Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new pup, 9 weeks old. We brought her home at 6 1/2 weeks. She has been extremely healthy and playfull, normal puppy. We changed her food from puppy food sent home with her, to canidae all life stages, about 1 week after she was home. She did fine until this last week, she has now had diarreah for 5 or so days, and it is not going away. We started a blan diet, rice and cottage cheese, and she is now all "yellow" no kidding. Very bright color, no darkness at all. The vet doesnt know what is going on, we did parvo test, x-ray, blood test, nothing shows. No blockages apparent, no toxins, no parvo, we did stool sample, shows no signs of parasites. She had a little blood in her diarreah 2 times now also. We rae so worried. She has vomited only 3 times throught the past 5 days. She is acting normal, and looks like she is feeling good, no apparent discomfort. She is not drinking as much. We put her on another de-wormer medication she finished this weekend, which we started after the diarreah happened. We also started an anti diarreah and antibiotic medication yesterday. The last option the vet says is watch her - hospitalize her, and give her fluids.... we are very worried and are looking for anyone that may have had similar symptems and or has suggestions. My breeder told me put her back on new type of "puppy" food, and add metamucil 2 times a day... anyone with any information please help....

Attachments

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Just like ssimmons99 said, I was going to suggest your vet do a test for Giardia and also Coccidia? And yes, feed the boiled chicken and rice until this clears up. The cottage cheese can be hard on their tiny tummies.
Here are a couple of links for you to read. I hope this helps, and please keep us updated on your little pups condition. Give that girl a hug from me too!

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/gia.html

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/diarrhea.html#Changes

Lisa

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you,

I have looked into the links and will request a giardia test be done. I am not sure what is happening but her stool is very yellow in color, strangest thing ive ever seen. I will keep the post going with updates and news and if anyone has anything else to offer, please do so!

·
Registered
977 Posts
OMG Tootsie that link is scary! The photo next to "viruses" is a nightmare - but you're right it's best to be aware of these things. Once a year i take Voltaire for a jab of "enduracell" and last year it was "lepto". I'm going to check straight away and find out what protection it gives. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
HITECHBOXER\";p=\"5778 said:
her stool is very yellow in color, strangest thing ive ever seen.
I'm not too sure on the yellow color, but sometimes Maddie will throw up yellow foamy stuff, that is bile. Maybe that has something to do with the color as well??? I'll try to find something on that....

And yes that link has some pretty "graphic" pictures, but sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. Sorry, I should have posted a warning maybe?   :?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I spoke with the vet again and Cali is now on Flagyl, which is an antibiotic and anti-diarreah medication, which does cover Gianda if that is the case, we still have not tested for it but this should be the treatment. No one seems to know for sure what the case is, however last night I boiled chicken breast, chopped and fed her with rice and chicken stock from water (no salt) and she loved it! Again this morning and her stool is looking like it is a little bit darker, but still yellow, now almost green in color. If anyone is interested I can post picture!! I know it sounds kinds gross. Any how thank you all for your suggestions and I will keep you posted. She is acting good though!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Glad to hear that she is starting to get better...Keep an eye on her and give her a big hug for me....We hate seeing our babies sick, huh?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Glad to hear Cali is feeling better. She may just get used to you cooking for her!  :p  You could also try giving her some yogurt while she is taking the antibiotics. Antibiotics also kill the good bacteria, and yogurt with live active cultures helps re-establish the balance. Just about a teaspoon a day of plain unsweetened yogurt would probably do wonders for her.  Good Luck and let us know how she does.   :wink:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you I will try the yogurt tonight. I did start her last night on about 1/2 to 1 cup of puppy dry food mixed in with rice and chicken, and chicken broth. Her stool darkened to brown again, whew it must have been the white rice and cottage cheese making everything yellow. Very strange. The flagyl seems to have helped, or something did a little. She doesnt have the excessive diarreah anymore, but still no firm stool. Very soft. Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Glad she's  feeling better!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts