Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the mall last night, and of course I can't walk past the pet shop without taking a peek inside, I don't know why I do it though because I always leave almost in tears and feeling so bad for the dogs.

I walk in last night and instantly see a beautiful boxer puppy!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yeah, that's really hard. My bf won't even let me go in pet stores most of the time for that reason. Down the block from our house there is  a pet store where the puppies are out in front of the window. It's right in front of a light and i almost slam into the car in front of me every day b/c i'm always stretching my neck out the otehr way to see the dogs. I'm goign to have to black out my right window soon.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
It's amazing, isn't it, that a pet store puppy often costs just as much if not more than a well-bred puppy from health-tested parents?  

Is it true that all "store" puppies are from puppy mills?
No - in fact most pet store puppies are not from puppy mills at all, since in most states it's illegal for pet stores to purchase puppies from mills.  Most pet store puppies are from USDA-licensed commercial breeding operations (especially chain stores), which are certainly not the best sources for happy, healthy, stable, long-lived puppies, but the pups are generally much better cared-for than those from puppy mills and often even than those from the careless breeder down the street.

There has to be a better way to sell puppies, besides from breeders.
Why "besides from breeders"?

We would have far fewer issues with dogs in shelters, dogs with severe health problems, dangerous or vicious dogs, etc., if the only place people bought puppies was from conscientious, responsible home breeders.  

Of course, with the anti-breeder legislation that is sweeping the country those breeders may soon become few and far between - then owning a purebred dog really will be something only the very wealthy can afford....

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
My sister got hers from the pet store for about 1800.00 NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Hanna who's parents were health tested, and everything was 850.00!    She has had nothing but health issues with her female.  Me, a couple of ear infections, UTI and alergies.

However they do drop the price as the dog gets older.   They need to get them out before another shipment comes in.   Its sad they charge so much - and its even sadder that people give in an pay it.   The ironic thing is if people knew much more, they could for their 1500.00 buy a top of the line pup - health tested and to standard!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it true that all "store" puppies are from puppy mills?

No - in fact most pet store puppies are not from puppy mills at all, since in most states it's illegal for pet stores to purchase puppies from mills.  Most pet store puppies are from USDA-licensed commercial breeding operations (especially chain stores), which are certainly not the best sources for happy, healthy, stable, long-lived puppies, but the pups are generally much better cared-for than those from puppy mills and often even than those from the careless breeder down the street.
Well, that makes me feel a little better.  

Why "besides from breeders"?
We would have far fewer issues with dogs in shelters, dogs with severe health problems, dangerous or vicious dogs, etc., if the only place people bought puppies was from conscientious, responsible home breeders.
I totally agree with you.  

I was thinking more along the lines of how could someone that wants a puppy but isn't educated in the whole breeding aspect find one.  For example - how could the 70 year old man and the 20 year old kid that I saw in there last night buying puppies, go about doing so when I'm sure, not positive, but have a feeling that they wouldn't know how to go about finding a breeder. There has to be a better way to "display" (and I use that term lightly) the puppies, in a more comfortable, home like atmosphere. Besides sticking them in a small metal cage with a plastic bottom and that's it.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
1500 bucks is ridiculous, what's even worse is that boxer came from a puppy mill!  I will not even look at pets in stores.  These dogs have turned me into a sensitive guy, and I'm sorry that these dogs are in crates and so forth, but until people decide they aren't going to support or buy puppies like that, then this problem will continue.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I won't go into pet stores that sell dogs either, I would either come out in tears or with a puppy (if I could afford it).  We only have one in town that does and I hate that it stays in business.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I was thinking more along the lines of how could someone that wants a puppy but isn't educated in the whole breeding aspect find one.  For example - how could the 70 year old man and the 20 year old kid that I saw in there last night buying puppies, go about doing so when I'm sure, not positive, but have a feeling that they wouldn't know how to go about finding a breeder. There has to be a better way to "display" (and I use that term lightly) the puppies, in a more comfortable, home like atmosphere. Besides sticking them in a small metal cage with a plastic bottom and that's it.
Oh, I gotcha!  Yes, there probably is a better way to house pet store puppies - some stores are better than others in this regard, with 'puppy rooms' rather than cages, but they're generally high-priced, small-breed puppies; it's just not cost-efficient for most stores, especially chains and mall-type stores.  The bigger issue really is how to educate the public about conscientious breeders and why they should be buying puppies from them.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
we have a chain store here "just paws" (I think that's what its called) anyways they had a 3 months old boxer puppy one time for $2700!  8O

·
Registered
880 Posts
I can't stand one of our pet stores in town simply because they sell puppies.  I  have a friend who works for the human shelter and she says that she would estimate half of their dogs come from that particular pet store, because people buy the pups and don't want them later.  The pet store has no screening process for potential buyers. You have the money heres your puppy.  To make it worse its a college town so college students buy puppies that can't afford or keep...errrrrrr.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts