Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a question...do dogs really need yearly vaccines? why do they but people don't?  with jetta reactive to vaccines...should we do yearlies...or do only rabies?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Some folks titer test. Don't know enough to explain thouroughly. But it measures the level of antibodies I believe. If they are at or above a certain threshold then vaccine is not needed. Maybe someone with experiance can explain further. Alot of vets push way to much vaccination in my opinion. But thats another story all together.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
There is no scientific or immunological reason for annual vaccination.  Studies in the last few years by various vaccine manufacturers and immunologists have shown that the core vaccines (parvo and distemper; rabies is still a legal thing) last at least five (vaccine manufacturer) or seven (immunologist) years, and the immunologists feel they probably last for the life of the dog.  The compromise from the AAHA is boosters at intervals three years or longer for adult dogs.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
a puppy should have its rabies for two years in a row. on the second rabies given request a 3yr vaccine and if your vet carries it (most do) then you wont have to do rabies except for every 3 yrs

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
This is going to be a controversial subject for some time in veterinary medicine, so expect to hear a lot of conflicting information until there is some consensus on the best way to handle vaccinations.

Probably the best thing is to talk to your vet because they are the most aware of the potentional risk in your area.  I can say that Parvo and Distemper are at an all time high here, but your vet may have not seen a case in months/years.  So they are the best place to start. At the present time, the best approach to deciding how frequently to vaccinate is to evaluate the potential risks to the patient of the virus and then the potential risks of the vaccine and then to balance those against the need for protection.

That being said: Considering you are talking about a dog over a year old and has had a booster and was properly vaccinated as a puppy then it is not un-common to go to every three years with vaccinations: There are plenty that do it yearly too and some that have older dogs that only do rabies, there are people who titer test and vaccinate using those.

At the end of the day it is a personal decision!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I plan on doing q 3 yr rabies...my vet sux and just wants money...im thinking jetta would be good with the q3 year parvo distemper lep coronavirus too

if a dog is exposed to parvo and doesn't get it...does that mean he is immune?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Sorry, I didn't pick up that you were asking about a puppy.  The immunologist studies have found that one vaccination after 12 weeks of age will protect most dogs for life; the compromise is a series of vaccinations with the last one between 12-16 weeks, and then a booster one year later, after which the three-year schedule begins.

Rabies, as mentioned, is a legal issue - some states actually still have an annual rabies requirement, but thankfully they are becoming fewer and fewer.  Michigan has a three-year law - first shot by four months, second shot one year later, then every three years.

If she's already having reactions to vaccinations, then you want to be very careful about giving them - often reactions tend to increase in intensity with each vaccination.  I'd suggest asking the vet about only giving the core vaccines - or, more precisely, don't give lepto since that's a common source of reactions.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I don't know if it's an issue for you but many dog places, like doggy daycares and kennel clubs require your dog to be current and up to date on all vaccinations.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
vet reccomended lepto cuz we want to camp in woods with her...

her 8 week shot swelled her face up ear ears and her paws...we now dose with benedryl ae hr before vaccine and she gets steroid shot immediately before....

would she need the parvo distemper at a year..or do we start every 3 years next?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
aquagirl900\";p=\"49442 said:
if a dog is exposed to parvo and doesn't get it...does that mean he is immune?
It means that the dog has a high immune system not that he is immune to it. I have seen parvo in a dog as young as 7 weeks and as old as 17 months......

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
aquagirl900\";p=\"49451 said:
would she need the parvo distemper at a year..or do we start every 3 years next?
Yes she needs a booster set at one year from her final puppy shots.  Then you can go to three depending on what the state requires on your rabies that may have to be every year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts