Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I was thinking for maybe getting a brother for Milla so she is not totally alone during the day. Is it wise to do this? I mean I know we can handle twice the mischief and care and love but I was thinking about Milla. She doesn't know how to play lightly. We took her to puppy classes the other day and the trainer squirts them with water to calm them down if they get too over-excited or bullies the other dogs. After the play session, Milla was soaking wet. She just chases and jumps on every dog there, even rottweilers that are a lot bigger than her. She played with a little scottish terrier as if it was one of her plushie toys, jumping on her to make her squeak. Milla is gonna be twice the size and age of the new puppy, will she not play too rough with him?

G

·
0 Posts
you would just have to be very diligent in your training and make sure you will not tolerate too rough of play

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I've realized from my encounters with other dogs that boxers just play differently.  A lot of dogs simply can't handle the neverending hyperactivity, jumping, and pawing.  I take Oggie to daycare sometimes and they keep telling me "We've never seen a dog play all day non-stop like him."  Mind you they have other boxers there, they are just a bit older.  So a boxer puppy's playfulness is probably unmatched by any other breed.  Usually docile lab's and other breeds will often nip when they get sick of a boxer playing.....my friend's lab has bitten my dog 3 times now.  He also from the very beginning loves to jump at the throat of bigger dogs.  

My advice is to get another boxer!  They should have a blast playing together

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I will defo get another boxer, I am absolutely bonkers for boxers. So you say if I get another boxer, it should not be a problem?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Can't guarantee it, I only have 1 myself, but a lot of people on here have 2 and some say it's easier because they play with each other.  We've had a bunch of threads on here about adding a second boxer, you need to keep in mind age and sex primarily.  I would search for threads in the archive about adding another boxer, lots of good info

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I have two and I can assure you that Boxers do play differently than other breeds. I think they are much more vocal and rough. Sampson was the same way. When he played, he was all over the other dogs and so rough! Now that we have Lucy, those two play NON-STOP, very vocal, and very rough! I get a little worried sometimes because they growl a lot (they sound so mean) and chest butt, etc. but my hubby says I worry too much. If they get too loud, I do intervene and tell them to settle, and they do. I have only heard Lucy squeal maybe two times since we got her but he has never hurt her. She was 34lbs. when we got her and Sam was about 70lbs. so there was quite a size difference.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I'm always worried that Diesel will be too rough with Chyna. he just loves to pounce on her back whenever she's least expecting it. She's a good sport most times, she'll either deal with it, or play back. But when she gets fed up with his antics, she'll let him know. I'll hear a squeal (from Diesel) then they'll both come lay down.

·
Registered
893 Posts
My problem is the opposite, my 5 month old Delila is constantly after my 5 year old Ekim. He takes so much and then lets her know with a growl that enough is enough. When the play session gets out of hand I say the word Enough, and it stops. although Delila does try to go back for more, this is when she gets her time out. You may be surprised that the puppy might be the rough one when playing. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Luann

G

·
0 Posts
My Jetta (almost 6 months) plays really well with most dogs...she can be a bit...obnoxious to some of the other ones...my mom has a 8 year old GSD/Golden retriever/sheltie mix that LOVES to play with Jetta..but hates to play with Bo...Bo is just tooo big and strong for sImba...

The two of them together on the other hand...could play ALL day and ALL night and never get tired...they are a constant companion and inseperable to each other...Bo is very gentle with her...even though when we got him he was twice her size...he was a little aggressive the first day or two while he was adapting and they worked out their pecking order...but since then they are best friends and they definately play differently than other dogs...boxers' best companion is another boxer...and if you want one..I'd highly recommend getting...instead of YOU having to keep Milla occupied...they will keep each other occuppies (however...mine like to keep each other occupied by playing ON MY LAP!)

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
boxers' best companion is another boxer...and if you want one..I'd highly recommend getting...instead of YOU having to keep Milla occupied...they will keep each other occuppies (however...mine like to keep each other occupied by playing ON MY LAP!)[/quote]

I totally agree with Jamie on this. We take them over to my sister's house and she has two dogs but they are older and don't really play, just the little side to side thing and maybe a little chase. My two play constantly and when it was just Sam, we had to do way more to keep him occupied and expend all of his energy. IMO, my two probably get more exercise in one day than most one dog homes get in a week! Yea, and what is up with that...we live in a 2300 sq. ft. home with a fairly large backyard yet those two must play right at our feet??? :roll:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts