Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I am feeling sick...they didn't find anything wrong with his Thyroid...they are calling this epilepsi...but, that isn't all...he had elevated levels of enzymes from his liver...enough to warrant a change in diet, a 10 day course of antibiotics and putting him on a nutritional supplement called "Lipovet"...she said that his levels weren't quite high enough to warrant a biopsy at this point...but, we are to go back in 3-4 weeks to monitor his blood levels...Because of the liver function issues, they don't want to put him on epilepsy meds...as those can damage the liver further...

I feel like throwing up. I so did not expect this...it never occured to me that anything else could be wrong...my poor little boy...I haven't even told Kelly yet, he's still at work...he will be SO upset...wow...

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Oh Jeanene I am so sorry you didn't get better news, but hopefully Sharon can shed some more light on exactly what this means.  In the meantime we'll keep Mic in our prayers.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
OMG! Jeanene, I'm SO SORRY!  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry: How gut wrenching that must feel... I could only imagine. Having to tell Kelly is the even harder part I'm sure. We are here for you and him!! You are in our thoughts! Odin sends "boxer :-*  :-* kisses" your way.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys...I'm still just sitting here waiting to talk to Kelly and trying to figure out if this food the vet recommended is REALLY best for him...I have him on Merricks...which is the best I have found...highest grade in the "Grade your dog food" post...she wants to put him on Purina NF...PURINA!?!?!?  I guess it's supposed to be easier for his liver to process...

To think we were just discussing "Health warranties"...the vet says "it could be congenital you could contact the breeder" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Like I would give him back! And that is about the only option she will offer that I know of...there is NO way...we'll just deal with it.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
oh sweetie i am so sorry :( :cry:  :cry: maybe Sharon can shed some light on things for ya? jeez i am just ,wow...

i am here for you anytime day or night..you know this already but jsut a reminder..

big xoxo's to Mic..:( we wuffffffff you Micster..xoxoxoxoxoxo

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
So sorry the news is not good about Mic.  Praying that the combination of food, meds, and supplement turn things around for Mic and he does better.

When Kiah was having so many problems on food, I contacted a local breeder (shows her dogs and working with Boxers for almost 20 years) she suggested Purina Selects Natural Salmon and brown rice.  When I asked her about Merricks, she said she did not like it as she thought it was too high in protein and not good for the kidneys.  I didn't think too much about it because I new that several on the forum had really good luck.  I looked at the ingredients for the Purina and they were similar to the Timberwolf Salmon so that made me feel better.  I just feel that the other foods were just too rich for Kiah's sensitive tummy.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
So sorry for Mic and for you. Hopefully, with diet changes his liver enzymes will come down. With people meds can elevate enzymes - I can't remember, has he been on anything recently for the seizures?? Sending you healing vibes and well wishes.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Oh I am so sorry to hear this news. Hopefully the new food, along with meds will bring his liver enzymes down. As far as epilepsy goes, I'm not sure how similar it is to human epilepsy but it is a condition I have lived with all of my life and it is controlled with meds. I know there can be different severities, but hopefully Mic's can be regulated with meds. I can only imagine how you must feel right now, but keep your chin up hun..we are all praying for ya.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I'm sorry you didn't get better news on Mic. We'll still be praying!

·
Registered
780 Posts
So sorry for little Mic.  Hopefully they will have some more/better news when you go back in three weeks.  I know that when they started our cat on the Epilepsy meds they started on the lowest dose possible and we worked from there.  He was having about 1 to 2 seizures a month before the meds and now is down to a couple a year.  We also have to buy food from the vet for him to use.  As for the food the vet is recommending it might not be what compares to the "top" foods but if it helps your baby that is all that matters.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Oh no....I am sorry to hear this.  A friend of mine has an Italian Greyhound whose liver levels were way off.  He was having seizures.  Basically, she has been able to bring liver levels back to normal just by a change of diet.  So hopefully changing his diet will do the trick.  Keep us posted.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Jeanene, I am so very sorry to hear this and cannot imagine your frustrations....Know that we all are here for you and hoping that when you take Mic back in, thta there are some more positives results....Hugs to you and sending lots of healing vibes out to the Micster..Bless his heart, what a trooper he is.....

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
So sorry to hear this about Mic.  He'll be in my thoughts and prayers.  We're here for you guys!  Lola sends big boxer kisses!

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm so sorry. Did they test for a liver shunt? When they were diagnosong Elvis with epilepsy, they tested his liver also, b/c a shunt can cause seizures as well.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Wow...just heard from the vet about Mic(UPDATE!GOOD!)

GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I just got off the phone with Sheryl(my vet) AND I am SO GRATEFUL to Sharon(OUR SharonL) for her PM's yesterday...she observed the amount of medications that Mic has been on lately and the fact that his liver may have just been having trouble processing all of those meds fast enough...which makes the enzyme levels go up! And she is EXACTLY right! I spoke to Sheryl...told her of every med he has been on(his mitoban dip was done by our first vet...but, he isn't set up to do blood work so when Mic started having seizures, we had to go to a new vet!) and he put the dogs on an antibiotic AND a Cortizone type steroid to help with the itching...I had mentioned the different meds, but it was in a phone conversation and so not as likely to be remembered as if you were in the office saying it while they took notes on a chart!  SHE said that explains EVERYTHING...So, we are putting Mic on the Lipovet(for the Choline) which may help with the seizures...but, NO diet change and NO need for any biopsy talk! We will retest in month just to be sure his levels are back to normal...but, there is NO cause for concern at this point! YEAH!

I am SO RELIEVED...I can't tell you how I felt...when they said biopsy I thought I would throw up...I couldn't imagine hearing that he had cancer or something...

THank you all for you support and love! We needed it...

ANd THANK YOU SHARON! YOU ARE MY FAVORITE VET IN THE WORLD!LOL!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
What great news, I am so happy to hear it.  We are so lucky to have Sharon on this forum and the fact that she is willing to spend the time to help us out with our problems.

·
Registered
294 Posts
That's freaking awesome news!!!  YAY!!!!  Beckham sends a few "woo-woos" too.
Thank goodness for our Sharon, she's a life saver!!!    ^:)^  ^:)^

1 - 20 of 30 Posts