Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nutro Natures Choice

• Canidae

Which food??

3K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  Florida4x4chick 
#1 ·
Well my local farm store carries some good choices of food, which i'm glad because I won't have to go out of town or order it online!!! Now I have to decide which one to get... Help me out and participate in my poll...  :D
Diamond
Chicken Soup
Royal Canin
Nutro Natures choice
Canidae

#2 ·
i dont know anything about diamond but i have heard good things about all the other ones. I would see if they have samples. i did that when i was finding a food and found that Maverick liked canidae. If you cant find samples maybe purchase the smallest size bag at first incase the food doesnt agree with the puppy. As far as choosing a food i think they are all good ones so any choice you make would be good.

#4 ·
I am a Diamond fan and have been that way for the past 10 years. When I put out pedigree, purina, s diet ,and nutro, my dogs sniffed it and walked away for about an hour. Then when they got real hungry they would eat a little bit at a time. When I put Diamond out, they instantly put their heads in the bowl and would not come up for air until the food was all gone. I think that all of the foods you have listed are great food, but why pay $35.99 when you can get the same quality food in diamond for $18.99 a bag. I say try it, and if you don't like the results then start buying the high dollar stuff!! Good luck.

#5 ·
My breeder feeds Diamond, but I found it gave Angel awful gas, I mean clear the room, need a gas mask type gas...I am feeding Chicken Soup and they both are doing great on it..Canidae is also very good, a lot of people on here use that....But I agree, I'd get samples, if possible or buy the smallest bag and see how it works....

#6 ·
I e-mailed EVERY dog food company on the 2007 Whole Dog Journal list of foods (There are 51 of them in case you were wondering) and so far 15 have e-mailed me back saying they are going to send samples!!! Only 4 have said they won't send samples :? Sooooo i'm going to have quite a few samples coming my way in the near future!! LOL

#8 ·
I feed my 14 week old puppy Iams. People say it isn't that great of a food, yet he is healthy and growing like a champ. Would i benefit from changing his food to something like Canidae dog food? And if i switched do i mix it into the Iams little by little so it's easier for the dog? Also the Iams he eats now his poop is solid and he eats well and keeps the food down. So is it worth switching to a better quality food?

#10 ·
this is always a tricky subject. ideally i think the answer is yes you should be feeding your dog the food that is best for him. that doesnt necessarily mean that the most expensive of holistic food is best. It is what works best for your dog. Ultimately the foods like solid gold, canidae, timberwolf etc have better ingredients and should be more digestible and have less allergens in them. Correct me if i am wrong but did copper have some illness or mange? May be another pup im thinking of because there have been so many new ones recently. The higher grade food could build his immune system up more. At the end of the day tho if he cant keep that food down or have good stools then you have to do what works best for you and your dog. I would recommend buying a small bag of a higher grade food to see how he likes it. First id go to a feed or pet store and ask for a bunch of samples to see what suits his taste then id buy a 5-10lbs bag of the food he seems to like and see if he does well on it. If he does then there you go if not stick with what is working or change it up.

You can always add things to your dogs food like eggs, sardines, boiled chicken....last night i made a roast and Maverick has a nice little piece (not much tho) but i think these things keep your dog interested in the food. It is a long process i found to find the right food and it can be daunting but hang in there. If you do switch you have to do it slowly to make it easy for his tummy and there are posts on how to transition your dog to a new food.

Good luck whatever you decide and have a happy new year. Remember in the end it is a personal choice

#17 ·
When I got Tyson he was on Diamond.  Never heard of it.  I switched him to Royal Canin, and he had loose stool and smelly gas.  I decided to give Canidae a try and have been on it for a month now.  His stools seem a bit harder, but he still has gas alot.  Not sure if he is just a gassy dog, or i just have not found the right food.  Still searching....but for now, its the Canidae.

#22 ·
We're going to start out transition in the near future. We have some Iams to get rid of first so we've been putting some of the canidae in with it. We also have quite a few samples to mix in just to keep things interesting. Bench and Field sent us a 6.6 pound "sample" of their Holistic natural Canine forumla!!! LOL

#23 ·
I just switched Izzy to Canidae. The breeder had her on Purina Beneful and she wasn't eating well at all.
I added a little more of the Canidae to the Beneful each day until I got her switched over.
The thing was....she was picking out the Canidae and eating it and leaving the Beneful.
Her stools are a little soft right now...but I suspect it has to do with the fact that once I started mixing the Canidae into the Beneful...she was pretty much leaving the Beneful. Therefore, the switch took place a lot faster than intended and her system hasn't completely gotten used to the Canidae.

#24 ·
I'm not sure what everyones price range is but when we got our girl the people were feeding her Pedigree :(  we switched her over to Nutro Natural Lamb & Rice.  She loves it, her digestive seems to be much better than before, and it makes her coat really really shinny.  It isn't super expensive either.  It isn't TOP quality but it is definately not bottom quality.  Here is their website, i hear the Ultra is their best but because of price we stick to natural.

http://www.nutroproducts.com/dog.shtml

hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.