Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed lately that Baron has been scratching a lot but Maverick has never had fleas and neither has baron. He is a long haired Himalayan and I checked his fur and didnt see any fleas. The other day I checked his back while petting him and noticed he had a few scabs in a patch on his lower back and it was worrying me. Today i saw that one of the scabby patches has been licked and looks raw..ill try to get a pic of it if ican be he isnt cooperative much. I read up on mange because i was worried but it didnt present around the head and ears and he has no hair loss as the articles i read suggested he would if it was mange. I am wondering if maybe he scratched himself to this point? is that possible? He will never allow anyone to cut his nails and has long claws but i didnt think he could do that to himself. He has a vet appointment coming up for rabies and yearly shots in a couple of weeks but im just wondering what i should do. I should mention that he is just himself eating and being lazy and hitting Maverick occasionally.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
we went through that same thing with Maui ( our siamese) ended up it was fleas...both dogs on frontline and kittys are indoor & were on another flea med...but he is allergic to fleas..and we didnt know ..it was scabbed all around his neck and back...was aweful !!!..they said all it took was a flea here and there...grrrr and we have them year round...

we switched to frontline plus changed his food and he's been fine ever since...

ii hope Baron is ok...hugs

G

·
0 Posts
Nermal had the same thing...lots of sores...like a ring around her neck...she has longer fur so we didn't see the fleas..but once we started seeing a few on the dogs, we knew...We bathed her with dishsoap for 10 minutes..we saw the fleas dying on her right away...we then put biospot on the dogs and some on the cat and her neck has totally healed and no more sores.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts