Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the boxer breed. My girlfriend and I just rescued a mix pup from a shelter. I know for a fact she is more than half boxer. She is young, the shelter said she was 12 weeks. but at her size I cant believe it. I think she may be around 8. she is only 11lbs and looks really light. can see a lot of ribs and leg bones are soooo defined. of course we are planning on the best high protein food, I want to get this adorable little one as healthy as possible as soon as possible any tips helps. thank you so much.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Congrats on the new fur baby! We'd love to see pictures. Whats his/her name? Do you know what your pup is mixed with?

I would recommend a visit to the vet first. If nothing more than to get established. Plus they may have a better assessment of your puppies weight. Even though our boy had seen a vet when with the breeder we took him just days after bringing him home.

Better food is never a bad idea. Just make sure you make the transition from what ever you are feeding now to the new food gradual. Often making a change in the food can upset the stomach. If you fur baby is already a little under weight you don't want to take the chance of weight loss and dehydration from diarrhea.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Congratulations on adopting a new pup! Yes sometimes they are under weight or a bit malnourished but slowly that will get better under your care. I would as the other poster said establish a visit with a vet first and foremost. Get a weight and a schedule of inoculations & deworming, (the vet will check to see , but its helpful if you take a tool sale with you). Not sure what the shelter was feeding but its a good idea to transition slowly. Again congratulations.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Like other posters have said, make an appointment with your vet as soon as possible.

Also if your vet says your pup is underweight, don't overcompensate by feeding her more than recommended.

Good luck, and congrats on the new pup!

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Frankly ... with a mix ...it's just gonna be a bit hard??? My Struddell was I'd say ... "freakishly Bony???" Everyone that saw her said she's skinny???

I said ... "whatever" she looks like her mom! So I did what I do ... I fed her appropriately for her age and three years or so out ... she weighted in at a solid "65 lbs" of pure muscle!

I did find a combo of canned and kibble but I gave her nowhere near what the kibbles of kibble tend to recommend??? My GSD at 116 I think the bad said 5 cups or so of kibble?? Yeah ... that's not gonna happen!

It's a grey area ... feed her what you think is "about right" ... Boxer/Mix so ... if it's not right, rest assured that if food is an issue ... she'll go over to the food dish and slap it around!! Kinda like uh ... we have an issue here. :)

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I am new to the boxer breed. My girlfriend and I just rescued a mix pup from a shelter. I know for a fact she is more than half boxer. She is young, the shelter said she was 12 weeks. but at her size I cant believe it. I think she may be around 8. she is only 11lbs and looks really light. can see a lot of ribs and leg bones are soooo defined. of course we are planning on the best high protein food, I want to get this adorable little one as healthy as possible as soon as possible any tips helps. thank you so much.
Oh ... pictures please. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts