Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never owned a boxer but have been told they are extremely hyperactive, then to top it off she is mixed with rhodesian ridgeback.... will this improve, and when?
She is currently 8 months old.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I have never owned a boxer but have been told they are extremely hyperactive, then to top it off she is mixed with rhodesian ridgeback.... will this improve, and when?
She is currently 8 months old.
I've heard a bunch of people say boxers calm down around 3. I don't know exactly what that means, because I think if you are willing train and exercise your pup (physical and mental) everyday you can easily manage a puppies energy. My guy will be three soon and has the same energy level as he did when he was a pup.

In saying that, all dogs are different even from the same breed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I spend an extreme crazy amount of time exercising both mind and body she just NEVER is tired. I really need her to relax before I have no more house for her to tear up, I am becoming exhausted.....
I have owned pitbulls for 23 years but had to help her she was in a horrible situation.... emaciated + some.....

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I spend an extreme crazy amount of time exercising both mind and body she just NEVER is tired. I really need her to relax before I have no more house for her to tear up, I am becoming exhausted.....
I have owned pitbulls for 23 years but had to help her she was in a horrible situation.... emaciated + some.....
Awesome that you rescued her! Is she crate trained? Also a couple video's on here for training "place". That can be helpful in that it could be kind of an off switch for her.

I know ridgebacks can be a handful. My neighbor has one, beautiful dog but that dog doesn't listen at all. Partly their fault but also I understand hounds can be very difficult to train.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
A Boxer Rhodesian Ridgeback cross and your trying to "tire her out??" That will "never work" unless perhaps you run marathons and run 10 miles a day to train ... then maybe? :)

Lot's of folks and it is mainly the GSD crowd fall into the "exercise cures all" trap and it usually fails! Hyperactivity is "usually not the problem??" But aggression is, a dog does not need you to "exercise" but they do need you to "Walk!"

It takes three things to create proper balance to have a dog you can live easily with. You have to "Walk Them." A proper "structured walk" is how they learn ... who is charge and it helps to create a "Bond of Trust."

And of course "Exercise" is important ... but a dog does not need you to "Exercise." I fell accidently into that trap with my Oversized Working Line GSD. In NV I now had access to endless miles of "Open Desert" so why bother "Walking him???" LOL ... yeah that did not work?? So I had to fix that by "Walking him."

But that was only two sides of a "Triangle," the part I was still missing was "Training an "Off Switch." It was a "necessity" with my "formally human aggressive" GSD. "Place" allowed us to have people in our home, again! When we had guest ... I would tell him "Place." And he would go to "Place" and "Chill." And it was then my job to company out of his face, as he was not a fan of "company" ... not a Boxer. But that arrangement ... worked out just fine. :)

At any rate, I doubt what you are doing "now" isd gonna get you to where you want to be?? So most likely, you need to roll back on the "exercise" ... increase the "walks" (and if the dog drags you around on walks) that's another topic. And start training an "Off Switch" and .... as far as I am concerned ... that is done like this. :

https://www.boxerforums.com/training/183298-fearful-anxious-flat-crazy-place-command.html

And so you know ... right now it's a work in progress for me. New Dog in the house Boxer/Pit, Bella. Pig headed and stubborn ... just like my Struddell, my avatar. And while as I have said in here.:

https://www.boxerforums.com/general-boxer-forum/205492-new-dog-house-chip-beat-down-were.html

I have still not formally introduced "Place" using a "Place Cot" (elevated surface) I did introduce the "concept" early on. And she was formal "Crate Trained" when we got her. And she spent ... apparently a lot of in her "Crate" and is "Good with it."

But slaming a dog in a "Crate" to get them out of my face ... is not how I roll. So we started working on "Place" early on and she does it get!

She was a bit "hyper" when we got her ... most likely because shed not spent hours ... being free in the house with owners present?? And yeah ... sigh on any day ... I still say,
Bella out of the kitchen, Bella out of the kitchen, Bella out of the kitchen, Bella out of the kitchen, Bella out of the kitchen, sigh ... when I have finally had enough ... I say Bella "PLACE!" And point to where I want her and that is the end of it!

Right now as I type, ... she is sleeping at my feet in front of the kerosene heater. Not in "place" and not in her "crate." She is still "pig headed and stubborn" and he recall "Sucks!" And still have a couple of A Hole cat's that can be "problematic" buty right now ... five weeks in ... she is easy to live with! Cause I worked on training an off switch, out the gate!! I got that much right at any rate ... still got lot's to do.

Welcome Aboard in anycase. :)

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
First welcome to the forum. I think its great you took this girl into your home. How long have you had her? What training are you currently doing? So far why commands is she reliable at? Is she crate trained? and how much time does she spend in the crate if she is? I know lots of questions but it all helps in figuring out what to do. Have a boxer who is very laid back does not run thru the house or destroy anything but we have had him from a young pup and partly its his nature. I also have a standard poodle who i hyperactive. I have incorporated both positive and I guess non positive into his training. I've never been really big into positive training as it takes longer to get them reliable but right now I am incorporating some into my training and it seems to be helping. We shall see its early on yet. Looking forward to hearing more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She is crate trained but is only in it when I am not able to be home and to sleep at night.
I just bought a baby gate and keep her in the kitchen for now to save my house as well as my sanity.
She sits, lies down, shakes & high 5's.
I only need to get her to focus on me. I am working on the "look" command to teach her to focus only on me, so far very little to NO progress.
Letting her out of the kitchen is dreaded because it's like releasing a tornado in my house, lol.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
She is crate trained but is only in it when I am not able to be home and to sleep at night.
I just bought a baby gate and keep her in the kitchen for now to save my house as well as my sanity.
Well your kinda lucky being here "now" as regards my " recommendations." As I have a new dog in the house and I've been taken down a few pegs. :cry_baby:

This time around and as I was want to say ... as a term of derision "hand Picked Hand Raised "Prima Donna" puppies ... are easy! Or words to that effect ... that is how I started.

And my first rescue (not a hand raised puppy) but my first "GSD" sent me to hospital for stitches (breaking up Pack Fights?? I was a "Pit Bull (Derivatives thereof and Boxer guy) apparently that leaves one ill prepared to deal with a Working Line GSD??? IE ... "human aggression " and rank drive," what's that about ... live and learn. :crazyeye:

So ... with my new rescue one year old "Bella" Pit/Boxer, I got schooled ... again! But still ... there are some things, that I won't give ground on! And (that I feel) will work for you also.

And one of them is training "place" ... throwing her in "Crate" to keep her out of your hair or "force her to behave!" Pretty much teaches her nothing?? Now I will say that I am not against "Crating a Dog" ... although the fact of the matter is, well apparently I am ... but whatever. :)

Bella is "was" Crate Trained, when we got her " 6 weeks ago." But as I always suspected ... that was not gonna work for me. Now "maybe" if she's have been a "he" and had serious "People Issues" like my GSD?? I'd have rolled hard and she ...would be in that Crate, to this day?? But "PIA" that she was ... she did not have that issue?? So ... sigh when we got her .. she spent exactly "One Night" in her Crate! Now she was fine with the Crate , but me ... not so much?? "I" could not handle it, day two I slept on the couch in the living room, so I did not have to Crate her. And on day three ... she was sleeping in the bed with me .... and the "Cat's!" (nother issue their but I digress.)

Bella came from her "fourth" home and she was "Crated" when her owners were gone! And there is nothing wrong that! But that is "apparently" just not how I roll?? All my other dog's were not "Crated" and Bella ... will not be "Crated" either!

Locking a dog in the kitchen or in an Ex Pen or just throwing, them in a Crate ... while you are home ... is easy. But they ... learn nothing?? They won't progress beyond the point of "I can't tear crap up if I can't get to it!" And yep that works ... but it's not how I roll.

I don't "Crate" my dogs ... apparently, but I do "Expect" them to behave "indoors!" And while "Bella" was always "Crated" in her previous home with me ... she is not!

I broke a whole lot of "rules" with her but the one thing I was not willing do ... was to simply Crate her, to make my life simpler!

A dog learns nothing, if they can't misbehave because they are confined?? I wanted her to "understand" that she is free, indoors because she is "not" being an "A-Hole" and stuff! So pretty much on day three ... we started to work on the "Place Command!"

It does train "Calmness" into a dog. And despite her always "Crated" when owners are away history ... we can leave her home "alone" today ... and she destroys "nothing!" If you confine your dog ... "always" they never have to learn how to behave ... when you are not there or you know when you are???

Admittedly, there is a risk of property damage with that approach (free roaming dog??) But it is a "risk" I am willing to accept as it's just stuff.

Now I still have my "issues" with "Bella" ie no or slow complace with "Recall/Stay and Down" ... sigh. But we can now leave her home alone with the Cats (another issue) and when we come home ... nothing is destroyed and the cats are fine! :)

We still have a long way to go on our journey to get her to be as good as "my other dogs!" But in just 5 weeks ... she is already a much easier dog to live with!!

So much so that my wife ... sigh "annoys" the crap out of me first thing in the morning!! I train "Calmness" and she wants to ramp :Bella" up, first thing in the morning!! Kinda sorta ... ticks me off but whatever. :crazyeye:

At any rate ... see my link and start working on the "Place Command" indoors! Use a drag leash on her a short leash with no loop to get caught up on furniture. Say "Place" and if she moves you pick up the leash and take her back to "Place!" ... repeat as necessary. It will work, if you keep with the kitchen gate and the Crating ... she won't progress beyond where she is now?? I'm pretty sure of that. :)

I only need to get her to focus on me. I am working on the "look" command to teach her to focus only on me, so far very little to NO progress.
Letting her out of the kitchen is dreaded because it's like releasing a tornado in my house, lol.
Yeah, I kinda thought that was "crap???" As yet again ... I never needed it with "my other dogs." But ... "apparently" now I do?? Larry Khron for one has a video on that ... and in as much as "now," apparently I can use it. I'll find it tomorrow and post it here. :)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Have you tried using her food for training? Meaning if you feed her twice a day, you would use the kibble(if use that) in the morning or night that you would normally just put in a dog bowl to teach her to focus on you and for the "place command" or whatever training you want. It was a tip I got from another poster on here bte2, and it worked wonders for my guy with some of the more difficult thing I wanted to train with my guy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are all wonderful and I appreciate ALL the advice I began working with her today with "place" with a leash. I will lyk how it's going in a few days.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
With the "Place" thing. I wanted to say sometimes "details" get lost?? Nothing's gonna change in a day or two but most likely over the course of two weeks or so with daily training ... you will start to see a "general decrease" in the level of "indoor nuttiness."

Bella was wound up pretty tight when we got her. Most likely she'd never spent so much time out of her Crate in her life?? So within a day or two I started to work on Place, I still have not used the Place Cot, I'm kinda lazy, my bad.

In anycase she's got it. And while she does still follow me in the "off bounds" area of the kitchen" ... sigh. She will now go in the living room and wait, while I fix meals for her and the cats. I did not tell her to do that?? She is still a mooch though. And she likes to get in your face when you try and eat. I will say ... sigh, "Bella Go, Bella Go, Bella Go and finally ... Bella "Place!" And that gets her out of my face. :)

Indoors ... I only use it when I need to get something done. But generally speaking ... even though she is free to roam ... she is pretty much in the living room with me throughout the day and not being a "PIA!" :)

She did get away with "Counter Surfing" incident the other day, and it happened right under my nose! I heard a "thump" in the kitchen and thought nothing of it. I go in the kitchen afterwards and see "Bella" with her head hanging like ... she'd done something wrong?? Well odd but whatever, I see a "plastic container on the floor of "Jerky Treats" on the floor and pick up. For recycle and think nothing of it.

It was only a day or two later when I put the pieces together that I realized why the "Uh Oh" I got look! That empty container of "Beef Jerky" I picked up , should not have been empty! Yep that was the noise I heard ... she got the container off the counter aand emptied it!She got away with it. Live and learn :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you EVERYONE for the advice. Xena is doing great, she is crated ONLY when I have to go out. Best only 1 shoe has been chewed since last post. She's like a different pup.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Hmm OK well it seems like you've made great progress! But one shoe huh?? Hmmm so what happened there??

You really can't live shoes laying around and about. Although admittedly ... we do! But granted we have been been lucky and with our new dog "Bella" she does not screw with our shoes! "BUT" ... she also has a literally a laundry basket full of dog toys! It's admittedly kinda of insane! But it is we how we roll, there is pretty are pretty remnants of stuffed toys all over the living room!

But hey whatever, they are her toys and that is what they are for. She does not eat the stuffing ... and you have to keep an eye for that! So I clean up the toy stuffing! She knows "her" toys and our shoes have never been an issue??

You could try that, and if you don't have a "Crap Load" of dog toys?? And they can get kinda pricey for something a dog will ... rip to shreds! Goodwill and Thrift stores are a place to find them cheap! But ... watch what you buy! Nothing with hard plastic detachable eyes or noses! Soft toys only and you will have to watch her and make "ABSOLUTELy SURE" she is "NOT EATING THE STUFFING!!!"

If that is indeed the case ... a basketful of toys .... should be the answer to the "shoe thing??" But that aside ... what changes have you made??? I know I for one made uh "Crap loads of suggestions!" But without "feedback" we don't really know what works?? :)

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
So glad to hear the Zena is doing so much better! One shoe not bad she will learn. My pup finally leaves my shoes alone, he has a few toys to chew on when the mood strikes but I'm not a big believer that dogs must be chewing something all the time. When he would grab a shoe I would say "not yours", I think he now gets it. I really like Dentley stuffed femur bones when they need something to occupy themselves. Thanks for sharing your update.

·
Registered
23 Posts
roll up a wash cloth and soak it with water and freeze it, then you have a teething ring for a dog or a approved toy. Meaning if you dog is bitting on anything you do not approve of say firm replace with the cold wash cloth that has worked for me for 30 years!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts