Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Also, what is your method...what do you use...what works for you/your boxerbaby)Mic and Indy act as if I were taking them to the executioner every time I take them in the bathroom...they sit well enough(hanging their head over the side of the tub...looking generally foresaken) once you get them IN THE TUB(WDW anyone?)  Pua isn't doing so bad...I have been EXTRA careful with her, since the boys have been terrified since day one...no matter what we did(they will however swim and play at the lake, river, etc!?!?!)  My BIL says their sister Sophie is equally terrified...but, their older dog Max LOVES it and plays in the tub!

I have gotten to where I just mix the shampoo with the bath water (like a bubble bath) and rinse them with that...scrub the tough areas and then rinse with clear water and we are done...but, it is still quite an ordeal!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Chance HATES the bath.....but since he is all white i have to clean him a little more than normal cuz he loves to roll in the mud and dirt so i just get the wipes at petsmart and wipe him down with those when he gets dirty spots in between baths. But bath time is miserable with him....and they are so strong so it makes it even harder. I wish he liked the water like my lab does.....she will jump right in and just stand there while i am bathing her. Good luck and if you find any easy ways to do it please let me know

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Lol Jeanene, both Samson & Angel act  like they are being given a death sentence when it's bath time....In the summer, I bathe them outside, in the winter, obviously I use the tub...Once I get them in the tub, they are fine tho..Both just stand there, resigned I guess and just wait for this awful torture to be over  :lol:

Passenger 1147, I usually bathe my 2 every couple months and in between I use baby wipes on them

·
Registered
111 Posts
Apollo is fine with being in the bathroom, but try to lift him into the tub...all stops come out.  He frails his legs...so hard to get him into the tub...hope someone has an easier way for us to bathe him!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
In the winter time baths are a little bit harder to do. Savannah is very eay going about it. she sits there and lets you do pretty much whatever you want to her and she is ok....as long as her water is warm. If i get it a tad too cold/hot she prances and tries to jump ou. Reese is easy to get in the tub......she just loves to try and lick the water as it is coming from the faucet or while it is falling off her back. If I set right with her she is pretty good, i just cant turn away to grab a towl though if so she is out of the tub so quick!!  

Summer time is a different story. I take their leash and loop it around a tree branch, take the waterhose and hose them down...suds them up...then one more hose down. no mess to clean up, and i do a quick towl dry and they are good to go. Reese loves trying to "attack" the water that is coming out of the waterhose!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
What I have also done is use our shower, which of course requires me to get in as well, but we have a shower attachment which helps to wash the soap off...Easier on me, as it's hard to lift Samson into the tub  :)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I have the opposite problem. I cant stop Diesel from jumping in my daughters bath every day!
He always has been a water dog...

·
Registered
219 Posts
i bath harley every 2 months or so.. he dont do to bad.. he dont like it by no means.. but he sits and lets me bath him.

i use a sprayer that hooks to my sink then stretches to the tub.. i can put the shampoo in the chamber and i rinse him then hold the button and it dispenses shampoo in with the sprayer water until he has shampoo over him and then i rinse it off.. very easy

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We only bathe when we MUST!!!  We typically use the non alcoholic baby wipes to keep them fresh...but, every couple of months we HAVE to...and this time we REALLY had to...I was downstairs...Mic and Indy were outside in the backyard...I hear the dog door...kathump, kathump...then I hear "Mom!?!  Did you know that Mic is BLUE?"    8O  8O  8O No kidding! We freaked at first...thinking he got into a chemical...and we couldn't think what, because we put them all WAY up out of reach...(I'd have taken pics of our big SMURF, but I was too worried about toxicity!) Straight to the tub he went and it all came off relatively easily(turned out he found a ball point pen...we still don't know who got it open, as neither had Blue in thier mouths...but, somehow, Mic rolled in it...and there is still a bright blue spot out in the snow where they got into it!ROTFLOL!  Once I got him cleaned up, I realised how LONG it had been since we bathed them...literally months...so, in when Indigo...and then Pua...I know it isn't very often...but, it is STILL a pain for everyone involved...so, I had to ask...I am sure that Summer will be MUCH easier...in fact, last Summer, they got in the river and lake so often that i never had to formally bathe them...just used wipes as needed! :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Jeanene, I use Earth Bath Oatmeal shampoo..Really mild, smells great  :)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
We don't have a bath tub in our house, I don't know why, we want to add one sometime.  So Adam gets in with Duke in the shower and we have an attachment we use.  Duke loves it,  I think they horse around in there more then they actually do any cleaning.  I end up with a HUGE mess to clean up afterward to.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah will get into the tub but is not really happy about it; I take a shower with her as I found it was much easier.  She only gets a bath every 3-4 months.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Fiona is not found of any water that it is not her idea to get in!!!!  That counts bath and rain :)....Go to the lake and she jumps right in...Maybe we should do the bath at the lake??? :)   In the summer time Fiona has a bath outside with the hose and she is fine with that.  In the colder times she has got a bath in the grooming tub at work and she hates that too....Once i get her in it though she is fine!  I use Vet Solutions Oatmeal Shampoo and bath her about every 2 months unless she gets into something.....

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Ringer loves it so much that whenever I use the guest bathroom that has the tub in it, he jumps in there and just waits.  In the summer, I had him stand-stay and used a gentle stream from my hose.  In the 'winter' I am having him stand in the tub and use a shower massager with warm water.  Only problem I have is that he starts licking the shampoo off his legs.  Afterwards, we get a playtime or a nice long walk.  Now if it was only that easy to clip his nails.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Cooper has to get baths somewhat frequently right now.  Slowly getting him down to the normal schedule of every 2-3 months.  The first week I had him, he was getting baths about every other day.  Luckily, he's been fine with getting them, but I always take a shower with him.  I think it puts the dogs a little more at ease since his owner is going through it too, it must not be too bad.  Cooper loves licking the water off the walls, himself, my legs.  He also likes to hang out next to the tub when my son is getting a bath.  I've got to figure out what I'm going to do in the future when Cooper is full size.  Maybe use the walk-in shower in the guest bath.  Also, I've plumbed hot water to go outside a few years ago so that I can bathe dogs outside when the weather is nice enough.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts