Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay...I am wanting to know some of your opinions.  I have had people tell me when they were raising their dogs that when the dog would pee in the house they would rub their nose in it.  These are nice people and my friends and would never consider them "dog beeters", but on the other side of the fence I have had some of my other friends say that they did not do that.  When Chloe has done it in the house I have put her nose by the poop (never in it) and gave her a quick smack on her bum telling her bad girl, and I have rubbed her nose in pee acouple times.  Do I want to raise my dog right...YES.  Do I feel bad doing that...YES.  I would really like to hear from  you and see what you think and please don't think of me as a bad pet owner because I praise the hell out of her when she does right.

·
Registered
780 Posts
We have done it a couple of times with ours, just put their nose where they just went and tell them NO or BAD.  We really haven't had much trouble with training ours because I am home most of the time and if I am not then my children are since we homeschool.  It hasn't been much of an issue for us because our babies have trained very quickly in the potty area!

I am sure you will get lots of opinions on this, but like alot of things it all boils down to how things work with your particular dog because they are all different.  As long as you are not beating the dog or shoving it into the area all the time I don't think you are hurting your dog.  A couple of times to let them know that what they did is wrong and get them out side to the right place to do their business.  Lots of praise when they go outside and even more when they tell you they need to go out.

·
Registered
627 Posts
My mother did that a couple times with my previous dogs, but to be honest with you I don't think it works.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Im with Roxy and Astros mom on this! I dont think rubbing their nose in it helps! I cant remember exactly the time span but if you dont catch them in the act their really isnt use in yelling at them because they dont even know what they are getting yelled at for!

All I did with Roxy was pick her up and take her outside not a word was said until she went outside then I praised the heck out of her :)  

I also heard yelling at the "mess" works but I have NO experience with that lol It was just something I heard people were doing and some had success with it ?!?!?!?!?!  :D  Sounds a little crazy but hey whatever works :wink:

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
If I remember correctly from another post.....your pup is only 15 weeks old! Give her time! Roxy wasnt fully potty trained until around 6-7 months old and she still had a few accidents here and there until she was 1!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I believe that if you put a dog's nose in their urine or by their feces if they mess in the house, especially if you didn't catch them in the act, then they are going to learn not to go to the bathroom in front of you.  Then they will constantly do it behind your back.
Yes, exactly.  They'll also learn that you are unpredictable, unreliable, and untrustworthy.  If you catch her in the act, interrupt her, take her outside to finish, and praise like crazy while she's going (with a very special yummy treat just as she finishes).  If you don't catch her in the act, you're not watching her closely enough - this is where a rolled newspaper comes in handy, to beat yourself about the head saying "I will watch my puppy more closely, I will watch my puppy more closely". ;)  If you're really having trouble keeping tabs on her, try the 'umbilical cord' method - have her on a collar and leash, attached to your waist; she can't sneak off to potty, and you're forced to keep aware of where she is and what she's doing.  Here's a good article on housetraining:
'http://www.pawsitivesolutions.net/puppyhood/housetra.html

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Lol Newcastle, you summed it up very well...After it's all said and done, you are dealing with a baby, it's up to us to teach them wrong from right...Marq & I differ in our approach, I have never rubbed Angel's nose in her accidents(yes, she still has them), IF I manage to catch her, I quickly say "no", grab her by the collar and outside we go, Marq feels that the rubbing their nose in it works..When they get to a certain age, even tho they make a mistake, they know that it was wrong and to me that is sufficient. So I grab the towels & the Nature's Miracle and clean it up..

Here's an interesting approach you may try, I got this from a friend with 2 boxers and has done foster work...She punishes the offending item, in other words, if you are cleaning up an accident, tell the pee or poo "bad"..If something has been chewed, go after it rather than the dog..It may sound crazy, but she has had great results  :) The key to the whole thing is make sure you aren't directly looking at your boxer, address everything to the item....I tried it with a shoe, felt kinda silly, but it worked! Angel was watching me and had the strangest look on her face. She has never touched a shoe again...

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Diesel is having less and less accidents every day. I've caught on to his clues that he has to go out. He'll walk in front of me, and keep turning around like 'Are you still with me?' and he'll walk to the back door.

But when he does have an accident, I'll scream, like a girly 'AAHH!'  Which makes him stop what he's doing out of confusion lol.  then we'll head outside.

I need to try the yelling at the shoe thing, because he keeps trying to play with my daughter's shoes. and me giving him a guilt trip about it doesn't work.  I'll say 'Oh no' in a very sad voice, and he'll put his little head down and act sad for a minute...then go get another shoe. lol

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Well after reasing all the post replys....I have to say that I agree with what has already been said.  I dont think punishment after the fact works either.  If I catch them doing it then, I will say no and go with her outside.

I agree that rubbing the nose in it later is confusing to them and they dont learn from that.  After you do that...well then they want to come kiss you and you have a smushy face boxer who just had poop or pee smeared on thier face earlier in the day  :lol:

I also have heard of yelling at the poop or pee and that it works, but will admit never tried it.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Tips from a Dog Trainer:

Dogs don't make the connection between the bad behavior that they have already done (ie: accident in the house) and having their nose rubbed in it after the fact.  If they have already had an accident, just clean it up.  If you "rub their nose it it" and tell them NO or BAD after the fact, they're just going to think you are mad at them.  This is just how dogs think.  They live in the now, not in the ten minutes ago!!!

The way to nip the "accident in the house" issue in the bud is to catch them in the act (saying, "NO!" and using whatever term you use for going potty outside), remove them to the appropriate relief area, and clean it up.  Also, you should use a good pet odor cleaner to remove the smell of the accident from the area.  If they can smell it, they may use the area again.  I recommend using a vinegar and warm water solution after using a carpet cleaner or mopping.  It's cheap and still gets the job done.

A good thing to remember:

If it makes you feel bad or guilty during or after you have done it, then it was probably not the right thing to do and you shouldn't do it again.  Also, if it isn't broke then don't try to fix it, but if it aint working, try to find a way to fix it.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have rubbed the boys noses into it almost but never in it. And i have spanked them after doing that as well. But i agree it doesnt really work. Over time they will stop using it in your house. Just look for the signs if they need to use it. Like walking around in circles, sniffing around, and when you take them out tell them its time to " Potty Time Lets Go Outside" thats what i do with mine.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Two thoughts...
1. We had a very difficult time with Abby. Despite following the  "rules" to a "T," she just was not picking up on it. Knowing that she was extremely sensitive to discipline, we tried a new tactic: when she started to go inside, we would pick her up, turn her around to look at it (never rubbed her nose in it, just put her close to it so she got a whiff of it) and told her no.
Well, no matter how much you watch your dog, you will miss things. You cannot feasibly watch your dog every moment, even tied to the waist. I popped open the shower curtain to check on her (I kept her in the bathroom with me so I could watch) within a couple days after we started the method I just described...and there she is..."hiding the evidence"  (eating her poop). She caught on very quickly that she would be in trouble for pooping and decided to just hide it from us. So for us, this method backfired big time. Of course, every dog is different and while it may work for some, it sure didn't for us. So we quickly returned to our previous ways of not yelling, just scooping her up and bringing her out...but the damage had already been down and it took about 8 weeks worth of double doses of Deter and every other "cure" to get her to stop eating her poop--she would go in her crate when we were gone and eat it  and she was always drawn to it outside...fortunately, we leash walk her, so when she tried to approach it, we pulled her away and said NO! Unfortunately, once they start, it can become almost addictive to them, plus now she realizes she doesn't have to live with it even if she goes in her crate. I think we have gotten over this hump now. But it just added more complications to her house training than what it was worth.

2. Regarding yelling at the object...I never heard this, but it makes me wonder. Abby and Brady protect each other when it comes to getting in trouble. Abby knows Brady is in trouble when he's chewing on soemthing and I say "NO!" She actually goes over, sometimes paws at him and most of the time, takes the object from him and either brings it to me or runs across the room and puts it somewhere. It's comical. She also tackles him when he is jumping at the vacuum cleaner.  Brady paws Abby in the face when she is talking back at me or excessively barking...they are clearly sensitive to things that cause each other to get in trouble so I could see how this may work with objects too. I may try that myself!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Sadie is 13 weeks and she's had 1 accident inside in the past 2 to 3 weeks.  I think having another dog around (Charlie) has helped tremendously.  She goes to the door, alot of times she doesn't wimper she'll just sit there.  You gotta watch them constantly!  When training both, I put there nose near it, give them a little spank and tell them no.  Then I take them outside to see if they need to finish up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts