Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am looking into getting a Boxer puppy. I have been around dogs all my life, including much time volunteered at the humane society.  I have not owned a dog in the last three years due to enlisting in the military.  My life has slowed down a bit and I am transitioning into an apartment of upwards of 600 sq ft.  I also work shift work of 2 days (7-3) then two swings (3-11) and finish with two days off.  I am single, therefore the dog would be alone while I am at work.

My question for you all is if this would be the right breed of dog for me.  I have wanted a boxer all my life but I am worried that the dog could be unhappy living in a small household.  In the past,  I have enjoyed taking my dogs to parks nearly daily to run around and just interact with other dogs.

Any help would be great appreciated.  I do not want to make a mistake and have my dog be miserable.  Also, I could never imagine getting rid of a dog that has lived with me if it were to not work out.  I tend to get attached to my pets and could never part with them.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Pat

·
Registered
462 Posts
My two cents...

Boxers love to exercise and run. They also LOVE human interaction and they hate to be alone...Theres a great bunch here so Im sure you will get some great advice!

Good luck with whatever you do... :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
EASY get 2 (or3!:lol:) I work 40-50hrs a week, so does my fiance. So we spend as much time as possible w/ the 'kids', but they also have each other when we are at work. I think they really enjoy each other. When we had Xan he was lonely, and I decided to get Bailey as a companion. Bama was added later to complete the trio :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would love two dogs!

But with an apartment I think i would be pushing it with two dogs.  I might have to save that for when the house comes.  You should not have put the thought in my head i could manage two  :lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Maybe a Boxer and a smaller dog. I rescue and I have had Shih-Tzus (2) come thru and they are great w/ Boxers :wink:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I know a lot of people that live in apts & townhouses and also work full time..Their boxers do great..Yes, you do need to get those walks in and going to the park is wonderful, but they can do fine in a smaller enviroment...If you haven't been around boxers at all I would recomend finding a boxer rescue near you and talk to them about adopting..For the most part their dogs are pretty much house broken, some have basic training, but for a first time owner, it may be the way to go..Ask them if you can go interact with their boxers a bit so you can see what you are in for....Lol....Just kidding...Boxers are very social creatures and they definitely do love to be with their skin peeps, but they do adapt. I found when I was working, at the end of the day I rushed home just to be with mine..I'm all for having 2, they keep each other company, but I can understand why it wouldn't be feasible for you....

Let us know what you decide....And feel free to ask any questions you have...

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
my boyfriend and i both work we leave our apartment at 7:30 and he gets home at 5:30... sometimes later depending on the trains... and Jessie is not in the crate all day, we keep the living room and bedroom blocked off, so all she has is the kitchen... and she does great with that... and our apartment is really small... we take her for some long walks and we have a large field across the street that she runs around on....   but its totally doable..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts