Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I wanna go to Ireland!  My family came from Ireland about 150 years ago.  I'm just too big of a wuss to get on a plane for that long! :oops:

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay ladies....I have always wanted to go to Ireland.  My husband and I are thinking we may go this coming year for our 10 yr anniversary.  The travel agent I use has sent me this info saying it is just the best thing...

Accommodations
7-night accommodations:
1 night Old Ground Hotel, Co. Clare
2 nights Killarney Towers, Co. Kerry
1 night Faithlegg Manor House, Co. Waterford
2 nights Jury

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Sharon, that is a lot of moving around, but if you want to see countryside, that is the only way..Altho Ireland isn't that big, (you can go from one to the other in one day), a lot of the roads are narrow and one lane only and go thru a lot of towns...Dublin is definitely a must, I thoroughly enjoyed my visits there. Kerry is also lovely, especially a drive thru the Ring Of Kerry. Waterford is one of the few places I haven't been, so can't help you there, other than to say it's gorgous...If you can, I would try and stretch it to 10 days...I'm assuming you are going to be driving? Or is this a tour type thing? My parents did a 10 day elder hostel trip the year after they stayed with us and had an absolute ball...Weather is usually pretty good in spring, Eimear can clue you in better..I lived in Northern Ireland and weather isn't as good until Aug or Sept....I can pull out some of the stuff(if I still have it)of some of the places we went. we stayed in Kerry for 4 days once, used that as a base and drove around from there to see stuff...Let me know what other things I can help with....I'm jealous, I so want to go back....

·
Registered
905 Posts
Hi Sharon, glad to hear you're planning a holiday here!  I assume since your first night here is in Clare that you're flying into Shannon.  Kerry is absolutely beautiful, but to be honest with you I would recommend Tralee and Dingle over Killarney.  Killarney is VERY touristy and full of tacky gift shops, etc.  Dingle (or An Daingean, as it was recently renamed) is on the Ring of Kerry and one of the most beautiful spots in Ireland.  If you decide to extend your trip I would also highly recommend Lahinch in Clare and Cobh and Kinsale in Cork.  

I've stayed in Faithlegg and it's fabulous.  A possible alternative could also be the Ferrycarrig in Wexford, which is just up the road from Waterford.  The Ferrycarrig is located next to the National Heritage Park which has a huge Viking ring fort, round tower, etc.

Dublin is a fantastic spot, although I'm sorry to have to inform you that Jury's Ballsbridge closed last month!  Ask your travel agent to check prices in either the Mont Clare, Davenport or Alexander hotels.  These are all very centrally located, literally 5 minutes walk from St. Stephen's Green and Grafton Street.  Dublin is best toured on a very ad-hoc basis, literally just wandering around at your leisure, but you absolutely MUST do the Viking Splash Tour, which is a tour in an amphibious vehicle where they make you wear a Viking helmet and shout at passersby!  I also highly recommend the Dublin Literary Pub Crawl, which is basically an educational excuse to get drunk!

I could literally go on for hours and hours about all the places to go in Ireland, but really your best bet is to spend as much time as you can here.  I don't know what kind of prices your travel agent is quoting you, but it may be worthwhile to get onto aerlingus.com and hotels.com and see if you can save a few bob by booking everything yourself.

Spring weather is notoriously unreliable here!  May is a safer bet than April, but September is usually our nicest month.  Plus, all the schools are back then so prices in hotels tend to go back down.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Lol Eimear, and here I was thinking that the south had better weather than we did in the north! I always kept my fingers crossed when I was expecting visitors, never knew what was going to happen....Loved the Dingle Pennisula by the way, except for the fact that we went in January! Rather wet then  :(

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks alot for all the info I printed it out and will use it when we settle in on something with our travel agent.  I have not decided on the driving thing or going with a tour.  I would love to drive and go at my own pace and where I want to go....but from what I have heard the gas prices are really high there 5-6$ a gallon  8O ....so to save on that expense maybe the tour.....I dont know....this would probably be anout May/June of next year...I have to plan it during summer break for my daughter....

Thanks again guys for all the info!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts