Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a year and a half old female named morgan. She is really skinny. She is almost looks malnurished. I have taken her to the vet and he said everything is fine but I have doubts. I feed her " Chicken Soup for the pet Lovers Soul" Adult...I also have another dog in the house. My other dog was brought in as a puppy. Now she is bigger than Morgan. I'm not sure if my other dog is being dominant with the food, or what. I leave thier food down all day and they eat from the same bowl. They are inside dogs. Has anyone had any experience with this? :cry:

·
Registered
375 Posts
I would try feeding them from seperate bowls and in different areas, it could be that she is not eating enough.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I agree with Starr05. You could also set feeding times so you can keep an eye on how much she is actually taking in. Odin is  pretty skinny boy... but he weighs a ton so I'm not worried... though I feel you should see his ribs like you do... barely but you do see them. You could always get a second opinion since you have your doubts from the vet your going to.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I agree seperate bowls would be the best place to start. Keep in mind it does take time to add some weight. it took my savannah 2 weeks to gain 2 pounds! hope things start looking up for your girl. after some time, maybe a month or two, if she still is skinny try adding cottage cheese. I hate the stuff personally but that is helping Savannah to pack on some much needed weight.

·
Registered
316 Posts
You could also add some real food to her diet.  i feed raw (hotly debated subject :roll: )  but i know lots of folks who feed fresh cooked meat as well.   just mix it in with the dry food she is already getting.  That could be a good way to help her gain weight.  

And i definately agree that feeding seperately is a fantastic way to make sure she is eating enough  :lol:

Good Luck  :D  Keep us posted

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chloesmom\";p=\"17983 said:
I agree seperate bowls would be the best place to start. Keep in mind it does take time to add some weight. it took my savannah 2 weeks to gain 2 pounds! hope things start looking up for your girl. after some time, maybe a month or two, if she still is skinny try adding cottage cheese. I hate the stuff personally but that is helping Savannah to pack on some much needed weight.
I will try the cottage cheese and feeding them at designated times. I have been a real stickler about not feeding them human food up to this point because I don't want them begging. But I am willing to do anything to put some weight on her. She is starting to worry me. Thanks everyone for your help!!!!!!! :wink:

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I was the same way! no human food at any time. My girls dont beg off our plates though. they know that they get the cottage cheese and are fine with it

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Also, if she has not been checked recently for worms, I would do that too. They can be mean little devils  :twisted: and most (hooks/tapes) will keep them thin.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Giving her things like peanut butter & cottage cheese won't make her beg - dogs only learn that behaviour if you feed them scraps directly off the table.  But giving them "human food" as treats or with their own food shouldn't cause a problem.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I would switch to feeding meals two to three times a day.  I have fed that way for the last 15 years with my dogs. That way she gets hungry inbetween and you can monitor her intake.  I would probably switch her on to a little better dog food eventually, one with a higher amount of protein and more quality ingredients.  Put out 1/2 the daily amount for each dog and give them 15 minutes in which to eat it.  If they don't eat or finish it all put it up till the next feeding. Do this probably twice daily adding the third time if she starts eating well on the twice a day routine.  Some Boxers are just hard to put weight on, but first you need to monitor what she is actually taking in. It could very well be that the other dog is food guarding and keeping her away from the dish.

Nano

1 - 10 of 10 Posts