Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually run zoey with my bmx bike each night. We usually go about 4 miles, the leash being tight most of the time (depending on how much activity shes had that day).

Winter is starting to hit and I dont think cruising the icy sidewalk with my bike at Mach Zoey is gonna fly.

I'm interested in what you all do for winter excercise? Zoey has alot of energy, when its gross out we usually do some indoor training, hide-n-go-seek type fun (in an apartment there's only so much you can do), toss the ball down the short hallway we have. I can still bring her to the dog park and play frizbee outside our apartment but she can do that for an hour and not flinch.

My boss cross country skis and suggested skijoring. Which for those of you like me who didnt know, its basically crosscountry skiing while wearing a harness on both the person and dog, with a semi-elastic pulling line in between. You both share the workout and apparently there are events for this! My goal isn't competition, but rather a good outlet for Zoey's energy.

Any feedback is appreciated!
-Harrison

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
We pretty much do the same activities that we do in the warm months - hiking (snowshoeing), jogging, walking, playing in they yard. These things tire her out more in the winter since she usually has to tromp through pretty deep snow whenever we go out to do something. She requires some heavier duty clothing in the winter, but otherwise she does just fine with all the activities outside.

I haven't tried skijoring with her because she is deaf, so she wouldn't be able to gauge how far (or close) I am to her on my skis when I'm behind her. I have tried taking her cross country skiing and we had trouble with her wanting to run in the track and then me hitting her from behind, haha! It was sort of a disaster. We have lots of other activities, plus she has 11 acres of fenced in property to run around in, so that seems to be enough to burn her energy. If she's really crazy then we just have one of her doggie friends over for a play date.

·
Registered
212 Posts
We plan to start taking Maggie and Winston out for x country ski days sometime soon. Before you move onto a harness, I would just ski with her on a leash first. She needs to learn not to run in your tracks and needs to learn how to avoid your skis so that she doesn't cut her feet. If she's used to running alongside your bike, then she will probably learn fast!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah right now I only run her in a harness for bike rides and let her pull. Walking we have a "gentle leader" collar/nose guide thing. For the most part she understands the difference.
Maybe once we get some thicker snow I'll rent out some skis or snowshoes and see how she does.
I'm sure she'll enjoy the snow at my parents. There's usually a 5-6 foot drift across the whole property that our dogs get to climb on and demolish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts