Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boxer question

I am sorry to pick you randomly but I have a question for you regarding Boxers. See I have had quite a few interactions with boxers and a good friend of mine is a proud boxer owner as well. With him being a friend his opinion, to me is bias. My dilemma is, I really would love to adopt and care for a boxer. I do however, live in a condo. it is 1,200 sq ft so some room for play. There also is a huge "natural park" right across the street where he/she could play, run walk etc... 1-2 times per day. There is also a HUGE Dog park 20 minutes away, that I would be willing to visit once a week. I am also 15 minutes from work and can go home during my lunch hours. I have heard so many mixed reviews about Boxers being good apartment dogs or not. And always hear, "they are fine as long as they get enough exercise". My problem is I am stubborn, and I don't want my stubbornness to make such a beautiful dog unhappy. With that being said, In your opinion as a boxer owner, would this be sufficient?

Again, I am terribly sorry to bother you and pick you out at random off the forums. Any guidance would be greatly and deeply appreciated.

Best regards,
Brian

·
Registered
302 Posts
Re: New Forums Added

Excuse me for butting-in, but I would say you could do well with a Boxer... these dogs don't make for good outdoor dogs, though they do need "run-around" time.

A largish apartment should be fine for a Boxers needs, so long as you can get him out enough for exercise and you're able to have a properly house-trained dog.

I think a person such as yourself would be a fine candidate to adopt a Boxer, just do realize they can have high-energy spurts and will need to run around from time to time.  So long as he's not stuck in a 500sq-foot 1-bedroom apartment, and you can get him out as you say you can, you should be fine!

Remember... Boxers are "human-needy"... they love being close to their human family, so despite the common thoughts of larger dogs needing to be in a large yard, the Boxer is just fine snuggling up with you at home on the couch indoors... (so long as he can stretch his legs every now and then!).

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i live in a 1500sqft townhouse- and i have two boxers :) i do have a small backyard that helps with my girls. We take them to the dog park every saturday and we often take them to the closed in soccer field once a day-in addition to walks and such. As odins dad said-boxers are indoor dogs and  need to be with their humans. I think you would do wonderfully with a boxer. keep us posted on what you decide.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
First off I have to commend you for asking questions...If more people did that, you wouldn't see so many boxers in shelters...I know a lot of people that have boxers and live in an apartment, townhouse or condo..They do fine..Yes, they do need the exercise, but if you have a park near you, that is perfect. Or for that matter a simple walk around your complex will do. Boxers are "human needy", they are not outside dogs. Their coats are not equipped for that..You leave a boxer outside all day with no companionship and you end up with a very unhappy, destructive boxer!!! Mine would much prefer to be whereever I am, be it inside or out...Yes, a yard is nice, but it isn't essential..

All your boxer wants from you is love, he doesn't care if it's in a house or an apartment...So if you are considering one, I recomend checking to see if you have a boxer rescue close to you..They take in boxers that have been abandoned by their owners, or surrendered..Most are over a year old, have had some house breaking and obedience. I think that would be a great option for you..As 2 of my 4 boxers are rescue, I am a huge supporter of giving one of these babies a forever home...

If you have any other questions or just need some advice, feel free to ask, that's what we are here for... :)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I live in a duplex and just adopted Kiah (8 months); it does have a back yard but not fenced so she is always on leash in the backyard with me.  We walk everyday (and meet some wonderful people), have play dates with other dogs in a fenced in area, and we go to obdience classes once a week.  I joined a Boxer meetup group and there is a dog park in town that we are going to join plus she has a lot of toys to keep her occupied in the house.  Kiah is also crate trained and crated while I am at work.

Kiah is adjusting well and seems to be very happy (I hope).  My biggest concern was that she have enough socialization with other dogs and people.  I definately didn't have to worry about that.

I think you would do fine.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I agree with what the others have said.  It sounds like you have thought things out and that with your larger condo and park area near you have a good set up for them.  If you are going the rescue route you might want to look for an older boxer 5-6 years old who still has alot of play in them but also doesn't mind spending some time sleeping the day away while you are gone.   Plus alot of the older boxers get looked over for young ones in rescue.  Good luck!  

Our boxers don't mind being in the house at all, they amuse themselves with the toys and run and play in the house if they aren't able to get out.... one actually hates to get her feet wet in the grass and will refuse to get off the steps if it is raining or too wet for her!  She would love condo living!  :D

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is what I was hoping to hear!  I have been checking the HOBO rescue but there is rarely any in the area. And from what i have read the resuces will not accept me as I have no fenced backyard :cry:

I will be onthis forum quite a bit and thank you all for your say in this matter. Once I get my sweetie, I will send my pics. (maybe be a month or two)

Again, thaks

miz

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Mizorie\";p=\"11327 said:
And from what i have read the resuces will not accept me as I have no fenced backyard :cry:
Now....Now...   :roll:  It all depends on the rescue and your individual situation. I was approved by a rescue and I don't have a fenced in backyard. To me your environment for a boxer sounds ideal. As long as they get plenty of fresh air and exercise everyday, and you are willing to leave work and go home for potty breaks, that sounds pretty good to me.
I would fill out an application from your local boxer rescue, even if there is not a boxer that you are interested in at the moment. You can have your application  filled out and your home visit done and become an approved applicant and then just wait until your perfect match comes in and just take him home!  :)  Good luck in your search.  :wink:

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
My application was approved even though I do not have a fenced back yard.  The limitations are usually dog specific not as much owner specific.  If a dog does not do well with small children they won't place the dog with small children, with deaf dogs they prefer placing them with someone who has a hearing dog, etc.  They just try to make a match that works out best for everyone.

I had a great experience with our rescue group.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
most of the States do not have that requirement and if they do there are usually exceptions in special circumstances. However ho-bo care is the only rescue I can seem to find in Colorado, and this is what they said,
"All homes are required to have a fenced-in yard -- in most cases we look for a 6 foot high fence. An electronic or "invisible"fence is not adequate and does not qualify in our requirements. Although there is the occasional exception, most Boxers, due to their tremendous activity level, are perfectly capable of jumping a fence any lower than six feet. It is part of our regulations that we do not place dogs in apartments or in homes without a fenced yard. "

I did still fill out an app so hopefully, soon. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
wow that's really a shame. I can understand the fence issue especially for a rescue ( a lot of rescues do run), but I would think they would do their apps on a case by case basis. If a dog really wants out, even a 6 foot fence won't keep them in.  :?

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have never lived where we didn't have a yard, but to discriminate and not accept a possible new GREAT boxer owner over a yard is ridiculous.. There are many other GREAT outlets to releasing energy then letting your dog run around in a yard.. Quite honestly, besides some fetching, Toby doesn't really release any energy in our yard (and its HUGE).. So, I usually go hiking or swimming.. I think an active home is better than a lazy home where someone can just let their dogs out in the back yard and run the risk of them being stolen...

Check out Petfinder.com..

Here are a few in CO.. I don't know your exact location though... They might be worth checking out.. Don't limit your location to just Colorado either! A lot of rescues do transportations!

Nash
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/dis ... id=8165956

Chance
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/dis ... id=8527973

"Dog" (no name...  :cry: )
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/dis ... id=8560624

·
Registered
214 Posts
???????? what????? I have so much land that it isnt funny. Tyson would much rather be inside with me than outside by himself. I never let him out unless im there. HES A BOXER they LOVE people. they do need their excersize, lots of it, but our excersize is running around the block or swimming, or wrestling inside, backyard is mostly for potty lol. Thats terrible, i see commercials that say to adopt all the time, how can you if your not perfect???? Sorry to hear about your judgmental expierence, and I know nothing about adopting, but there are a lot of people here that do, that could probably connect you with a better expierence. Good luck! Sounds like you will make a great parent!!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:D

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Congratulations, she is a cutie.  What is her name?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
OMG she is adorable! I am so glad that you found a rescue that would let you take her even without a backyard and she looks so young!! Congrats

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have to give her a name??? 8O

Heh, Well I am tossing up two names and probably will not decide until she gets home. But, your opinions do matter. So here are the two names I am really considering

Inez- Full blooded, flawless
or
Alma-Full of fire and spirit.

I like Alma more but I think they are both beautiful names. :?:

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Alma is my favorite   :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I vote for Alma, that is lovely...Congrats to you..I know you are excited....Time to start preparing for her LOL...That means lots of toys of course...Feel free to ask as many questions as you need & I am soo glad that you were able to adopt without having a fenced yard. The boxer rescue here pretty much wont  :(

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Alma for me...There are also some lovely Irish name that are strong female names with great meaning...

Liz and Lilly

1 - 20 of 20 Posts