Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter is here! Here in Ontario anyways...and I think we've been spoiled with nice weather (not complaining!!)... Today it's just been crap out, and Duke is pouting already that we haven't been outside for a walk... What do you guys do? How to handle a depressed looking pup that whines to go outside for a walk? We play with him, but he still wants to go, he sits by his leash where it hangs and cries.. Just that reason alone is going to make for a long winter!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Hello,

We're in the same boat... we're in Ontario too (also named Duke) hehe. Duke actually goes on our treadmill LOL. And we do scent work around the house and I'll hide toys and tell him to find them. He's also been chewing more bones. A lot of brain stimulation games. He seems to be okay with it, but I wish we could go for more walks as well.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe try a shorter walk?
Make sure he doesn't get too cold.
Will he wear a coat and booties?
I've yet to get booties, but I will be, I know he needs them with the salt on the road, as for jacket he has one, but he refuses to move forward, just stands there.. Suppose he will just have to get use to it if he wants to go out in this nasty stuff..

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello,

We're in the same boat... we're in Ontario too (also named Duke) hehe. Duke actually goes on our treadmill LOL. And we do scent work around the house and I'll hide toys and tell him to find them. He's also been chewing more bones. A lot of brain stimulation games. He seems to be okay with it, but I wish we could go for more walks as well.
What other kind of brain games do you do? I sometimes will have him lay down and stay, while I go hide in the house... Thanks for he ideas.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Charlie hates the snow and cold! Can't say as I blame him. ;)
We do shorter walks and indoor games. I hide tiny treats all over the house, while he sits in the kitchen. I then tell him to go find the cookies! It's so much fun watching him.
I also will toss his ball from the the the top of the second level stairs and have him bring it back. A few trips up and the down the stairs and he's pooped!

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Well here it is 33 degree F, thats cold for us, but it is suppose to be sunny and the temperature should rise to 60 F. Kai will wear his coat as we are all use to the warm weather. In the summer we have to do our walks early or late because of the heat. I think I'd rather be warm, LOL. Kai also has boots, when he first starts out he walks like a prancing gaited horse, the after about 5 min he forgets and walks normal. I really don't think he needs boots here but thats my daughter and he is hers.

·
Registered
273 Posts
It was 12 this morning! No walk, and Uhtred doesn't mind. When he has to go to the bathroom he runs outside, does his business as fast as he can and runs back in!
He isn't a big fan of his jacket either but he's getting used to it.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
It was 12 this morning!

brr....no not for me. I actually grew up in NY , with snow and cold temperatures. while I miss newly fallen fresh snow..hmm no I have acclimated to the warm hot humid South Louisiana.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep this jacket isn't going well, it fits him, but he will not move,he looks pained and terribly mad at me. Lol I know his neither.. And his going to need to suck it up, it's 12 here too, feels like 4 degrees, not nice!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yep this jacket isn't going well, it fits him, but he will not move,he looks pained and terribly mad at me. Lol I know his neither.. And his going to need to suck it up, it's 12 here too, feels like 4 degrees, not nice!
Lol....oh geez. Charlie doesn't mind his jacket. But the boots. Totally different story.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts