Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone i'm new here just want to learn more about boxers as i might get one sometime in the future. I plan on taking a dog on a daily walk for an hour to hour an half with most of the walk off lead runing and swimming if it wants too. The dog will be mostly outside as were outside almost all day everyday, But it will get to come inside for a couple of hours at night then put outside to sleep. We have a moderate climate here but if it gets cold i will put a coat on the dog. Also the dog will have a kennel that is under cover and out of any wind. Also the kennel will be facing inwards towards the back door so the dog will see us all the time. I plan on feeding supercoat and beef or chicken mince the dog will also get beef or chicken bones.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Boxers really do best when they can be inside, and with their people.  They are a very people oriented dog, and require MASS AMOUNTS of time spent with them.  I am always with my boxer no matter where I go, and that is what really builds the bond, as well as keep the dog happy, because if they aren't being entertained, they have a tendency to destroy everything in sight.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Keeping a boxer outside when you are not there is not recommended. They get VERY lonely and needy. They are generally not very independent and need to be with you at all times-that is what makes them so lovable.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so i guess the boxer breed isn't good for me i live with my parents so they don't want a big dog inside all the time they don't mind if its for a couple of hours at night. I guess i'll just have to keep searching. i know the rhodesian ridgeback is a more independent breed. Mayby they might suit me better. I'll have to do a bit more reading up i think on dog breeds.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would have to agree with everyone else.  It sounds like you can provide your dog with alot of exercise which is great, however a boxer would not do well outside.  I tried leaving Spinx alone in my room today uncrated and he tore up my carpet around the door in an attempt to tunnel under the door.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I agree outside would not be good.  If we leave Rocky in the backyard and run down to the store he jumps the fence.  He only stays back there if we are at home.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
First of all, a big kudos to you for doing your research before aquiring any dog! :clap: Many boxers end up in rescues or shelters because their families did little to no research and were not aware of the needs or what it takes to own a boxer. The truth is that this is not a breed for everyone. In fact, they can be a nightmare for someone who has no clue about the breed!  :lol:  They are a very "in your face" breed and constant shadows. They are absolutely dependant upon the companionship of their families. This is not a dog to be left alone unattended for hours on end. They MUST live indoors with their families. So,,,if the dog must sleep outside at night, then no, this is not the breed for you. Again, I commend you for doing your research before acquiring any dog, and good luck on your search!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I think it is wonderful too that you are doing research before you purchase a dog.  I agree with everyone else that Boxers are dogs that need to be with their families and are not outside dogs.  Good luck in finding the perfect breed for you.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think it's great you're taking the time to research the breed and ask questions.  I do have to agree with everyone else though.  Boxers do not do well outside - moderate climate or not - they are needy.  They need to be with their people and because of the short muzzle and coat, they have to be kept inside.  Good luck in your search!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts