Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Willow and I to post a training topic on teaching appropriate leash behaviors/manners and types of collars and how to use them (minus the G.L. and pinch/choke chain)?

Let us know...

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
If you are going to post a topic on leash and collar training, I would suggest giving pros and cons about all kinds, not excluding the G.L. and pinch/choke chain, just because you don't like using them. I don't particularily like the GL either, but a lot of people swear by them.

Lisa

·
Registered
162 Posts
The more the better - my personal opinion on the GL is that it is a great TRAINING tool.  We used it on Chloe for about 10 weeks and now we can walk her on a regular leash with out any problems.  

But if you prefer not to add that - I am sure that there are plenty of people here that will talk about proper trainig methods with a choke/pinch collars, and gentle leaders.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Based on the replies thus far, I will add the G.L. and pinch/choke collars to the training topic.  I don't agree with the use of them, however, there are those on this forum that do use them or are considering there use, and I would like them to have as much info as possible.

Liz (Professional Dog Trainer) and Lilly (Hearing Service Dog)

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Ok is the GL the head collar? If so why is it so bad?? Im sorry Liz Im having a duh moment again LMAO Also Im going to have to agree with tootsie on the choker/pinch collars!! Sorry if I just ticked some people off! :oops:

·
Registered
162 Posts
RoxyGirl22\";p=\"17732 said:
Ok is the GL the head collar? If so why is it so bad?? Im sorry Liz Im having a duh moment again LMAO Also Im going to have to agree with tootsie on the choker/pinch collars!! Sorry if I just ticked some people off! :oops:
If you let your dog just walk in front of you and don't keep them in a heel position; such as you don't have the physical capability or you dog is really wild and they can get out of your control, if they run and hit the end of the leash it can cause neck problems.  

I trained with the GL and pieces of chicken....  Chloe wasn't interested with anything but the food I had in my hand.  I haven't had a problem...  but some owners paired with dogs than can and will over power them - it may not be a good selection.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
What is it though?? Is it the head collar?!?!? Im really sorry guys Im going to look it up before I really am thought to be dumb lmao

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The G.L. is the head collar.  Its a good TRAINING tool if used appropraitely, but can easily become a crutch (which is why I don't like it).

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Thanks Liz thats what I thought LMAO! I only had to use it for a couple weeks lol Then she got the hint! I only use it when we go to the Pet Store now because a certain doggy seems to forget her manners and becomes deaf to her mommy :roll:  LMAO

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Showing the pros and cons of all collars would be helpful..  defidently with me. Im not happy with chokers just cause it seems too mean   :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey guys, I know that the choke collars are not the most popular, but I will swear by it.  I have a male, and at his max weight he was about 75-80 lbs.  Imagine me, a 5'0 120lb woman walking him.  The choke collar allowed me to teach him to heel without raising my voice, and it also taught him the importance of walking his master without pulling her too quickly.  I used it on him for about 1 month and never had to take it out again.  It looks hurtful, but it actually is not, it was very effective.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I swear by the pinch for Toby only because its the only thing that will get his attention with a small "pop".. I use the GL when we're in heavy dog traffic.. Hardly use the GL leader...

Liz.. if you want some help putting it together, let me know! I finished the chapter on "The Trainers Toolbox" last month and I have all my stuff in my book..

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Flutterby--I may take you up on some of the more technical "by the book" stuff for collars (I'll ask you for specifics from your book in a pm [watch for it] and you can pm it back...don't worry...I'll defintely give credit where credit is due...LOL!!!), as I haven't used a pinch, metal choke, or G.L. in quite some time, but for the most part I'm going to be sharing working knowledge (I have more than enough to go around) about each and I'll way the pro's and con's from a professional trainers perspective.

I should have the info up in the next week.  It's gonna take some time to compile all this info.  Thanks for the relies everybody.  Your input is greatly appreciated.

Liz and Lilly

1 - 15 of 15 Posts