Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What puppy food is best?  I have a 12 week old and she passes alot of gas.  Right now she is on Nutro-Ulta, because that is what my pet store recommended but she will not even touch it unless I mix it with something.  This is my first boxer so I come to all of you for advice.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Here is a link to a very good article on how to grade your dog's food here in the forum.  Hope it helps you.

http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php? ... pic&t=2063

Just remember when you switch foods to do it gradually so you don't have to deal with upset stomaches.  I believe the recommended way to do it is 1/4 new food to 3/4 old food for 1-2 week, 1/2 old to 1/2 new 2 -3 weeks, 3/4 new to 1/4 old 3-4th week.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
the best advice i can give is buy small bags until you find the one she eats! Gas is part of being a boxer mom :D we went through about 6-7 foods before we found one the girls can eat with no issues

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hiya...we feed both our Boxers Canidae.  I choose this because my stepdad did ALOT of research on the best food to feed dogs.  Ours love it.  As a suprise to them, I will add some wet food to their dry.  Oh my gosh, you wanna talk about doggy heaven....they go crazy.  The wet food is this all natural stuff that I could eat if I loved duck, deer....stuff like that.  Uck...which I don't.  Good luck to ya!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
just be careful. each dog is different. where some dogs do well on canidae-it gave my girls the runny poo.  that is why i suggested different small bags til you find the right one. As a wise woman on this forum told me, some of the best foods out there are too rich for boxers. this is why my Reese always had runny poo-soon as i switched she to a less rich food her poo is firm now!

·
Registered
6 Posts
ur doing the right thing by talking to other people with boxers. u might have to try a few different types of food. in my area if i was to buy any dog food if i use like 15% of the food and my dog some how did not like that dog food they would let me bring the food back and try another brand which is a good thing i think. i feed my dogs canidae and also blue bag food.those are good brands food some what pricey blue is more pricey. boxer stomach are very sensitive.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My breeder feeds her boxers a all natural dog food that she has only been able to find the feed store. All I can remember is its a green bag. My fiance has the name of it in his wallet. I am all about natural dog foods. Does anybody know of a all natural puppy food? I need to get some ASAP since Loki will be home in a week. And how many cans would you feed a day. I am thinking 1 maybe 2 and then add puppy food in the middle. I don't know though. Please help.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
have you tried chicken soup for the puppy lovers soul? that is an natural food i belive. the bags are white and then have a color code system to tell if it is puppy, adult, senior ect. I just bought a bag for the girls and they both liked it. I switched reese off but that was a personal choice because i had been trying to find a food to make her poo firmer. Chicken soup didnt do that so i switched, but savannah still gets it. we get it at the local feed store for about $20 for an 18lb bag

·
Registered
278 Posts
We feed Canidae here.  It's an all stages food.  I had read right after Jaxon came home that puppy foods may not benefit larger dogs.  This is because with a high protein and calcium content, the puppy foods can encourage bones to grow at a much faster pace and the ligaments and connective tissues will not keep up.  Also the Canidae kibble is a small piece kibble...this may help with gas and bloat.  Jaxon still has occasional gas, but it's nothing unbearable.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Any human grade kibble is fine, you just have to find the best ingredients that works well with your dog.  One kibble can work wonders for my two, but not so well for others.   Some kibbles are richer than others and some dogs may develop the runs and some may not.  

www.dogfoodanalysis.com   is a great resourse as well as a list of the whole dog journals list of recommend kibbles  -  http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=659

Some of the more popular, reasonally priced kibbles are - Canidae, Chix Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, Merricks.   I am also a fan of roating kibble every 3-6 months.    It give you an opportunity to find out what your dog enjoys as well as give them a more rounded balance of nutrition with different ingredients from time to time.

Good Luck on finding the right food:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts