Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my male boxer sired his first litter.

All pups were born happy and healthy. Unfortunately there were only 3 pups in the litter.

I take all precautions to ensure I am doing this for the betterment of the breed.

I've heard multiple opinions on why this would happen, however I would really like some input from the masses on this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To be clear, everyones health tests came back good prior to mating. I don't believe in breeding a dog without a sound health and solid temperament.

The issue here is the owner of the bitch seems to be very inexperienced. I am no expert, but I do my research and ensure I am doing the best for the welfare of the dog and the betterment of the breed.

The bitch's owner is claiming that my stud is at fault for 3 puppies. In contract it is stated that the contract is valid as long as puppies are born healthy. The bitch's first litter with another male contained 6 pups. She is now roughly 3.5-4 and my stud just turned 6.

I've got an appointment this week with the vet for a sperm analysis in case his swimmers are now moving slowly. Everything was in proper working order when he was checked last year.

I personally am just happy that the pups are healthy and that there were no problems during birth, but unfortunately for me, it seems the bitch owner is more concerned about quantity over quality.

I guess my main question here is: have you found that it is the male or female at fault when a litter is not "large".

·
Super Moderator
6,972 Posts
I want to be very clear about the rules of this forum. Please private message myself or any other moderator any and all health testing and results of your boy. This forum does not allow the discussion of anything breeding related until we can confirm that proper health testing has taken place.

I ask that no members continue this conversation until either myself or one of the other mods has gotten this information.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.