Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

White Boxer breeding

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  ReekosMom 
#1 ·
I have a beautiful White boxer named Mia that I would like to breed.  She would be bred to carry on her bloodline not for profit.  I have numerous individuals interested in one of Mia's puppies because she is such a wonderful dog.  
I have researched breeding white boxers and have found conflicting information.  We really want to carry on her bloddline but not at the expense of her or her puppies health.  Should white Boxers be bred at all? How safe is it to breed a white Boxer?
Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
Personally I WOULDNT do it!!!!! Only to the fact that the white pups could possibly be born deaf!! Also Im not possitive about it but If the parents are white also the colored pups could be effected with the deafness also. Also the AKC doesnt condone breeding whites! They arent even in the standard as far as the color. If you breed you should only be breeding to better the breed! You say you want to carry on her bloodline? Whats it like?

This is a very TOUCHY subject so people she is asking for info in this and not to be put down because she thought about it!!

Im hoping this discussion doesnt get heated :x

#3 ·
The little that i know. Basically its said to be wrong to breed white boxers. Because of the health risks such as being deaf. When i got Maddy i had to sign a contract saying i wouldnt breed her. Whats commonly found in BY Breeders is that some find a white boxer that isnt really wanted, and breeds her over and over again. Maybe thats just so white boxers arn't used.   A quote said about white boxers is --  "These dogs are not bred to the breed standard, and are usually mediocre at best"

Not much, but i am sad that i had to sign the contract, maddy would have been an excellent mom. I would never have bred her more than once. Im sure she would have enjoyed it though.

#4 ·
Her bloodline isn't anything special, we just wanted to carry on her traits and personality.  She has been a wonderful pet and we couldn't possibly ask for a better dog.  We are NOT willing to risk her health or the health of her puppies  which is why we are researching the risks of breeding her. In essence we would like to maintain a piece of her through her offspring.

#6 ·
If bred to a colored male there wouldn't be AS MUCH of a chance, but you just never know. And breeding to pass on her temperament may not happen depending on the stud you choose... Some (possibly even all) puppies may end up polar opposites of her... I am against Back Yard Breeding.. but I don't have a problem with hobby breeders. As long as puppies, parents, and everyone is well taken care of...

#7 ·
I have a white boxer and I agree with most everyone else.  I wouldn't breed her...

1)  I signed a contract that I wouldn't.

2)  If I were ever to breed a Boxer, it would be to better the breed by breed standard.

3)  There is too much likelyhood of passing of genetics health traits, such as deafness and blindness (3 other deaf puppies in her litter and two were white).

I would love to pass on her traits and personality, but she is her own dog and she will be the only one like her.  Also, like someone said, her pups could be polar opposites of her taking many of the studs traits.

Liz and Lilly

#8 ·
As much as it would be nice to pass on her "good" qualities I seriously would reconsider it..First of all the AKC will not recognize the pups if I remember correctly..Second and this is the biggie, health issues. A responsible breeder will have had all health testing done on both the bitch & sire before even considering it, then as you are already dealing with a white boxer, it ups the possibility of her whelping pups that could be born deaf, blind or both! Third, as was already stated, you really do not know that her pups wouls take after her or not..That's an awful big gamble to take and I don't think it's worth it.

#9 ·
Not a good idea.It may sound mean (I myself love whites) but not many people want whites and most who do want them for all the wrong reasons.My breeder has 3 whites right now and she is being VERY picky about who they are going to.They are going to be limited reg. & on a spay/neuter contract.Not to mention shes making them read up on them and warning them of all the problems that can come along with whites.

#10 ·
First and foremost, every time you breed a bitch, regardless of color, there's a very real chance that she will die, and that some or all of the puppies will, as well.  Before any other considerations, you need to be sure that you are prepared to take that risk.  As well, you need to be sure you are financially prepared for any eventually - meaning you should have at least $3,000 set aside for an emergency c-section, medical care, what have you, as well as time off work banked because if you do lose the bitch but have puppies, they will need round-the-clock care for the first several weeks.

Onto issues specific to breeding white Boxers - yes, they have a higher chance of deafness themselves, and the foremost expert in canine deafness has stated that any puppies they produce - white or colored - will also have a higher chance of deafness.  Blindness is not linked to the extreme piebald gene, which is responsible for white in Boxers, though it is linked to the merle gene which causes white in other breeds like Collies and some Great Danes.  The AKC will register white Boxers and their progeny (if other AKC rules apply); the American Boxer Club Code of Ethics prohibits the breeding, full registration, or sale (for more than a specific limited amount) of white Boxers.  

The fact that your bitch is not on a limited registration and spay/neuter contract calls into question the responsibility of her breeder; if they ignored the Code of Ethics as far as white Boxers go, did they also ignore the important health testing necessary, or the evaluation of structure and temperament?  Will you, if you breed your bitch, be producing puppies with the best chance of a long, healthy life, or will you be perpetuating or perhaps bringing out some serious issues which are lurking in the pedigree?  If you don't know the genetic health of the Boxers behind your bitch, you're breeding blind - and in this breed, where some of the most common health issues often mean the dog drops dead at 2-3 years of age without any prior signs that something is wrong, breeding blind is the last thing you want to do.

Also, you should know that "we want one just like her" is one of the top reasons irresponsible breeders give to breed.  Remember, she is only contributing 50% to the puppies; the sire will have a say, as well, and as has been mentioned, you may end up with something completely different from your girl.  Also, I'd wager that the traits you love about her are very typical of the Boxer breed in general - you could find those traits in another well-bred puppy without risking your bitch.

#11 ·
I have to agree 100% with everything Newcastle just said.  If that doesn't persuade you not to breed your white boxer, nothing will.

I'd like to highlight the fact that "Mia may be a great dog because she's a BOXER", not necessarily because of her "bloodline".

Just get another Boxer, and don't put Mia in any pain or health risks (much less her puppies).

#12 ·
I don't have anything else to add that was not said already. So..."ditto" what everyone else has said. There really should not be any conflicting information on breeding whites. It just shouldn't be done for the reasons stated above.

Here is a link to the ABC code of ethics: http://americanboxerclub.org/ethics.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.