Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a trainer for Isis, and must say it's doing a world of a good.  The one thing my girl has had from birth is attitude and to be very dominant (with humans and animals).  The trainer started teaching her down yesterday, and literally was pushing her to lay down.  She was as stiff as a board, and was not going to bow down to the trainer.  He tried at least 15 times, and she finally gave in a little bit.  Stubborn as mule!  He had me try it, and nothing...girl would not budge.  He went to try it again, and she attacked him!!!  I was so upset.  He told me don't be upset, put your emotions aside, and we will just continue like nothing happened.  After a few more times, she finally submitted and stayed down (still stiff as board).

I knew my girl was dominant, but dam, she is a real spit fire.

Does anyone else have a dominant female?

Rob

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Does anyone else have a dominant female?
To a point, but she is much better.  She gets NOTHING unless she works for it.   I have found the NILF (Nothing in life is free) method to work very well with Hanna.   If she *wants* it she will have to do what *I*I want before she gets it.  If not, she is shat out of luck!!!    A method of controling the dog, and not the dog controlling you!

Good Luck, and hope things work out with the trainer.   However make sure the trainer allows you to work with Isis as well, because its *you* who needs to learn how to be the controller, with the instruction of the trainer!!   Keep us updated!!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Ha! Lucy was exactly the same way - she would not lay down for anything when we started training. I was so frustrated. She is much better now though. Sam was much easier to train than Lucy. She is sooooo stubborn!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I had trouble forcing my dog to lie down, way back when, as well.  Once I switched my perception, dumped the whole "dominance theory" nonsense, and started teaching him what I wanted *before* requiring it of him, and "explaining" to him that doing what I wanted was always better than not doing what I wanted, we got much further, much faster. :)  At least the trainer understood that her 'attack' on him was a normal reaction to being physically forced into a submissive position - some trainers would have reacted with even more aggression!  More information on NILIF, if you haven't seen it already, is here:

http://www.goof.com/~pmurphy/NILIF.html
http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm
http://www.4pawsu.com/leaderadv.htm

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah is not dominant but really stubborn, she also has to work for what ever she gets.  The only command Keegan knew when i got him is sit, now he knows that he has to sit and wait quietly for his food; also for me to bring them outside or if I am letting someone in the door (still a work in progress) and have just begun down.  I will be taking him to classes this summer.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Delila is on the dominant side, I to do NILF. It really works. she has to sit and wait for meals, treats, going outdoors, ect. I am working on her jumping as it is  a work in progress. She has to be careful with my husband as he has diabetes and poor circlation in his legs. A bruise or wound can cost him his legs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts