Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I don't believe processed food is the big cancer causer in dogs. I believe its just like people something in our environment or maybe lifestyle or activity levels the same thing they say causes cancer in humans. I think ultimately its a crap shoot you just keep your fingers crossed and hope it never happens. I have known people who were complete heath nuts and died from cancer so who knows. We do have the opportunity to take care of ourselves and our dogs day to day and enjoy the time we have together because there are no guarantees in life for any of us. Just think about it the dog foods people used in the past were total crap and you never used to hear of so many dogs having so many problems?
Yeah the Cancer thing and Boxers. Breeders are trying to work on it?? But the best they can do that I have seen is "if" a pup from there lines does develop Cancer?? They take that line out of rotation. That seems to be the best they can do??

My tri colored band dawg, did get a sunburned nose one year?? But Struddell never got sunburned, in six years of high desert, high temp, summer time Bunny chasing. And if there is one thing we have up here in NV, it's lot's of sunshine!

But the whole of laying the blame of the "Cancer, thing" on the White's?? A dog that "Responsible Breeders," don't breed (The Rules) and is only 25% of Boxer's bred is well, frankly BS! Struddell and I stood united against ... "Dogism??" In all its forms! :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
My white male boxer Pooh Bear lived 14.5 years and wasn't deaf (until he didn't want to hear me!) He didn't have any unusual health problems. In fact, in my opinion, perfection wears a white coat :) Don't you agree?!

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hi all,
1st post here. We may be getting a Boxer puppy and want to start looking for a breeder. We have two Dobermans presently and would get pup after one of them pass. That hopefully will be a few years. We have a 3 yr old grandson and thought a pup would be great for him when he is over. He does get along good with our present dogs. Loki, 6 yr old female, has officially adopted him. Codi 8yo has been much slower to warm up to him. Both are rescues.

Anyhow, found some breeders in Montana. On their websites they show white Boxers. We want a breeder concerned about passing on non-desirable traights. White Boxers are not standard and have health problems because of what comes with that coloring?? Right?? If a pup comes out white, should the parents not be breed anymore?? I would not want to support a breeder like that. Or am I all wrong about that?

Loki is having health issues, kidney disease has been ruled out. Still diagnosing symptoms but problem has been narrowed down to a couple things. That just got us thinking about our future with dogs.

We have had three Boxers in the past. Two rescues, one puppy.
Tanner was bought as a puppy. Sweet and lovable, very trainable, loved play time. Passed from massive seizure at nine yo.
My avatar shows Tyson, he was a joker and instigator of all rough housing. We rescued him at 5yo. Tanner immediately forgot everything about agility overnight. He passed at 11yo after massive stroke.
Then we added Riggley to the pack. She was a rescue, female, stubborn, hard to train, very loving, loved mountain biking and hiking. At 12 yo, over the course of a week, the arthritis in her lower back caused her uncontrollable pain and it was her time.

When the time comes, we will travel to inspect kennels and parents. Primarily looking for knowledgeable, ethical breeders and don't want to deal with the others.

Sorry so long. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thank you, MikeB
MikeBee try BeesMike boxers

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Well I have to say "regardless," of color 14.5 years, is outstanding for a "Boxer!" Sadly many of them don't come close to reaching that mile stone. :(

Sorry for your loss, nonetheless but you did good!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts