Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you might know, I have a 5 month old Boxer and a 3 month old American Bulldog. Both of them are boys. The play fighting has been 24/7. When take them on a walk, they play fight instead of taking care of their business, and when we come home all they do all day is wrestle with each other. It's non-stop. I can't really do anything except just sitting them and watch them 24-7 making sure things don't get out of hand. Sometimes they even get loud too barking at each other. What my question is... will they tone down a bit as they age, or will I have to deal with this for the rest of their lives? These are my first dogs ever owned so...

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Geez, I don't know, I have girl-boy combo that are 1 yr and 2 yrs. and they are the same 24/7 play. I will say that they walk on the leash ok but they play all the darn time. We have to tell them to calm down for bed time and take up toys otherwise they would be playing and squeaking toys all night long! Maybe once you start some type of obedience training they will do better on a leash - they are quite young yet but I am not sure about the playing, I think you have a ways to go there. My guess would be once they are around 3-4 they may tone down to 12/3/5  :lol:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh My... Can't imaging them full grown and still wrestling in the living room... They are going to knock everything over and go crazy... Next month when I get my income tax return they will be in obedience school. Hopefully that will help a bit. I guess I am going to have to wait it out!!! It just get annoying sometimes. LOL

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Nope pull up a chair and get used to it.  Hanna is VERY vocal since getting Kash.   I think its a domanance thing with her.   However she knows she rules the roost even though he is the one with the balls  :lol:    As long as its not vicious, they are just playing and most likely the play is establishing order in their pack...of two!

G

·
0 Posts
my two play fight ALL the time...they body slam each other and shake the house!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mine never have really grown out of it...but that's why we love 'em huh? Chesney, my female was always much more hyper than my male though. They would always go at it!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi there...I have a similar situation with a slight twist:  I have a six month old Boxer (Loomis) and a six YEAR old Pug (Gabby).  The problem is that he is constantly chasing, pawing, barking, and play biting her...AND SHE HATES IT!  She doesn't play back - she just runs - or lets him just bark or do his thing while she sits there - but will eventually try and get away. What should I do?  I'm constantly saying "LEAVE IT" or "NO BITE", but he won't stop.  He also gets angry anytime she even sniffs his toys, and begins barking loudly!!!   :cry: What kind of training should I do to make him stop!  I don't want it to continue or get worse!  Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
water bottle works pretty well... we had an issue w/ dungy messing w/ the cats till he got scratched all over his face and now after spraying him w/ water he stops and it isnt like he is scared of the bottle, we have stopped using it and when he starts up again we just make a noise to distract him and he is like "Oh yah i shouldnt do that" lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
I tried the water bottle for awhile, but forgot about it...sometimes he would just bark louder...but I think if I was consistent with it, it might work!  I'm sure he's just wanting her to play - but I can't have him constantly chasing and barking the poor little thing!

Question: He's not supposed to be able to bully his toys from her right?  They're supposed to be "mine" not "his" therefore "I" can give the toys to whomever I want...right?  And if he does bark and hate that Gabby has his toys...what is the correct way of training him?  Thanks

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
well he is 6 months... dungy is 7 and if anyone has his toy he barks... he also barks and messes w/ our older dogs but they dont want to play

how long have u had him cuz dungy still messes w/ them but he has gotten better and knows they dont want to play as much.  We also take him to the dog park so he can play w/ other dogs and then he doesnt care as much when he gets home cuz he is so tired

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I don't use the water bottle (a common petsmart training device) and don't think it would be a good choice for you.  It has already become a game for him and he voices loudly when you use it.  I just did intensive private training on a dog that had had a squirt bottle used on him and we had to stop the use of it as he was becoming very agitated by it. There is a better solution for you.  Any command you use must happen that is why your "leave it" "no bite" isn't.  It has to mean something, not just you nagging away at the dog.  So when "enough" doesn't happen with the play you will snap a lead on Loomis  (let him drag it around behind him in the house so you can step on it and redirect behavior) and you will tell him "Loomis SIT"  make him maintain that sit for a few seconds, praising him the entire time with the words good sit, good sit (15 if that's possible" and then release him from that job with a release word such as "FREE" and tell him he's a good boy!  This is positive dog training that is based on praising and teaching appropriate behaviors.  Everytime he starts in bullying the pug and you say enough and he doesn't listen he will do a sit.  Might have to do 200 sits the first day, but I guarantee you it will work.  Just be consistant and keep at it.   You are replacing his decisions of things to do with giving him a JOB to do, he is after all a working dog.  He will learn to appreciate it and it will make you a wonderful leader in his eyes.  He is really searching for some sort of leadership from you as the pack leader of your dogs.

On the question over bullying about toys.  If my younger female wants a toy the Mateo has and starts pitching a "barking fit" the toy goes away, "thats it" (my command when I take it away), for a LONG time.  Like atleast an hour.  That is called a "consequence" for barking about a toy someone else has.  He will learn that after a while.  Then maybe the toys come back out and you have two.  One you say is (and I use this command) "pug's toy"  and this one is "Loomis' toy" and as you say each name give them the toy slightly away from the other dog.  If the barking continues the toys go up again for that long period of time.  Keep working at it and you will get there.  The command to end barking is "enough" at our house.  Enough, means that we have played enough, barked enough, had enough petting, These are things that you can do but we have had "enough" for right now.  At my house "leave it" is for something we never do.  No eating cat crap, jumping on people and dogs, etc.  Just be clear & consistant with what you'd like him to do and not do.

Nano

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Nano gave you some great advice.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
You're welcome.  

Helping people and their dogs connect is one of my passions and I have a wonderful mentor, so I pass it on.

Nano

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Does this technique work if the pup keeps coming at ME in terms of biting.  I can't sit and watch a tv show because there are times he just goes bonkers!  Once it a while he gets so wild in his play that I put him in the bathroom for a time out!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Try it, you will like it.  The sit is a command though and has to be maintained by him until you RELEASE him with a FREE command.  That is the key with using this.  I used to make my male sit everytime he went after the hose water when I was watereing my flowers and he quit.  Another good thing to practice is a nice down or settle (just means to lay or sit and relax, not as much a command as down would be) with a short 6 foot leash snapped on him while you are watching t.v. for a half hour or so.  It really helps them learn to relax.  I did a post response to a biting puppy that you might want to look up that helps specifically with that.  The time out in the bathroom is a good idea too.

Nano

1 - 17 of 17 Posts