Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blue has never had an issue with whining in his cage.  Recently my husband and I got back from our honeymoon, while we were gone Blue spent the week with my parents.  Who followed all the same rules and training methods that we use.  Last night, when we put Blue in his cage he spent almost the entire night whining.  At one point Dave took him out of the cage and he threw up all over.  After that he seemed fine, Dave stayed up for a while with him just to help calm him down.  Around 1am, Dave tried to put him back in the cage, and the whining started again, so he went to sleep on the couch with Blue on the floor next to him.  About 4am Dave tried one more time to put Blue in his cage for the night, and the whining started all over again.  Dave finally gave up and slept on the couch, but made sure to put Blue's cage where he could see Dave... And the whining stopped!

Blue has never done this before, usually he loves his cage!  There are times during the day we'll find him in there just hanging out.  I was just wondering if anyone else has had this experience with their Boxer after going away for a while.  Dave and I are wondering if it has something to do with me now living there.  Before the wedding we never lived together, I would stay over on weekends and that's about it.  Could the change of me moving in be causing Blue to have seperation anxiety???

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
How old is Blue?  Oggie has never liked his crate, but he was progressing and I was working on it.  Well I had to go away for a weekend and left him with my friends and apparently they never used the crate, and let him have free reign of the house.  He slept in their bedroom.   Now he hates the crate more than ever.  He at least used to go in there (with the door open) and take naps.  But now he won't go in willingly, and closing the door is like the worst thing in the world to him.  Sounds like Blue was more advanced with the crate training, but this recent set-back has me frustrated.  Oggie sleeps on my bedroom floor at night and sleeps the entire night perfectly behaved, so I don't mind at night.  But when I go out he goes crazy in the crate, it's a real problem that I'm afraid was derailed by one weekend.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blue is 7 months, and I know my parents used his cage.  They refused to let him stay if we weren't giving them his cage.  The problem is both my husband and I work and he has to be in the cage while we are away.  We don't trust him in the house since he is teething.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi there :)

We've also experienced the same problem but not to the same extent.  My OH and I have just returned from a 2 week holiday and while we were away my sister was living at our house looking after our 2 pups.  When we returned she said that she'd had a lot of problems with Roxy (our 7 month old Boxer) crying at night which we found strange as we never had this problem before we went away.  

However since we've been back (we got back on Sunday) we've noticed that she has been whining a lot at night when in her cage.  It hasn't got so bad that we've gone down to see her and it has stopped after a few hours but it's definately different to how it was before we went away.  My OH thinks that she's just worried that we will leave her again and we're hoping that things will get back to normal soon!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what we are thinking to, but he did it again last night.  It wasn't as bad as the night before!  Dave actually got to sleep in bed last night, but every time Blue whined Dave would say his name so Blue knew we were there.  After about 10 mins he stopped and fell asleep.  Then woke us up at 5am.  I'm assuming this is because he couldn't see either of us.  We went out and slept on the couch for the last hour and he was fine.  I hope this gets better soon...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts