Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last week Donners inner ear flaps have been pinker than normal, no scratching or swelling, just pink.Yesterday I noticed they were dirty and had a strange odor. Sure enough vet said it was yeast. My question now is : once his treatment is complete is yogurt a good preventative, or maybe one of the kibbles that have the active bacillus in it? Or both?

· Registered
294 Posts
I noticed the same thing with Beckham last week too.  It's just one ear that is pinker than normal and a bit smelly.  I do clean his ears with a foaming cleaner once a week, but just his left looked 'dirty' and pink.  I've noticed his nose and eyes are a bity runny lately as well.  I wonder if it's the changing of the seasons or slight allergies?  All the humans on our block are suffering from allergies :)   So I'm keeping a close eye on everything and making sure I'm cleaning his ears twice a week.
He's also going thru the switch from puppy to adult food right now.  Poor thing, all these changes are going on at the same time  :oops:

· Registered
405 Posts
If you notice excess yeast over a period of time, consider a possible allergy too. We have been struggling with an allergy with Abby...she has bare patches in her coat...for a time, she was growing hair back when we put her on Natural Balance but as it came to a standstill, we moved her to California Natural.  Her ears, which are normally cleaned about once a week, were disgusting!!! I was cleaning them 2 or 3 times a day, they were just so full of gunk. Sure enough, she started losing the hair that she had grown back.  But within a day or 2 of taking her off the California Natural, her ears started to clear up. In researching food allergies, I had read that this is a symptom of a food allergy, which was made evident here!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.