Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally broke down and took a sample of his doodoo to the vet and there was nothing remarkable about it.  Slightly high levels of bacteria but nothing significant.  We are going to try some Metronidazole for the next week and see if we can finally zap this three month long diarrhea fest.

Aside from firming up the stools, does anyone know any other side effects of the med or possible interactions I should be aware of?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah was on that for a week after she got runny poo from drinking standing water (at least that is what the vet thought may have caused it).  She did not have any side effects and it started clearing up in a few days.  She has been fine since.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Here is what I found on the metronidazole.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Rx_Info_S ... dazole.pdf

This is probably an obvious question but have you tried changing Ringer's food? It took me trying about 3 different types of food before Maddie had a solid poop. The Metronidazole may firm up Ringer's poop but what will happen when he stops taking it?
I hope you find the cause of his diarreah, 3 months of that can't be fun!

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
i was thinking the same..didnt you change his food a little bit ago?...we went through some of the top expensive foods..to find that both dogs couldnt tolerate them..ended up staying with nutro natural lamb and rice and adding my own veggies,meat and egg...was easier than playing the guessing game lol

good luck ..glad its nothing serious :)

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Glad you've decided on the meds - it helped Sophie's problem almost immediately - that and not giving her any table foods and stopping the canned food!!! Good luck to Ringer and you - diarreah's no fun for either of you.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've switched his food twice now.  After the switch to wilderness blend was complete for about three weeks, it came back and he has a couple good poops and then a couple nasty ones.  I'm guessing it is more stress than anything else but hoping that there is a small amount of bad bacteria that keeps bringing this back.  Hoping that the meds will kill it once and for all.  In another month my stress levels will decrease significantly and my insomnia will subside some so Ringer will probably start sleeping through the night which may help him a bit too.
Who knows.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Good luck Ringer. Hope the meds clear up the loose stools for him quickly. Sadie had no side effects from those meds. Keep us updated Dan.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
No doubt Ringer is picking up on your anxiety, they are empaths you know...Hoping that this round of meds gets him fixed up for good tho..3 months Dan? Dang I didn't think it had been that long....Ugh

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
3 months Dan? Dang I didn't think it had been that long....Ugh
Yep.  Since the day I brought him home.  I'm so glad there was only one poopy accident in the house; It was a bear to clean up.  Scooping the yard isn't much fun either.  :puke:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts