Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay... so this has been driving me NUTS... I truly hope you all read the entire article... but I've cut out the MAIN POINT I'd like to get across. I'm not trying to start issues or anything... I just think some need to learn their Xian (Christian) history a little better.

http://www.cresourcei.org/symbols/xmasorigin.html

[i:3rvzxesr]In any case, by the fifteenth century Xmas emerged as a widely used symbol for Christmas. In 1436 Johannes Gutenberg invented the printing press with moveable type. In the early days of printing typesetting was done by hand and was very tedious and expensive. As a result, abbreviations were common. In religious publications, the church began to use the abbreviation C for the word "Christ" to cut down on the cost of the books and pamphlets. From there, the abbreviation moved into general use in newspapers and other publications, and "Xmas" became an accepted way of printing "Christmas" (along with the abbreviations Xian and Xianity). Even Webster

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
That is a very informative and cool article.  I saw a sign at a church here in town that had "(X-Mas) dont take Christ out of your Christmas"..  I feel that 50% of people if not more forget the real reason we celebrate anyway....One thing that has become a tradition for my family since my daughter was born is that on Christmas morning before any presents are opened we all sing happy birthday to Jesus, it just helps us all to remember and for her to learn and know it is not just about Santa and gifts......

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sharonL\";p=\"61630 said:
That is a very informative and cool article.  I saw a sign at a church here in town that had "(X-Mas) dont take Christ out of your Christmas"..  I feel that 50% of people if not more forget the real reason we celebrate anyway....One thing that has become a tradition for my family since my daughter was born is that on Christmas morning before any presents are opened we all sing happy birthday to Jesus, it just helps us all to remember and for her to learn and know it is not just about Santa and gifts......
Awhhh... that's great... we never did that but we did/do all wish Jesus happy birthday before opening presents. My parents have a beautiful painting of him over the fire place... I told him that I want it! To leave it to me in the Will. I agree though... to me people are too busy arguing over the silliest things then just celebrating and living for what you believe and what's important.

I learned that little piece of history A LONG TIME AGO and realized not too long ago... how many people don't know that "Xmas" is JUST AS religious as Christmas. Thought it would be great to share and help inform people of something I guess not many know...

Merry Christmas Sharon... I bet you've had a blast! Sarah's only 2 and I've had a blast! I know each year will ONLY GET BETTER and more fun!!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
[quote="Mastray";p="61638
Merry Christmas Sharon... I bet you've had a blast! Sarah's only 2 and I've had a blast! I know each year will ONLY GET BETTER and more fun!![/quote]

I have been awake since 4:45 this morning and we have gone non-stop all day.  Everyone has finally passed out at nine at night :).....Madison is almost 6 yrs old now and this has been one of the best one's yet....Enjoy Sarah they grow up way to fast!!!  This year was gold/earrings/necklace/rings, purse, clothes and makeup....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh where has my baby gone???  

Merry Christmas

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
:D that was gret Marie im so glad you found that and posted...the actual article..THANK YOU SWEETIE...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts