Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're having some issues with Sadie.  It seems I can't get the acne to leave.  It scabs over and she bleeds on our clothes, couch, etc.  She started chewing her feet.  We're transitioning to a new food, and have been for about 3 weeks.  She's still having problms with her feet and acne.  Plus, it seems like anymore, she's having issues with yeast in her ears.  Have you guys/gals had to have them put on antibiotics (is that even possible) or the acne.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hey Jeep IMO i think the acne is probably a lot to do with food. My other Boxer Sophie had acne real bad when she was a teen ager but we also fed her crap food not knowing any better. These 2 guys haven't had any acne so to speak of .
As with the yeast we put a table spoon of plain yogurt in with there lunch. Donner had one bout with yeast in his ears and thats what the vet suggested. No more probs. No idea about the foot thing :D

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Hmm, I know people sometimes take antibiotics for acne but I don't know if you would want to do that long term or if dog "acne" is really the same thing.
What were/are you feeding.  I know a lot of times allergens in the food are causes of itching and infections.
Do you use stainless steel food/water bowls you can disinfect regularly? I've read plastic bowls are not good for preventing acne.
Has she seen the vet about it yet? maybe a topical cream for acne would also work?
Ask the vet if it would be safe to use a liquid band aid on her face.
Good luck!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
take some pepermint oil and dab it on the acne spots.  Peppermint oil and a natural anti-viral and should hopefully clear it up.

Always feed out of stainless steel - Plastic and other type of bowl become feeding ground for baceteria.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
the ceramic bowls are also no good for feeding??? was considering those because theyre nice and heavy.

as for the acne ive heard of dog owners using the sensitive skin oxy pads but i would try the more natural remedy first.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She is fed with a stainless dish.  Up until about 3 weeks ago, we were feeding them Solid Gold Mmelinia.  I decided to give Purina Pro Plan for Sensitive Stomachs a try because Charlie has issues with alot of foods, and it's cheaper.  She had acne with both brands and it isn't clearing up.  They are actually bleeding part of the time, and I'm tired of getting blood on my dress clothes and furniture.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
[quote="JeepKuntry\";p=\"88207":20qzwtei]She is fed with a stainless dish.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I had to put my fawn male on antibiotics due to some major acne under his chin and it did clear it up.It was bad like you described and I could even squeeze pus out of some of them. I also used the oxypads some.  I have had the best luck using the ChlorHexiderm shampoo on him.  I bath under his chin and feet and other areas that might be needing it.  That has really helped keep it from needing antibiotics again.    He has bad allergies from everything except food.  Poor guy.

Nano

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
hmmm now that you say that Jeep....

Isis's chin & feet always come same time...chewing and licking the feet and noticing the bumps on chin and lip...AND the ears start to smell..reguardless of the fact that i wash them out every 2 weeks with epi care..from the vet..which is natural but i think i may switch to using something different..open to suggestions on the ears..

hmmm wonder if its all yeast related? b/c its NOT her food...it comes and goes every so often and its come on this past week..and noticed her ears stink last night...and she's been at her paws all day...all same time..gotta be related...

and our food bowls are stainless steel and water bowls are ceramic..all washed in dishwasher every few days

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sadie's dish is washed at least once a day.  She's had the acne, and it will bleed and some contain a pus.  We're going to the vet Saturday morning, she's got a blood blister or mole coming above her eye, I want that looked at.  Want the chin checked out, ears, paws, etc and I'll get an update on her weight.  I'm hoping there is something we can do for her chin, it's now red and hair isn't growing back there and I'm tired of scabs, blood on my 50 dollar work pants, etc.  She's my girl, and I want my pretty lil princess back.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
i have pics Jeeep hang on...

does it look like this? only more red..sometimes less..

bumps on lip

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Isis, her face looks alot like that, but with a ton more acne, and it's pretty dang red.  It's been that way for a few weeks so I don't think washing her bowl, her face, and putting stridex pads is going to work.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
ya Isis's face and bumps get alot worse than those pics..just an example..and her bowls are clean, food hasnt changed, etc..

she rubs her face on the clothes, the couch, anything she can find...even the wall !! and it goes away out of nowhere and comes the sameway..

benedryl really does help though..

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
JeepKuntry, hope you get Sadies pimples under control, poor girl nobody likes having acne  :( One thing Boxerpop forgot to mention about our Sophie was that hers diminished after we got rid of all our carpeting. She used to chew, chew, chew her toys rubbing her chin against the carpet. Don't know if that was the cause or just the additional irritation made it worse, but once the carpets were gone most of it went away. Good Luck with your girl!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I'm trying to figure out what's happened to the pad on one of her back paws.  I took them out to potty this morning, and when I came in, she was bleeding.  I'm thinking she's chewed the pad until it started bleeding because she just went in the grass and I don't know of anything that would have cut her foot.  I'm hoping the vet can help us out, now I'm fearing it may be a food allergy.  Cause of the face, feet chewing, etc.  Seems like she keeps having ear problems (yeast) also, especially after baths.  We don't really even wash there face, we usually use baby wipes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts