Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello!
Looking for some good suggestions on booties that have worked for you in the Winter. We took our morning walk and this year my boxer‘s paws started to bleed. He is getting more sensitive as he is getting older.

Web links would be awesome too, so I know to get the right ones. I know that people have tried so many And have given up. Looking for some good ones. Cost isn’t the issue as he loves the outdoors and we would like to keep him active. Thank you in advance!

DD7A6A0A-C372-43BD-8D30-43F650A9E030.jpeg

! 99DDFAAC-78FC-4304-A8D6-CFF0A0DEEE6F.jpeg

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Boot's are kinda tricky to fit on Boxer's on a account of they have tiny feet. They general S/M/L sizes don't work well. You'd have to measure there feet.

It sounds like it's wear and tear that is the issue?? And you can still look for boot's ... I used Ruff Wear dog boot's, but Struddlle would flip them off on occasion??

A plan B if cold or harsh terrain is not an issue?? Would be "Mushers Secret." With my GSD I was more concerned with protecting his paw's from "Ice Melt," and Salt on Side Walk's and the Street's.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I had really good success with ruffwear booties for bike rides, until his nail started cutting into his pad. That was just an unfortunate circumstance of the way his nail grew than anything to do with the boot design.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I had really good success with ruffwear booties for bike rides, until his nail started cutting into his pad. That was just an unfortunate circumstance of the way his nail grew than anything to do with the boot design.
How did he take to them?? Struddell was not happy with them but she did get used to them.

I never got them for Rocky, they would have been huge for one thing. And second, "I felt," he thought I was "thinking about them for him??"

And to quote "Leerburgh," "Don't start a battle your not prepared to finish ... " Rocky (Wl GSD) never wore boot's. Mushers, would have serviced our need's I was only the "Snow Melt."

Could have used "boot's," for our Band Dawg however! He was always going to the Vet for stitches for cut paw's! I have no idea what he was doing?? But his pad's paw's were always getting cut??

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
How did he take to them?? Struddell was not happy with them but she did get used to them.

I never got them for Rocky, they would have been huge for one thing. And second, "I felt," he thought I was "thinking about them for him??"

And to quote "Leerburgh," "Don't start a battle your not prepared to finish ... " Rocky (Wl GSD) never wore boot's. Mushers, would have serviced our need's I was only the "Snow Melt."

Could have used "boot's," for our Band Dawg however! He was always going to the Vet for stitches for cut paw's! I have no idea what he was doing?? But his pad's paw's were always getting cut??
Zuke walked funny for about 10 steps and then I just started running down the road and he had no choice but to follow me. I was reading how you should just do it slowly and let the dog get used to it, but in my experience, at least with Zuke, the less I let him think about something, the better he is at following. lol. He can be extremely stubborn. Smartest dog I ever owned, but easily the most stubborn.

After the issue with the nail though, I had to stop using the booties. Have used Mushers Secret for years with excellent results. Only time I had a problem was when he stepped on a piece of glass. Nothing I could have done about that though.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Yeah, glass can be bad! I think only Kevlar Boot's would protect from that and I'm not sure they make dog boot's out of that?? Maybe S&R dog boot's but I would imagine they would not be cheap ... if they make them??

The biggest natural hassle we have around here are "Goat Head's," they break off from the tumble weed's ... NV native plant or at least it outta be. :)

And if a dog hit's one of those ... it will stop them cold! Bella picked one up for the first time. I saw her sprinting around which she always does (when we go out) and suddenly she stopped cold and lifted a leg. I knew what it was and told her stay and I pulled it out.

I think she picked it up when she went from brush to sidewalk where we happened to be?? I think if they are in dirt (the Goat Heads) they don't embed in the paws as easily?? I should try fitting Stru's boot's on Bella??

She has the same "Tiny Feet," so I know they would fit. And as a bonus it would give me a chance to annoy the crap out of her. :)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Never heard of goat heads. We get these weeds in the summer that have these tiny balls with spikes all over them. They will stick into anything. Shoes, clothing, skin, etc. They are absolute evil. Zuke will get them in his paws and I have to pull them out, then they are stuck in my fingers....

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I think I remember something like that in Ca?? But those weren't cover with sharp spine like fish hook's?? The goat head's hurt and you don't want to put the weight of your foot down on them! Are the thing's your talking about that bad??

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I think I remember something like that in Ca?? But those weren't cover with sharp spine like fish hook's?? The goat head's hurt and you don't want to put the weight of your foot down on them! Are the thing's your talking about that bad??
I think they are called Sand Burs. All I know is they are brutal. One big weed can have a ton of them. Imagine a whole area with them. lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Matt, I know exactly the weed that you are talking about, we had them all over Utah growing up.... My Mom would get so pissed at all the socks I ruined, like I intentionally picked them up. Lol The worst thing here in Oregon is the Damn ?*!*ing Himalayan Blackberry crop that grows in EVERY area that it possibly can. It's also a big part of my job as a land surveyor but I have a very sharp Colombian Machete that I've used for 30 years and it has at least 10,000,000 confirmed blackberry kills.

Their only redeeming quality is that they have great tasting berries....

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm gonna throw in 2 more candidates for terrible plants. Devils Club and Poison Oak, we have so much Poison Oak around here you have to be an expert to spot it, especially when the leaves are gone. Diesel never seemed to pick up the allergic reaction but it it very easily transferred off their fur.

Happy New Year Everyone!! So glad to see 2020 in the rear view, it can't get worse right? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Matt, I know exactly the weed that you are talking about, we had them all over Utah growing up.... My Mom would get so pissed at all the socks I ruined, like I intentionally picked them up. Lol The worst thing here in Oregon is the Damn ?*!*ing Himalayan Blackberry crop that grows in EVERY area that it possibly can. It's also a big part of my job as a land surveyor but I have a very sharp Colombian Machete that I've used for 30 years and it has at least 10,000,000 confirmed blackberry kills.

Their only redeeming quality is that they have great tasting berries....
LOL. Yup thats the weed. You get those on your socks might as well throw them out.(y)

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Not sure what those are?? But I think think they stick in cotton but don't pierce flesh?? Not really painful ... is that right?? Kinda round and rolley???

The Goat's are like fish hook's! You have to be careful when you pull them out out!

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
LOL well I saw the extra length Booties on Chewy's! I don't really take her out in bad weather as she proved a few day's ago .. that she does really not that crap!

But screw it ... I saw the extra length boot's on Chewy's! And I'm gonna get them for Bella, Boxer/Pit! :)

And sign she is very much like my Struddell, she won't wear hat's!!! But the extra length boot's?? I'm putting them on her ... just cuz. :)

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
LOL we had them for Kai, actually we still have them, just one of the articles I can't part with. It was so funny to see him walk in them whenever we would first put them on. He would lift his feet like he was walking on hot coal but he quickly got use to them.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Not sure what those are?? But I think think they stick in cotton but don't pierce flesh?? Not really painful ... is that right?? Kinda round and rolley???

The Goat's are like fish hook's! You have to be careful when you pull them out out!
Oh they pierce anything. Paws and any other flesh. lol They are easy to get out, but very painful.

·
Registered
799 Posts
We have those awful plants here as well I think they are called hitchhikers my horses tail used to get full of them and very hard to brush out! We also have another plant that has seed pods that look like triangles they stick all over socks too fortunately none of those thing have gotten in my dogs feet or hair. We have the ever evil stinging nettles too boy do they hurt! So I am ever careful when I have the dogs out they don't get into any of those. We like walking the woods trails in summer where its a little cooler.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts