Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Dozer has been through two basic training classes. He knows the basics, but will not respond unless there is a treat involved. During classes, or with a treat in hand, he is a smart dog, and he does what he is told without a problem. However, if he happens to grab something he isn't to have, he's on the run. Unless bribed, give it, leave it, drop it are not in his vocabulary. Neither is sit, stay, come, lay down, look at me, or anything else he learned in class. So he knows them, but he won't respond. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I dunno, but Wyatt's the same way. He grabs a shoe/slipper, wash rag and it's off to the races. I usually go over to his treat container and open it and he comes running and then it's a rush to get whatever he took. He too knows sit, stay ( for the most part) and down. He won't do a sit-stay only a down-stay. While we are in classes he just lays on the floor or doesn't pay attention at all. Our trainer said to mark and treat when they follow a command but not every time. Keep them guessing...

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
We worked with treats for a long time before we weaned off no treats when giving commands. I would just keep a snack size plastic baggie with me pretty much at all times. Good Luck!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts