Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious just who is on the hit list of dangerous breeds so did some looking and found this:

While national statistics show at least 30 breeds have attacked humans, 10 dog breeds are on the Center for Disease Control and Prevention's most dangerous list, meaning they tend to bite the most frequently. They are:

Pit bulls
Rottweilers
German Shepherds
Huskies
Alaskan Malamutes
Doberman Pinschers
Chow Chows
Great Danes
St. Bernards

This list varies according to which part of Germany you live in so you can cross the street and your legal dog suddenly becomes a banned dangerous dog!

Cat.1)
American Staffordshire Terrier
Pitbull Terrier
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Bull Terrier
Neopolitan Mastiff
Spanish Mastiff
Dogue de Bordeux
Dogo Argentino
Fila Brasileiro
Roman Fighting Dog
Chinese Fighting Dog
Bandog
Tosa Inu

Cat.2)
Akbash
Briard
Beauceron
Bullmastiff
Dobermann
Estrela Mountain Dog
Komondor
Kuvasz
Maremma
Mastiff
Pyrenean Mastiff
Pyrenean Mountain Dog
Rottweiler
Tibetan Mastiff

and 15 other European herding breeds

The following list comes from a law firm's website advertising to represent victims of dog bites:

In 2000, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reported that 25 breeds of dogs were involved in 238 fatal dog bites from 1979-1998. More than 50% of the deaths for which the breed was known were caused by Pit Bull type dogs and Rottweilers.*

Due to the high cost of dog bite liability claims, some insurance companies have blacklisted certain breeds and are refusing to provide homeowners insurance to those who own these dog breeds. According to the Insurance Information Institute, liability claims have increased from $250 million in 1996 to $310 million in 2001.

"Blacklisted" breeds may include:
Pit Bulls

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's exactly my point.  I can't find a government website where boxers are listed as dangerous breeds, only websites for attorneys advertising for dog bite business.  Just wondered if anyone else could find actual legislation banning any breeds. Didn't want to hyjack the other thread, but wanted to see who knows what actual legislation is in place banning any breed.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
no they should not, but because they appear mean in stature most of the time they are looked at as mean viscious dogs.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've been reading the Cesar Millan's book and it said that Allstate Insurance won't insurance anyone with a Boxer. How crazy is that? (Oops - I have Allstate insurance).

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah I just finished reading Cesar's book too. :)   I read that part and don't know how much truth there is to that.  I have heard that certain breeds make for higher insurance but I have never heard that the boxer was one of them.  

On a side note I really liked the book and it gives you different outlook on things.  How do you like it?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I really like it - I'm not through with it yet, kinda skipping around. But it definitely has some great stuff in it.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Every dog can be dangerous... these lists are so ridiculous

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
sbudd\";p=\"27509 said:
I've known LITTLE dogs that were really mean!
I know several people that have been bit and/or severly injured by dogs that are not on that list!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
A dog is only as good as it's owner.  Most of the dogs on these lists are huge.  In all honesty, all of the dogs on these lists make great family pets.  It's the people that have them and the people that come up on them that don't have the knowledge to have a dog.  That is why I insist on my clients learning dog body language and the like!!!

On a side note...why aren't chihuahua's and min pins, and maltese's and other small breeds on there.  They tend to be the psycho's of the dog world.  When they're aggressive they're horrible.  They can do some really bad damage in no time flat.

Just curious...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well if you ask me (and I know nobody asked me) I don't think any dog breed needs to be on this list.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Part of the reason we got Hoosier is because he looks mean (to deter a petty thief thinking about breaking in while we're away) but is really a sweetie. We also got him because of the breeds reputation of being good with kids and our active lifestyle. These lists are merely scare tactics to draw in billable hours.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It's really sad what irresponsible dog owners do for the breeds. There is a rottie in my neighborhood that scares the you-know-what out of me everytime I walk by. His owners keep him in a small crate (supposedly because he jumps the fence) all day long in the (hot) garage. I imagine he's there at night too. I tried to pet him (went to a garage sale) and the look he gave me was scary - I changed my mind! I'm always afraid he'll get out of that crate! After all, my Cairn Terrier can do it!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I had a terrible time locating an apartment for us to move this summer. A lot of them banned Boxers because they were considered an "aggressive" breed. Whoever came up with that must have been crazy.

Of course any dog can be aggressive depending on how it's raised, but the majority of boxers are not aggressive. When I found a complex that said they would take boxers and a dog over 50 lbs I made them check the list twice and then I signed the lease agreement faster than I could blink!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
sbudd\";p=\"27525 said:
It's really sad what irresponsible dog owners do for the breeds. There is a rottie in my neighborhood that scares the you-know-what out of me everytime I walk by. His owners keep him in a small crate (supposedly because he jumps the fence) all day long in the (hot) garage. I imagine he's there at night too.
I think that is cruel, you should report them.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I just realized on the block that my sister lives there is My sister who has a boxer, her neighbor that has a pitt, and a few houses down a guy who has a rotty.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know what you mean, our apartment complex does not allow pits purebred or mixed breed. If they look like a pitbull- they are out, but they allow dogs over 50 lbs.  If your dog is caught off leash it's a $50.00 find the first time, and the 2nd time and it's an eviction on the third time.  We have a beautiful pond, with ducks and geese, trees and grass in the center of the complex and it's very pet friendly, but you'd better have them on leash or your out.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Having them on leash in an apartment or similar housing is being a responsible pet owner. i know we all would love to be able to let our babies walk off lead, but there is too much danger in an apartment complex.  That is a pretty hefty fine, but i could understand that the apartments are doing everything to prevent anything bad happening to a resident or to the property itself.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts