Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last week Donners inner ear flaps have been pinker than normal, no scratching or swelling, just pink.Yesterday I noticed they were dirty and had a strange odor. Sure enough vet said it was yeast. My question now is : once his treatment is complete is yogurt a good preventative, or maybe one of the kibbles that have the active bacillus in it? Or both?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Yogurt is a great preventative.  Not yeast, yogurt!!!  Sry...I'm an airhead!!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I noticed the same thing with Beckham last week too.  It's just one ear that is pinker than normal and a bit smelly.  I do clean his ears with a foaming cleaner once a week, but just his left looked 'dirty' and pink.  I've noticed his nose and eyes are a bity runny lately as well.  I wonder if it's the changing of the seasons or slight allergies?  All the humans on our block are suffering from allergies :)   So I'm keeping a close eye on everything and making sure I'm cleaning his ears twice a week.
He's also going thru the switch from puppy to adult food right now.  Poor thing, all these changes are going on at the same time  :oops:

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Lola's had a yeast infection in her ears twice.  I've started giving her yogurt with her food in the morning.  Hope this works!  Poor things could scratch her ears off!  Good luck with Donner!

·
Registered
405 Posts
If you notice excess yeast over a period of time, consider a possible allergy too. We have been struggling with an allergy with Abby...she has bare patches in her coat...for a time, she was growing hair back when we put her on Natural Balance but as it came to a standstill, we moved her to California Natural.  Her ears, which are normally cleaned about once a week, were disgusting!!! I was cleaning them 2 or 3 times a day, they were just so full of gunk. Sure enough, she started losing the hair that she had grown back.  But within a day or 2 of taking her off the California Natural, her ears started to clear up. In researching food allergies, I had read that this is a symptom of a food allergy, which was made evident here!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts