Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!

Got some itching issues with Zoe and looking for some info. She's scratching a lot at her ribcage and neck, not at her ears at all which are clean and cool to the touch...........
And I don't know how to put this any other way......is there an erogenous zone across their hips?? She TRIES to lick at this area a LOT and when I scratch / brush the area, and again, this is just across her back, right over the top of her hips........she arches up, drops her hindquarters and licks her lips as if in a state of ecstasy.....anyone else experience this with their boxer???

Have had her on a daily dosage of Benadryl (50mg 3 times a day) and the itching isn't stopping, so I don't think it's a food/environmental allergy or the pills would be taking care of that. Thought she might need bathing with a shampoo with a skin conditioner but one problem....she absolutely HATES baths and or water, so bathing her on a regular basis is gonna be stressful on both of us!

Any ideas, suggestions would, as alway be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

B

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I know that Liz suggests singing to them while they are taking a bath, it helps calm them.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
There are so many things that can make them itch.  It is hard sometimes to find out what it is.  I would say that I agree if the Benedryl does not help it is food/envir allergy.  The other thing is flea allergy, if by chance your dog is allergic to fleas if they get just one or two on them it can start them to scratch and nothing at home seems to help them stop.  Not saying that they even have to have fleas but even the products such as Frontline/Advantixx/Revolution a flea can still get on them it just cant stay on them....

So I would start there and see if you are seeing them.  From there maybe try a change in diet and see if that helps the skin without tearing up the stomach....There is also a pretty new product out for allergy dogs and even though it seems a little expensive in the long run it really isnt because it does seem to stop the itch.  Here is the link to it you can read about it and maybe talk to your vet....

http://www.atopica.com/

Good luck!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I don't know if it's an errogenous zone or not but there are spots on both of mine that when you scratch them really good, they go as limp as a noodle...Samson's is behind his nub, he just glazes over then starts licking his lips, Angel does the same thing... :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep.....that about describes it with Zoe.......darn thing now is EVERY time she comes to me she daintily (she IS a LADY after all) presents her backside and, that's it.......I feel like that's all I'm good for now is, uh......how can we say it a "rub on the nub?" I feel so used and dirty!!  8O

LOL

Thanks for the info  AND the laugh!

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
One of the flea treatments used to really itch Rocky.  It was the Advantix that takes care of fleas, tics, and mosquitos.  We stopped using it and the itchies went away.  What helped in the mean time was a product called Soothe.  I took Rocky to the groomer and she put soothe in the bath and he stopped itching.

Another thing may be the change in the weather.  Cold usually goes with dry.  Cold also means turning on heaters and things.  All that dry air makes for dry skin, and dry skin itches.  Maybe you can try putting a little NutriCoat in her food.  Mosturizes from the inside, out. :wink:

If a food change is what's needed, there some out there that say they help with skin and coat.  We started Henry on the Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice.  It helped so much with the skin and coat, that we were able to stop using the NutriCoat.  It costs about $1/pound here.

And Henry's "feel-good" scratch spot is along his neck between his jaw and shoulder on the right side, not the left. :lol:   He will fall over if you don't hold him up while scratching "the spot". :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts