Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this morning while on the back porch I noticed a little white thing on Bellas butt.  Went to check it out & it was alive!!
It was a small, white worm.  Should I buy a dewormer from Petsmart or call the vet. After she had a BM, I checked stool.  I saw a few little white things (looked like little specks) but none were moving around/alive.
A little history, received Bella in july from rescue, began Heartguard Plus chewables Aug 1, Demodex returned, began Mitiban dip & oral dosage of Ivermectin mixed w/ something else.  
This is 1st time I have seen this on her.
Any ideas/suggestions?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I would bring in a sample and let your vet check it out.  I had a neighbor that used that stuff you buy at Petsmart and it did nothing.  When it comes to things like that I would never buy it a Petsmart..only my vet.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'd make a trip to the vet.  Worms in stools at anytime jst doesn't sound good to me and stuff sold at pet shops doesn't get them all or in all life stages.  I'd go for the piece of mind and make a vet appt.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
If it looked like a grain of rice it was probably a tape worm. I would take her to the vet for a fecal. If it is tape worms they are pretty easy to get rid of but are usually gotten from fleas. So you might want to check Bella for those nasty little boogers also.  :wink:

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Sounds like a tapeworm to me too....You can have her checked or if they sell a product called Drontal buy it OTC it will get tapes, hooks and rounds.

Edited to add:  If you have a problem with tapeworms (of course from fleas) over and over again.  There is a product in this area that is called Iverheart Max.  It does everything Heartgaurd does (+) kills tapeworms too....Same 6 or 12 month pack.  Here it is the exact same price as Heartgard.....Just an idea if your vet carries it.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
OMG!  I saw something like that when I was picking up Lola's poop a few weeks ago.  I thought it was just little worms that came because her poop was outside for a day or two (bad mom I know) before I picked it up because I wasn't home all day and didn't know it was out there.  Anyways, NOW I'm thinking I should get a fecal exam!?!?!  What's a mom to do?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Alicia\";p=\"27203 said:
OMG!  I saw something like that when I was picking up Lola's poop a few weeks ago.  I thought it was just little worms that came because her poop was outside for a day or two (bad mom I know) before I picked it up because I wasn't home all day and didn't know it was out there.  Anyways, NOW I'm thinking I should get a fecal exam!?!?!  What's a mom to do?
Normally tapeworms pass in the first stool of the morning. You can also see them kind of hanging around on the backside or actually crawling out sometimes.  If the stool sat there for a while outside, it may not have been tapeworms they can not live outside of the body.  They will dry up and look like cream colored dried up pieces of rice.  :?

Like this....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I never knew that about tapeworms .. Thanks Sharon!!  Even tho I doubt I'll ever look at rice the same way again LOL

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
These worms were moving!  Should I bring a sample into the vet just to be safe?  I haven't seen anything on her....or crawling out!  Poor thing, now I'm going run home and check her butt!!  :lol:

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Alicia if what you saw was moving they could have also been maggots. I know....gross. But they come from flies, and you know where flies land!  8O Just go and check Lola, if you don't see anything, just keep an eye on her. Ok...now I think I have to go and read something funny or cheerful!  :p

·
Registered
948 Posts
go get drontal from the vet.. its def. tape worm.. my vet wont even do a fecal if we see worms ourselves..

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks so much for all the replies & advice.  Called the vet, 1st question did it look like rice or noodle..It was short so I guess rice.  Going to pickup meds thurs.  Bella is not on flea preventatitve right now b/c of the Mitiban dip.  

Sharon thanks for the info on Iverheart Max, I'll definitely check it out.
Alicia, good luck w/ Lola..no apologies needed.  I'm glad I'm not the only one staring at a dogs butt right now.
Keep laughing CholeBellesMommy, you maybe on butt patrol next :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts