Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Jax is way young to be expecting much besides distracting him at his age, but as Ashley aged, we had a strict LAW ( it it my command..as I will not have her at the table while eating! ).She is trained to go to "CARPET" when we sit down. Our kitchen table is on tile, and these darm smart dogs of ours know the difference between textures! She will actually go lay on te edge of the carpet, and just watch..never even puts a paw on the tile.
NOT that hard to train...every time we sat down, she was taken to this spot, asked for "sit, down, and STAY" then was given constant praise at first while we ate if she did not get up. I am guessing it took all of 4 meals before she knew what this meant ( just something she knws is not part of the boxer family scene..and she doesn't seem to mind! ).
I have to laugh when we have company over and sit down to eat, and they are holding their plates like they know a dog will soon be begging in their laps, and I give her the "carpet" command"..and off she goes, and we have a peacefull meal. The poor thing even layed on her spot 2 nights ago and watched the brother-in-laws bratty excuse for a Malteese run under the table while we ate, and she never got up...I was SOOOOOO proud of her!
Good luck with Jax..it takes time and patience, but these dogs CAN be trained to stay away from the table while you eat!!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AshleysMom\";p=\"128652 said:
Jax is way young to be expecting much besides distracting him at his age, but as Ashley aged, we had a strict LAW ( it it my command..as I will not have her at the table while eating! ).She is trained to go to "CARPET" when we sit down. Our kitchen table is on tile, and these darm smart dogs of ours know the difference between textures! She will actually go lay on te edge of the carpet, and just watch..never even puts a paw on the tile.
NOT that hard to train...every time we sat down, she was taken to this spot, asked for "sit, down, and STAY" then was given constant praise at first while we ate if she did not get up. I am guessing it took all of 4 meals before she knew what this meant ( just something she knws is not part of the boxer family scene..and she doesn't seem to mind! ).
I have to laugh when we have company over and sit down to eat, and they are holding their plates like they know a dog will soon be begging in their laps, and I give her the "carpet" command"..and off she goes, and we have a peacefull meal. The poor thing even layed on her spot 2 nights ago and watched the brother-in-laws bratty excuse for a Malteese run under the table while we ate, and she never got up...I was SOOOOOO proud of her!
Good luck with Jax..it takes time and patience, but these dogs CAN be trained to stay away from the table while you eat!!
Thanks. I just talked to a friend, and he said he has his dog "stay" at a particular area when they eat also. He said he accomplished this at about 6 months old. I will have to try that later. Our big problem is, we tend to eat in the living room  :?

And thanks Heather, I guess I will use "distraction" for now. We don't get to eat dinner at the same time each day, so distraction will be better than trying to feed him. I guess he will have a "treat time" now. :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
And I have 3 hooligans! Lol Flick has learned to follow the leader, so was talking to Marq about doing something like Linda does...Flick started in doing the yapping and jumping the other nite and I won't have any part of that....But what one does, I have to teach all 3 to do...Marq has a bad habit of feeding them at the table, so this would put a stop to that...

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Fiona never received food from the table or was even allowed in the kitchen when we ate....so in return she does not beg or watch us when we eat.....we started this when she was young by telling her "no kitchen" when we were cooking/eating......she just learned to not do it.....now....enter Cassie....when she first came to our house she would sit and watch you eat every hand movement her eyes were glued to you and with the same lesson of "no kitchen".....meaning not allowed in the kitchen while cooking/eating.....she has also learned to not come in there and beg :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. Right now, I think I just need to keep him occupied. He is not whining because he wants food, but because he wants out of his crate. He will NEVER get table scraps from us.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts