Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i took my boxer in for another vet check up. She had been diagnosed with mange the type that gets transfered from mom to pup dont remember what its called there's different types. They  had givin her two shots for it and a dip supposed to give her 6 shots one every two weeks until its gone... They also told me i have to spay her because of it... You guys really think her pups will have a big affect if i breed her or it depends... I'm curious cuz i wanted to breed her but now dont think i should. they also said the mange could come back when she gets in heat... Shes 7months What are everyones suggestions... :roll:  :roll:

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Yes they most likely will and IMO she needs to be fixed.   Not even worth the chance IMO to even try to breed and hoping that you luck out.   Any gamble is not worth putting any pup thru.  Also there are other things that you need to consider before deciding to breed - numerous health testing and evaluations to make sure the dog should even be bred.

My dog was placed as a pup pet with a spay neuter due to the fact her mouth was not correct.   Narrow and a bit undershot.  Now if people were saying no to breeding for that, then a case of DM would have been spayed immediately.

Go with your heart and gut - get her fixed, allow her to enjoy a life of a pet without any worry of what she may pass on!    :wink:

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
[quote="dallas22\";p=\"111513":3b41sb3x]Ok so i took my boxer in for another vet check up. She had been diagnosed with mange the type that gets transfered from mom to pup dont remember what its called there's different types. They

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeahh i think im gonna have too  :roll: Thats wha tthe doc said.. that it will get tranferred to her pups and they will have it and when it starts to occur some people might give her away or take her to a shelter cuz of the expense... that sux..

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I was also contact the breeder where you got her from - just because she/he should know what their pups are passing on and have the bitch spayed to stop any more pups becoming infected.

Good Luck and IMO making the correct decision!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
if you are providing any kind of health guarantee with your pups, which most buyers want, you will be the one paying for the treatments for all the puppies that come up with it and the fact that your dog has a documented case of it only means that youre more liable for health care costs for her puppies because you cant just turn around and say "my dog has never had it so it must have come from xyz". The fact it was transferred from the mother will be VERY obvious. Best thing is to spay and leave the breeding up to people that have more knowledge about breeding.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Spay her please!!
Remember as you add to the already over populated animal world, you are also tossing in a disease that is very unpleasant to say the least to the possible upcoming pups. There is way too much involved in breedind a quality Boxer, who has health tests, x-rays, and stud fee's ( not to mention..have you considered the cost of just the first few DAYS of these puppies lives? can you afford to do all the testing, pay someone to use their stud, and then, when those pups are 3 days old..pay an experienced vet to dock the tails, and do the dewclaws? ) Not to startle you, but the people on here who breed for quality and temperment do NOT make money..its a very concisise effort to better the breed, and this is one of those things that unfortunately will cost you a high price in the end.
Take care of your girl..even the shots and dipping is making her system weaken, and then if you stress her with breeding..well, thats just not something you want to even think about. Love her for what she is. And if you REALLY have your heart set on being involved with breeding, I would suggest start looking for a reputible breeder in your area, and ask if you can see what this entails, and the work that they put into it. ( Who knows..you might make a good friend who will let you watch the pups grow, and show you what breeding is about..)
Sorry to be up on my little soapbox about this..but I will be honest..I took 3 years of my life to find the right stud, the right breeder to work with, and ended with 2 beautiful pups that I don't regret, but it was an eye opener for me..not something I would EVER tell anyone to jump into! And no..I did not make a cent on them..they were placed in show homes in San Diego, and lived good long lives.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts