Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I asked the vet what else I could do for flea / tick prevention besides using Advantix.  He asked why... and I told him there is this great park by the house that I love taking the pups to (I've been taking them since Nov when I got them as puppies) and that last time we went there I did my usual "tick pat down" and found 3 ticks! (2 on Damien and 1 on Jasmine).  

When Jasmine was about 3 months old she had a tick attached to the top of her head and it totally freaked me out (I'm from Ft Lauderdale, FL and never really dealt w/ these crazy ticks they have up North in MD).  

Well it turns out I was using the Advantix totally wrong... I was only putting a small drop 3x on each pup (not using the whole tube).  The dang tube lasted me like 3 months  :lol:

Okay so getting to the point (sorry) I just used a tube on each dog (the correct way) and they have huge greasy spots on their backs  8O . 1) How long do I have to keep my eye on them to make sure they don't lick at it? and 2) Will the greasy-ness go away? (and how long if / till it does?)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
When I do it to my dogs I will seperate the dogs in different rooms for a good hour or two...  Depends on how long or short the line you did.

That reminds me to buy more Frontline tomorrow....

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yea the Oil slick will go away. I think in a few hours -a day max; I think.. And eventaully they should forget about it and not want to lick each other.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
LOL!!! thats funny!

If you put it in the right spot on the back of their head between the shoulders they cant reach it... so you shouldnt have to worry about them licking it

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
If I remember correctly from using the Advantix last summer you are supposed to distribute the contents of the tube all along the spine of the dog not just at the nape of their neck - were you applying it that way before?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DM_Boxers\";p=\"123357 said:
Its not about licking themselves as it is licking each other right?
Thanks for all the quick responses! Yeah I am worried about them licking each other...

I did several "spots" along their backs (like 3-4)... was I supposed to do only 1?

*** Also... do your dogs act sluggish after you apply it? My two usually get a little calmer and mello but today they are damn near comatosed  8O

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
You are suppose to go 3 to 4 spots down the back....or nap of neck, middle of back and above base of behind......it takes about 1 hour to be absorbed and they are okay to lick themselves or each other and the grease spot goes away within the day you put it on...it can make the hair feel coarse the day after....just brush it if it bugs you once it is dry.....sometimes it will make them sleepy the first day you use it and it can also make them scratch the first day.....Day 2 all should be well........

Frontline is only applied in one spot on the nape of the neck.......same info on drying time and oily spot with it.......

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Whatever you do...do not use Sentry.  That is the worst flee control ever.  My brother had one extra that he didnt need due to his weimaraner weighed too much, so he said I could have it.  AJax fit into the weight limit so I put it on him.  To make the story short, it left a nice burn mark on him and ended up having to pull the hair out around where the burn was.  But now hair is regrowing and he is doing great with the friends of the family.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks SharonL!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts