Definitely a bit bigger than what I was expecting. lol

How's the poodle doing?

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Thanks Lindar.

Definitely a bit bigger than what I was expecting. lol

How's the poodle doing?
Yes its all going great now. We have moments. Poodle just turned 11 months so he is still work in progress. Just when I think we have it all in control he has a moment of acting like a bronco. It happened yesterday, he got over stimulated by seeing a lot of things all in a matter of 10 minutes, He was on a structured walk, saw a new dog, dig good ignoring and looking at me, then a loose dog, we just turned around and went in a different direction, then 3 kids on bicycles doing loops over and over along side us, he gave a bark or two but stayed in a sit stay. Then another dog came dog us still good, then another getting antsy, then a GSD puppy pulling its owner barked at us, he got more antsy..AS we approached our house my neighbor was using a leaf blower and his dog was running the fence and the poodle said ok enough, he bounced and barked like a loon, corrected himself on his prong, looked at me, I put him in heel position sitting t my side gave him minute to settle and back in a structured walk into the house. So he had many distractions but came around. So we still have a way to go but I need to add distractions into our program a bit more. I'm going to go sit in the parking lot at Petsmart and just let him watch as he gets comfortable we will add some training in. Meanwhile our boxer is now great, very laid back can take him anywhere now. So I have hopes. LOL I'll add a picture later.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome!

Yeah Zuke gets a lot of stimulation but even at 2 1/2 now if too much is going on(like your walk yesterday,lol), he still has to get that energy out. Usually I will start jogging and thankfully after I did all the focused heel training, he will run right along my side. Still trying to get him to stop chasing the ducks down by the beach. Its 50/50 lol. He will leave them alone when they are just floating or walking, but when they come in for landings or try to fly away, its just too much for that crazy boxer brain.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Zuke is a big guy! Hes cute! I was just reading your posts. After reading your posts and soen others, I think i need to work on training more with Snow! More in terms of outside time.
Today we walked on a path that had a lot of dogs and when she sees them coming she kinda freezes, then she lays down but not in a completely relaxed way. Then as they are passing she will dart out at them. She doesnt do it all the time but today she did it a lot. I cant tell if shes being aggressive or playful.
She is super happy outside & generally skips down the path ahead of me lol investigating every bush, plant, and leaf.
Ive taught her left & right so that she will walk on either side of the path that I tell her. Sometimes its hard for her to stay on one side cuz she so curious. But i will call her over & correct her.
Sometimes shes obviously playful with other dogs but then like I said its hard to tell. We usually dont have as much foot traffic as we did today & she was able to ignore some ppl passing at times but that was almost towards the end.
Also at the end of the path before we ahd to turn around i let her run freely in a closed in area & she went wild lol after reading your posts i realize she was burning off energy from all the encounters cuz she was much better on the way back.
I am not consistent when we meet other dogs. I dont want her to be antisocial, but i dont want her running up to everyone either. Currently shes a little bit of both. If she could talk she would definitely be like "Hiiii!!! Im Snowball!!" With a big smile on lmao
Also she is deff jealous and possesive. She has started barking at other dogs & some ppl. She did not do this before, she hardly ever barked.
I am not sure where i should start or what i should do to get her better manners or socialized or whatever it is she needs some training on.
Shes really good but i think tgis aprt could be better. Also probably my fault cuz its all been totally new to me and im generally an introvert lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Zuke is a big guy! Hes cute! I was just reading your posts. After reading your posts and soen others, I think i need to work on training more with Snow! More in terms of outside time.
Today we walked on a path that had a lot of dogs and when she sees them coming she kinda freezes, then she lays down but not in a completely relaxed way. Then as they are passing she will dart out at them. She doesnt do it all the time but today she did it a lot. I cant tell if shes being aggressive or playful.
She is super happy outside & generally skips down the path ahead of me lol investigating every bush, plant, and leaf.
Ive taught her left & right so that she will walk on either side of the path that I tell her. Sometimes its hard for her to stay on one side cuz she so curious. But i will call her over & correct her.
Sometimes shes obviously playful with other dogs but then like I said its hard to tell. We usually dont have as much foot traffic as we did today & she was able to ignore some ppl passing at times but that was almost towards the end.
Also at the end of the path before we ahd to turn around i let her run freely in a closed in area & she went wild lol after reading your posts i realize she was burning off energy from all the encounters cuz she was much better on the way back.
I am not consistent when we meet other dogs. I dont want her to be antisocial, but i dont want her running up to everyone either. Currently shes a little bit of both. If she could talk she would definitely be like "Hiiii!!! Im Snowball!!" With a big smile on lmao
Also she is deff jealous and possesive. She has started barking at other dogs & some ppl. She did not do this before, she hardly ever barked.
I am not sure where i should start or what i should do to get her better manners or socialized or whatever it is she needs some training on.
Shes really good but i think tgis aprt could be better. Also probably my fault cuz its all been totally new to me and im generally an introvert lol

Zuke did the same thing as a puppy. I think its their way of not showing dominance, at least in Zukes case, he would make himself lower than the other dog, it was a little disconcerting at 1st because it looked like he was stalking. I just pulled up on his leash to get him to stand normally. He stopped doing it after a few times

I would just get her to play with maybe a few dogs you know, and are friendly with. Its what I do with Zuke. Any other dogs he has to ignore. A good exercise is to just sit outside a dog park, or pet friendly area and have her just relax with you. Don't go in. Don't let her greet other dogs. She will learn that she can see other dogs but doesn't have to greet them and could be in a relaxed state.

Also if you are going to be on a trail or something like that where you most likely come into close contact with other dogs, I would exercise her good before you get there. Like you noticed, once she burned off all that energy she was much better.

A focused heel has also helped me tremendously with distractions. There is a whole thread on it. I would work on a structured walk 1st, then a regular heel, then go for the focused heel.

Saw your picks of Snow in the other thread. She's looking great!

Would also add, exercise, exercise, exercise. lol Boxers need lots of it. I'm lucky that I work from home, so my schedule is flexible. We do about about a 2-2 1/2 mile bike ride every morning. Then he gets off leash play at the beach every afternoon for about 45 minutes to an hour. Then we do a structured walk every night for about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. When we get back we do bite training and other assorted training for about a 1/2 hour. A lot people can't do that much understandably, but I would say try to to do as much as you can, its worth it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Okay, Thank You!! I will have to look all of that up, structured walk, heel (we may have gone over in our training class) & focused heel

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, Thank You!! I will have to look all of that up, structured walk, heel (we may have gone over in our training class) & focused heel

Yeah, structured walk is pretty simple, its just you going from point A to point B, the dog has to be slightly behind whichever side you prefer, no pulling, no walking in front of you, no letting her sniff, etc. the dog is always following your lead. Be confident as the leader and she will get it soon enough.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Snow. I do both with the puppy. He get a structured walk 2x aa day, then a leisurely walk. He is not allowed to greet other dogs, ever...thats me I also use the Look at Me command..instead of fixing on people or other animals he looks to me. I started that with a treat when ever I would see another person. I don't often have any treats on me but yesterday I should have. LOL I also use the Look at that, when I see someone approaching I may say or look here here a new pup or a jogger, or hey those are bicycles. Its a little distraction but sometimes thats all thats needed.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yeah, im on the fence with how friendly she should be with others. My uncle has told me i should be more like Lindar lol
Is it too late to change her at this point? She has a couple of neighborhood dog friends i let her play with on our walks there. Well the run the fences they live behind together...
I will definitely have to work at this!! Seems like it will be hard for me as well lol im pretty leisurely lol

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, im on the fence with how friendly she should be with others. My uncle has told me i should be more like Lindar lol
Is it too late to change her at this point? She has a couple of neighborhood dog friends i let her play with on our walks there. Well the run the fences they live behind together...
I will definitely have to work at this!! Seems like it will be hard for me as well lol im pretty leisurely lol

Its basically teaching her to ignore distractions. People, other dogs, etc. You aren't really changing her from being friendly, but training her to look to you for guidance. If you want to greet another dog, its under your terms, if you want to ignore a dog its up to you.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks for the clarification! I will definitely start working on this! Sometimes her "curiosity" makes our more time sensitive walks frustrating!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the clarification! I will definitely start working on this! Sometimes her "curiosity" makes our more time sensitive walks frustrating!

Zuke was the same way. lol. My neighbor said I should have named him the Mayor when he was puppy cause he wanted to greet or inspect everyone and anything.

Have to say I would rather have the curios puppy, usually have better nerves, than a frightful puppy. Can be stubborn though.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes! She still can be a little skiddish & stubborn lol I beleive she has begun acting teenagerish lmao. We had a rental for aa week & the back area was smaller than my regular car so she would just jump from the back to the back seat & then she just dat herself in the front seat. Inwas fine with it in the rental and assumed that the back was uncomfortable. However lol when we fot my car back, suddenly she is too good for the back despite the blanket, pillow & toy set up lmao. She pretended like she was gonna stay back there & as soon as i took off driving she jumped the seats and now she basically refuses to go back there! She will sit in the back seat only now. When i leave her in the car she jumps to my seat to wait. Its hilarous. But i noticed that I suddenly have to tell her things repeatedly & even use my stern mom voice to get her to obey lmao

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
snows mom.. well that I would not allow for safety reasons both hers & yours. Front seat/air bags bad combination. Back seat or rear is fine. My dogs are all tethered to the seatbelt. Or clipped to the anchor in rear. I use a flat dollar but honestly a harness in the car i safer. If you were to be in a accident your dog would place you in the "blame" as it your fault the dog was distracting you. My daughter had this happen to her, a person literally jumped on the hood of her car, they crossed in between two moving cars who had been stopped at a light, my daughters car was 2nd following the first. Fortunately her dog was in a harness teared to the back seat. When it all went to court she was blamed saying the dog was in her lap and probably instructed her. They did not mention the woman was running at the intersection between two moving vehicles. They sell these seatbelt tethers on Amazon.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts