Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arden Grange Chicken and Rice:

Ingredients: Chicken Meal* (min 27%), Whole Grain Rice (min 26%), Whole Grain Maize, Chicken Fat*, Beet Pulp, Fresh Chicken (min 5%), Dried Brewers Yeast, Egg Powder, Fish Meal*, Linseed, Fish Oil*, Minerals, Vitamins, Nucleotides, Prebiotic FOS, Prebiotic MOS, Cranberry Extract, Chondroitin Sulphate, Glucosamine Sulphate, MSM, Yucca Extract. * Preserved with mixed tocopherols and rosemary extract.
Analysis: Protein 25%, Oil 15%, Fibre 2.5%, Ash 7%, Moisture 8%, Omega6 2.53%, Omega3 0.37%, Vitamin A 15000 IU/kg, Vitamin D3 1000 IU/kg, Vitamin E 100 IU/kg, Calcium 1.1%, Phosphorous P 0.75%, Copper 20 mg/kg (as Cupric Sulphate).

Or Oscars Chicken and Rice:

Ingredients: Rice 58%, Chicken 25%, Poultry Fat, Sugar Beet Pulp, Egg, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Chicory, Oligosaccharides, EC permitted antioxidants BHT, BHA & Vit E
Analysis: Carbohydrate 46%, Oils and Fats 13%, Protein 23%, Fibre 2%, Ash 8%, Moisture 8%, Vitamin A 24000 iu/kg, Vitamin D 2000 iu/kg, Vitamin E 150 mg/kg, Biotin 150 mcg/kg, Copper as Cupric Sulphate 24mg/kg

Now they both seem pretty good but Arden Grange is

·
Registered
10 Posts
Im new here and never heard of these food but may they just dont carry them in NJ.  I feed my 2 Oreijen.  They have a fish formula and a chicken and fish formula whcih my 2 love.  Which is good being my male is very picky.  Wanna try and switch between the 2 types if I can get them 2 them.   DOes anyone else fee Oreijen??

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
In honestly I would choose the top one due to the heavy carb content in the second.  However you have to choose what is best for your dog.   I like the first based on the level of ingredients and the carb content.  IMO I think whole grain rice maybe easier to digest then reg. rice, and dont really like a kibble that used salt.

So not too familar with those foods but if the price is a turning point, may give the other one a shot. I always like to rotate kibbles anyways, so maybe a good brand to add into your rotation.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
The first one has maize, which is basically corn, a very common allergen to boxers.

The second has way too much rice, some form of meat protein should be the first ingredient in any quality dog food.

I personally wouldn't feed either.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Honestly, out of the three foods, I'd choose the Arden Grange. Like Heather said, the second one looks too carb heavy, and I also like to see a high quality protein source as the main ingredient in the food.
Maize, yes it is another name for corn, and yes it is a very high allergen with boxers, but not every boxer will be allergic to corn so it isn't that terrible of an ingredient. It is a good supply of whole grain nutrition.
But... I have been through my share of foods and you need to find one that your dog enjoys eating and does well on, firm poops, clear eyes, healthy skin and coat, etc... You may have to go through several brands until you find a food that works well, or you may be lucky and Freddie may have an iron stomach and be able to eat anything! Good luck with your food search.  :)

**I believe Honeyec feeds the Arden Grange (if I remember correctly!) She may be able to chime in here!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts