Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mix something with his kibble??.. and is it safe to do so each time he eats?

he has gotten to where he dont want to eat so today i mixed a teaspoon of peanut butter with his kibble and he ate every bite.

if its okay... can everyone Please  share some idea's  of things thats safe to mix?

thanks
brandi

ALSO HERE IS A PIC OF HARLEY TAKEN AT THE PARK TODAY

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I would add extra things slowly to see how he does with them. One ingredient at a time, but sure, I add scrambled eggs, low fat, plain yogurt, green beans, carrots, apples, bananas & sardines..Not all at the same time tho.... :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
I think chicken broth is pretty safe and some people add pumpkin or cottage cheese.  You could always try just a little canned dog food though.  Have yet to find a pup that didn't chow it down.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Just a thought. If you don't want to do this every meal. It should be done when you say so, not when your pup decides he wants to be picky. He sounds like he is bored and playing you to get yummies. If this is ok with you than go for it. But you will most definatly create a monster that won't eat his food without the extra's.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
we used to add cottage cheese to each meal because the girls really didnt want to eat. It got to the point though that they would like the cottage cheese off and leave the kibble. We had been in the process of switching foods often to find one they eat alone. Well many months and 8 brands of food later i no longer have to put the add in to get them to eat. They get extra treats of fruit and pb, and cottage cheese and stuff still i just dont have to use it to entice them to eat.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Just to say he is so CUTE! I mix haven's food with canned but have been since she was a puppy slowly start as said before but it should not be a problem.
Samantha

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I agree that there is nothing wrong with giving a little "extra's", but I also agree with Bumpy in that it should not be everyday or every meal or you will have a pup/then an older dog that will not eat without something "special"

I have an old saying I use at work for the owners of the little table scrap only dogs who they say just :would not eat its kibble/food".....If you give them a bologna they want a hotdog, if you give them a hotdog they want a steak....:)

I would also suggest that most foods will release a "new" smell when damp so maybe try adding a little hot water to the dry kibble before offering and stay away so much from all the goodies until he can learn to eat his kibble....Then introduce it slow and one thing at a time.....

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bumpy\";p=\"47642 said:
Just a thought. If you don't want to do this every meal. It should be done when you say so, not when your pup decides he wants to be picky. He sounds like he is bored and playing you to get yummies. If this is ok with you than go for it. But you will most definatly create a monster that won't eat his food without the extra's.

i dont mind at all to spoil harley by adding yummies to his food.. ive always hated giving my dog's just kibble all the time.
i dont even caree to cook his food if need be. but the nutro is helping him soooo much his coat is getting a very beautiful rich color to it he has more energy and dont just lay around. he isnt shedding as badly..all in a matter of one week  8O  so id rather mix things with it and him be happy on that food than to go back to puppy chow.

but on the yogurt and cottage cheese gave my cocker spaniel i use to have the run's.. is this true with boxers as well???

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I add stuff to Oggie's food quite often.  Although I make sure to feed him at least one kibble-only meal every day.  He's never not eaten whatever I gave him.  I would be concerned if he wouldn't eat plain kibble.  I would try to keep giving it to him if he didn't.  As suggested, try mixing in some canned dog food for a while. I'd also consider switching kibbles if it really was an issue.  You could be heading down a bad road if you teach them they don't need to eat kibble.   I have friends with dogs that won't eat regular dog food anymore, they will only eat treats.  And boy are they fat dogs.  They also have learned they don't have to do anything they don't want to, and that's a bad message.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
i added things to Chance's meals when we first got him and for a few months after to put some weight on him cuz he was soooo thin and i had the hardest time making him just eat his kibble. It took a long time to get him back in the habit of eating just kibble so for his  treats i just give him his kong with treats and leave the kibble for meal times. I definitly created a monster with him. Good luck

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well harley will eat puppy chow.. but when i mix it with the nutro he will not touch it.. i also tried to mix it with some chicken soup kibble and a candine (not sure if i spelled that right) sample i got in the mail.. and again nothing unless its just puppy chow and i dont want to feed him puppy chow.

im still struggling with it.. my vet said to let him be and if he got hungry enough he would eat it.. but with not one bite in 2 days i started to worry.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I know it's hard.....but the dog will not starve himself. You have to out will him. A day or two will not hurt him. I too had a tough time with our female and kibble. We put food down for about 15 min. If no eat..it comes up. They learn that at meal time you eat or you wait till next meal. We have switched over to raw, I very rarely have an issue now, but on occasion she will still snub a meal. It just gets picked up and fed later at dinner. I know it sounds cruel.....but the best drive for your dog to eat is hunger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts