring boxers are more than I can handle in a bed that I already share with a farting snoring husband!  It is a great honor to them and a wonderful all night long bonding experience that really takes no effort on your part.  I recommend letting dogs sleep in the bedroom forever.  They then can let you know if they need to go out or aren't feeling well or whatever.  They also can sleep blissful next to their leader!

Nano

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I've won the debate so far, she's still in the bedroom!  And you're right, what a little snorer she is!  I think it's so funny though, and not loud enough yet to keep us up!  Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Charlie slept in his crate beside us until he was about 9 months old.  Then he got to sleep on the bed and I've been paying for it ever since.  He's a bedhog and he pushes to get the best spot.  I would keep him/her in your room, maybe make her a bed on the floor once she's completey housebroken.

·
Registered
23 Posts
[quote="beckhamboxer\";p=\"5188":1hd8c4j3][quote:1hd8c4j3]Our Rottweiler used to get a reaction out of us when he farted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts