Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
My girlfriend posted the other day and I have to say this is a great forum. You guys are very insightful. A quick question. We finally brought our boxer (Penny) home and we wanted to take her for a walk outside. Bbut she was hesitant to twalk with us. At first it was like dragging her b/c she would put sit and not budge. Is this normal? I'm assuming the envirnoment is new and she was scared. If a dog is hesitant to walk how do you get her to walk with you. I remember Ceasar Millan had an episode like this but I can't remember how he motivated the dog to walk with him. I really don't want to carry her everywhere nor do I want her to get used to that. Any Suggestions????
Thanks,
Tommy, Nina & Penny.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
How old is Penny???  I cant remember.  Assuming she is not to young to be out on walks.  Then yeah they have to get use to the leash and learn how to walk on it....I would start off inside and let her pull the leash around on the floor and then use treats to get her to walk...come to you.....Sometimes it is easier to me to teach some of the basic commands first then go into walking on the leash.  Things like sit, come, stay.....

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
We would leave the leash on Lola while she was inside the house.  Didn't try taking her for walks until she was a few months old.  The rule is 5 minutes for each month (I believe).  The most leash walking she did in the first few months was to go outside to go the bathroom.  Penny will get the hang of it!  Good luck....and welcome!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
The general rule of thumb for walks is 5 minutes for every month of age....Also if she hasn't had all her shots yet it's best that you keep walks inside your yard....I would do like Sharon suggested, have her just wear the lead around inside the house, let her get used to it first..Like anything new, sometimes they tend to fight it a bit, so use treats...Also including very basic commands while she's on the leash is very good...You cannot start soon enuf with obedience...

·
Registered
942 Posts
like the others have said, you need to train her to walk on a lead...they don't just know how to or what it is from birth. Just let her drag her leash around the house for awhile, she'll get used to it being back there. Then just take her on short little walks, she'll get the hang of it. Good luck and be sure to let us know how it's going. :)

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I think everyone above has mentioned all the things you can do to get her to walk with you on a leash, like the 5 min. for each month they are old.  Another thing to remember is that they shouldn't be taken on cement or hard surfaces either because it can injure their joints.  So basically a 5-7 minute romp on lawn or soft surface is really all a 10 week old puppy needs.  Good luck with your new one and we'd love to see pictures and hear all about her progress.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
We had the same problem with Jessie at first too... so like everyone said we just left the leash on her inside and she eventually got used to it!

·
Registered
780 Posts
I think it depends on the dog.  Ziggi HATES leashes and is just now at over a year and a half getting so he will tolerate them.  He would just flop down and flip around trying to get the leash off.   The others have been much better about it and not so much problem.  It has taken alot of time and work with Ziggi but he is getting better.  The peanut butter is a good idea.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Peanut butter seems to be the trick in our house for anything.  Since both dogs are on medicine, I take there pills and roll them in peanut butter and both are taking there pills, rather then me basically having to force them to.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Just make sure you keep in mind the 5 min rule...because there have been boxers who ended up with hip and shoulder problems from walking TOO much too soon...and you Do want to be REALLY careful not to take her to parks and public places where other dogs have peed, etc...as you can't know if she might be exposed to parvo or some other doggy disease that she hasn't been FULLY vaccinated against!

Also, she may not be hesitant because of the leash, so much as overwhelmed by being outside and all of the new sites and sounds!  She'll get used to it...mostly, right now, she is getting used to the two of you and will look to you for shelter when afraid...

THey are SO worth it! Enjoy!

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
everyone has said everything lol...peanut butter is the wonder thing.lol..mine will do anything for it...well actually mine will kinda do anything for any food as you can see by the size of them hahahaha

good luck...im sure itll be fine..Isis hated the leash at age 4 when we got her..and she still hates it but tolerates it b/c she knows shes going somewhere...:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts