Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
go on the offensive?

At the dog park yesterday, Atticus was having a great time with lots of dogs, mostly a great dane of his same age  who was boxing with him like ... well, another boxer.

But suddenly, out of the blue, this large, beefy dog decided he didn't like Atticus (they hadn't interacted at all) and he went after him.  Then another dog joined.  And another.  And another.  Til there were five dogs chasing poor Atticus in a tight little circle, right on top of him.

Of course I immediately ran over to protect him, but I came away wondering why this pack mentality suddenly focused on Atticus - who really wasn't doing anything other than playing with other dogs when the group attack ensued.

AnnA

·
Registered
381 Posts
Let me guess, Atticus was being loud and boisterous.  If someone didn't understand boxers, they would have thought he was being aggressive??

·
Registered
236 Posts
I can't shed any light on why they behave that way but had a similar experience with Dixie at a dog park.  She was chased into a corner by about 5 or 6 other dogs.  They weren't biting or anything but it really scared her..and me too.   After that we just stayed away from the dog parks.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Lucy the reason I asked the question above that I did, is because what I've seen is very similar to what you described.  It wasn't that the dogs were really attacking, but IMO, the dogs were trying to establish rank.  And when a young dog is loud, and initiating rough play (young boxers are known for this), I think it's sometimes viewed as dominant behavior and other dogs attempt to correct that behavior.  Why is the 14 month old puppy acting like she's the dominant dog out here today??  This has happened to Lola a time or two as we go to a big dog park twice a week.  Usually Lola just runs away but sometimes she gets caught and the other dogs are typically content to bump her onto the ground.  It's happened to Lola enough where she either tries to out run them or if she can't she'll roll over pretty easily.  Once that happens the other dogs know they've established where Lola stands.  

It can be scary to watch but I saw it happen 2-3 times at home before I saw it at the dog park with my neighbors 2 boxers when we were dog sitting.  On a couple occassions they just had enough of Lola's antics and had to put her in place.  It was scary to see my 6-9 month old with 2 full grown boxers ganging up on her and pushing her onto the ground and not letting her up, but they weren't hurting her, they were establishing rank.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
What Nexu described is the same thing that has happened to Kiah a time or two.  Kiah acts the same way that Lola does; usually runs or lays down belly up.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I also agree w/ Nexu!

Odin has had this happen only once at the dog park and it wasn't a pack just another boxer... older, thick boxer. Odin laid belly up with this dog on top of him for a bit. He wasn't being vocal or anything guess the other boxer found him annoying though!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
dungy has only had that happen once and it was a at small dog park and he is a mommas boy and jumps on to me for me to protect him lol.  Anytime there is a scuffle he runs over to me so he doesnt get into it lol.  

I feel like it happened cuz it was a small dog park, but the one in KY is like 15 acres and i havent seen a scuffle yet

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Angel would be the one to go over and see what's going on! My girl does that at meetups as well, which sometimes gets her in trouble...She will not back down, that's why her & Samson are a good mix

1 - 9 of 9 Posts