Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Boxer fans!,
I have a 5 month old Boxer (no kidding) :)  He is white and yup you guessed it deaf as a door post... i have managed to find a few good sites suggesting training tips (reward based) but i can't get the little tinker to lie down on sign command. he will come and sit but not lie down. can anyone help?

Desperate in England
xxx

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
For the sit command I use a thumbs up sign. For the down command I use a flat hand, and just lower my hand until they go down. It will take practice, but he will get it. I never owned a deaf boxer, but I believe they both (deaf and hearing) respond better to hand signals than to voice commands.
Welcome to the forums. What is your little guys name?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum...There are a couple others on here that also have deaf boxers and we started a couple threads on training and such. I'll have to find them and give you some of the info that was shared......

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys (n gals),
    I try to use the palm down method and having a treat between the middle and ring finger but the little tinker just bends his neck (far to smart lol).
i will try to persevere. this is my first dog and i chose a boxer as i read up on their nature and we have kids so it seemed the perfect choice, luckily for us was was :)
Those threads would be handy though if you could hunt them out that would be F.A.B as the thunderbirds used to say..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts